Nor-star Kingfisher help needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daren Worboys

Hi I built this Nor-star Kingfisher over a 15 year period.

I bought it from a wholesaler that was closing up in West Ryde Sydney Australia in 1984 (with 2 x Skidaddles, Nor-star Kingfisher, Thriftway too & a bunch of plane kits) I gave it to my brother as a birthday present to get him into RC boats as he also raced cars at the time, It was never build I got it back in 2000 as he was moving house again. I framed it up at work using Worth cyno coated it with epoxy sanded it and painted it to box art specs. I powered it with an old stock 540 with a water cooling ring from ebay the scoop and driveline came from the wholesaler I used a 3000ma nimh battery and an old novak car speedo it's heavy runs well gets on the plane the water squirts out the back so the cooling is ok.

But it smokes motors they only last about 3 charges of the battery, the battery is not hot the speedo is warm the prop is threaded onto the shaft so is a pain Help please ?

Regards DarenIMG_3623.jpgIMG_3670.jpgIMG_3694.jpgIMG_3695.jpgIMG_3696.jpgIMG_3697.jpgIMG_3699.jpgIMG_3700.jpgIMG_3701.jpgIMG_3702.jpg

how free is the driveline? if the grease is old and hard in the stuffing tube it will only get worse when things heat up. make sure that nothing binds at all with the motor disconnected.

Daren, you need to remove the sticker on the motor to at least give the cooing coil a chance at removing some heat.
The Tamiya and Sermos connectors are not helping reduce your resistance between the battery and motor either.

I am assuming you are just running 6 or 7 cells at most with that combination?

Two things:
1. The prop may be too big for the motor. The motor may be drawing more current than it can handle
2. The prop looked like a right hand prop. So the motor has to be turning clockwise. It is a brushed motor. If it is set up to run left hand (most likely), making it turn counterclockwise can be an issue especially you are placing a high load

Curious what's actually taking the thrust load? Is it a stock motor with bushings? Might need a thrust washer assembly between the universal and the motor can?

Ok thanks I ordered a LH M4 prop, removed motor connectors soldered direct now, unfortunately stuck with Tamiya plug for the battery as we run vintage scale Tamiya cars, the thrust is taken at the prop end. I will see how it goes with the new prop, it was always going to be a shelf queen.

My next boat is going to be a FE Thriftway Too based of a Dumas Miss Unlimited kit that is for use at our local lake as a fun boat and to practice my build technique, then I have a couple of old Octura White heat boats to build I have collected the motors, drivelines and vintage valve radio for the White Heat V (5)

Thanks Daren

you are likely seeing smoke from the silicone seal you have on the shaft inside the boat.. remove that and try again.

Mike

Latest posts

Back