What was your first RC outboard?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first boat was a Dumas hot shot IV. I was 14 and it was '91. I remember being a bit overwhelmed when I opened the box of sticks....I expected it to be a bit more finished than it was. That being said, I Built it in my bedroom with the limited tools resources I had. Let's just say my carpet was shot, the radio box was far from waterproof and the paint job....marginal. The first time I got it up on plane I was hooked. If anybody has an unbuilt hotshot 4 kit around let me know, maybe jerry Dunlap??i know at one point I had a pic.....I will have to dig a bit.
Eric,

I am trying to sell this Hot Shot IV if you would like it. Decks are not glued on yet, so you have total access to the interior. Mike

20140709_071509_zps9641cd62.jpg

20140709_071502_zps2a98d6e6.jpg

20140709_071454_zps7fa5c982.jpg

20140709_071527_zps483620c3.jpg

And this was my first O/B tunnel, a 48" DPI tunnel with .67 K&B.

DSC_0269.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

Dumas hotshot w/exhaust throttle K&B engine,pickle forked hull,inset transom,painted it pink and white....

Dumas Hotshot .45. It was a fun play boat. When I relocated to the Twin Cities from the wilds of northern Minnesota, I started my first racing season with a Mac powered TS2 that literally disintegrated before the second point race. Put the Mac on a XTR-21 Leecraft and raced it for the remainder of that season and two that followed. That over powered Leecraft taught me all to well that the fastest boat doesn't necessarily win...or finish the heat. Curtis Beaumont is doing quite well racing that XTR-21 in Sport tunnel with an OS on it.

Now your bringing back some great memories. My brother Mike and I started out in 1978 with the flat nose Hot Shots and K&Bs with exhaust throttle. We would use a dremel to slot the exhaust holes into one opening. Mike didn't know you could take the insert out of the venturi and turn the spray bar down a little. I was faster but he was the better driver so he usually won. We then stepped up to the "El Diablos" from Crapshooter. Ordered the kits from Tower Hobbies. On those K&Bs we were running crankcase pressure and the open hole where the carb was supposed to be. I had a 60 degree countersink that we would run down into the carb boss to taper the entrance. We had a water fitting in one of the setscrew holes and it just dumped fuel in. We used a K&B aux needle for fuel flow. Because of the crankcase pressure it dumped the same amount of fuel all the time. For exhaust we would silver solder a 1/2" copper elbow to a stainless flange. We ran a 3 1/4" long stub pipe (K&S) soldered into the elbow and then a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer soldered to the end of the stub. Loud didn't describe it, the noise was painful on the bank when running. We were running high 50's, and an occasional 60mph. we really thought we had something. We painted them the same except for different numbers, not recommended when you have to race each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't go back that far, nice info Dave.
default_cool.png
92 my first stick build from plans off Boat Modeler Mag plans. GP 12 outboard tunnel hull designed by John Starks. Setup for Electric blew plans up 20% and slapped a 3.5 K&B on it. Fun times
default_wink.png

My first boat was a Dumas hot shot IV. I was 14 and it was '91. I remember being a bit overwhelmed when I opened the box of sticks....I expected it to be a bit more finished than it was. That being said, I Built it in my bedroom with the limited tools resources I had. Let's just say my carpet was shot, the radio box was far from waterproof and the paint job....marginal. The first time I got it up on plane I was hooked. If anybody has an unbuilt hotshot 4 kit around let me know, maybe jerry Dunlap??i know at one point I had a pic.....I will have to dig a bit.
Eric,

I am trying to sell this Hot Shot IV if you would like it. Decks are not glued on yet, so you have total access to the interior. Mike

Mike, I may be interested.......I'll send you a PM.

I was very Lucky.

My first out board was Mike Z own Villan S1 he sent to Australia for the 2006 Nationals.

Awsome fellas. Keep them coming.

I also built one of those Ray! Normal size though. Loved to flip over backwards haha

Cant find a pic- but it was one of those belt driven Kyosho ABS hulls- the name alludes me as its a memory I would rather forget
default_rolleyes.gif

my first boat. a lap cat 2 with a red head k&b 7.5. had more power than the hull could handle, flipped it so many times I mastered flushing and cleaning the motor. finally cracked the hull and bought a b&m leecraft and it ran awesome. still have the boat & motor but the lap cat is long gone ,that was 15 years ago

My first OB boat was a Klamp on Kai with a exhaust throttle K&B 3.5 that was 1972. I wish I had a photo.

Sorry about my other post 1st boat owned and raced was 7.5 Aeromaine tunnel but the 1st boat I actually owned was a round nose Ed Huey boat with .21 inboard. The second boat was the dreaded "Dragon Fly."

one of the very early prototype tomscat that glen built with a 3.5 k&b and i still have it and i'm in the process of getting it going again

DSCF7733.JPG

Hi,

My very first outbord tunnel was this i build with playwood 1980 .Outbord was selfbuild .reworked Keller electric motor for 16-20 sub-c .brastube with flexkabel from K&B and propshaft no skegfin and no turnfin. But performs well as the tunnel has sero V at the front of the sponson and rise to 14 degre V at the stern . Pro was a 1.6 Octura Competition . This are the only parts i can get at this time in Germany.

If you like i can post some pic of following tunnels i build.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1995 Dumas abs Hotshot Sprint with bone stock K&B, "raced" my son and his MRP 5 yrs. Discovered better boats and real racing, but must admit those first 5 yrs were a lot of fun! Recently feeling a new birth with a Mini Sprint FE in the hands of a young grandson, when I'm willing to share LOL Thanks to all for sharing their stories.

Wallster

My first tunnel I bought from the money I earned during summer holiday of 1992 and I bought a Hot Shot IV. Had a lot of fun with it. At some point some one ran over the boat and damaged the cowl. Later on I made my own cowl as my first glass fiber project.

hotshot5.jpg
it.

hotshot15.jpg

Back