My First boat what was yours ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daren Worboys

Hi This is the boat I first built as a 10 year old its 44 years old now (Keil Kraft ? tug 4.5 volt). I built rubber powered planes first then progressed to control line (U-control) the next was just a framed up White Heat 60 that I scaled up from an old book it came out with a huge twist and sat like that unfinished for 15 years until I binned it Regards Daren (more to come)

Attachments

• IMG_3616.jpg
    IMG_3616.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3615.jpg
    IMG_3615.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3614.jpg
    IMG_3614.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
Nice tug though it looks like it's missing a stack. Nothing a piece of dowel won't fix.
My first boat was a Dumas Sport 20 Pay'N Pak. It was admittedly poorly built as racing boats go as I didn't have a clue as to how to build it but it did run and float. Learned a lot from it, but not enough. My second boat, A Dumas Sport 40 Blue Blaster, was built better but still not up to racing standards

Last edited:
My third boat it might be a bit heavy it's not been run but was finished 15 years ago. Dumas Hotshot Sprint 7.5 (not sure what version) I own this by default a mate decided to give up the drink (1 bottle of scotch a night + beers) so needed a hobby he decided to build a boat, he got to frame up then panicked he was in over his head so I fitted out a small 2nd hand v bottom fibreglass hull with a Leo 21 pull start and radio gear it ran and he had fun. I raced radio control cars at the time.

Attachments

• IMG_3612.jpg
    IMG_3612.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3613.jpg
    IMG_3613.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
Skidaddle 20. I made the mistake of of using the suggested hardware. Tore out the straight shaft and put in a flex shaft. Much better, but still a water turkey. I think the K&B 3.5 was too much for early Dumas boats that were designed around a Veco 19.

Kraft 72 radio I bought second hand with a brick receiver. The brick was two servos and reciever in one package. Nicads too. Pretty fancy stuff back then.

Last edited:
Mine was a Dumas Hotshot The Flat nose version 1981. Got a great story about that one and many others
Tell the story! That was my first boat too! Had the first run K&B 3.5 O.B. with the stock exhaust throttle and short skeg....ran GREAT!
Made it around the course about a lap and a half, and blew it off the water.....got a nice round of applause for that trick as a rookie LOL!!

1977 3.5 K&B outboard glass shallow V

Attachments

• 97D92443-CC22-4D3B-B6E8-4C93F4738CB4.jpeg
    97D92443-CC22-4D3B-B6E8-4C93F4738CB4.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 35
  • E3167003-2B7B-4EFC-8C11-80C30F9EE284.jpeg
    E3167003-2B7B-4EFC-8C11-80C30F9EE284.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 33
Tell the story! That was my first boat too! Had the first run K&B 3.5 O.B. with the stock exhaust throttle and short skeg....ran GREAT!
Made it around the course about a lap and a half, and blew it off the water.....got a nice round of applause for that trick as a rookie LOL!!
We ran boats in a small pond off of a dock. Cat tails everywhere,it lost control went into the cat tails,we searched for 15 minutes. Finally a guy saw a piece of orange paint on a sewer pipe. It went to the street,we opened a manhole cover in the middle of the street and there my boat was over 100 feet from the cat tails

my 1st boat was a 32 lap cat with a 7.5 red head pro on it, way overpowered . learned fast how to flush water out of a motor. shelved that boat and put the motor on a b/m leecraft. like night and day. still brings back fond memories when I see a lap cat run

I started building model boats by cutting a pointed bow in a 2"X4", tying a string to a nail in the bow, and towing it through a mud puddle in the late 1940s. In the early 50s, I cut pieces of plywood to resemble unlimited hydroplanes and towed them behind my bike. My first powered model boats were free running runabout designs with a small electric outboard and Miss Thriftway kits powered by .049 engines.
In 1965, I built my first RC boat. It was an original design ski boat powered by a .19 size engine that I don't remember the name. It wasn't a Veco 19, that would come later. The boat was controlled by a Kraft 3 channel reed system. Turns were made by blipping the steering toggle and the throttle servo was linear so you blipped it up to the desired setting and the servo would stay in that position. I had screwed the engine into the top of 3/8" cedar engine rails. The first time I tried running the boat was at a Seattle Model Yacht Club fun run. I couldn't get the engine to start using the leather shoe string. A member of the SMYC offered to help, criss-crossed his starting rope around the flywheel, and jerked the engine off the starting rails. Needless to say, my first attempt at running a model boat was less than successful. However, the members of the SMYC were very helpful providing information on how to properly install a model engine. This was way before screw down radio box lids or radio box tape. A cup hook in the bottom of the boat, one in the hatch, and a rubber band kept the hatch on the deck. To absorb water that always got in the boat, I stuck chunks of sponge. My first RC boat was soon dubbed "The Flying Sponge." Even after a challenging start, I'm still enjoying 55 years of RC model boating.DSCN1758 (2).JPG
JD

Skidaddle 20. I made the mistake of of using the suggested hardware. Tore out the straight shaft and put in a flex shaft. Much better, but still a water turkey. I think the K&B 3.5 was too much for early Dumas boats that were designed around a Veco 19.

Kraft 72 radio I bought second hand with a brick receiver. The brick was two servos and reciever in one package. Nicads too. Pretty fancy stuff back then.
Sounds like me, except for a few minor differences:
1) Instead of the Kraft radio, I used a Futaba twin stick as they were readily available in 1982. Mine was a 72MHz on the old Blue/White channel, 72.160 MHz. I didn't know it at the time, but I was using a radio that was for aircraft, sold to me by a Navy base hobby shop clerk that didn't know any better either.
2) I used an HB .20, nothing more than a water cooled airplane engine with a maximum RPM of 17K, not nearly enough to push that heavy boat. It probably would have worked good on a "Windy" with a 9X6 prop, using a water pick up to cool it.
Like you, I also used the Dumas hardware kit, not knowing any better at the time. By the time I was done building it, it weighed roughly 8 pounds, more than some Sport 40s of that era. Needless to say, it was doomed to fail, and it did in 1986 when I hit a rock in the lake at Jensen Grove Park in Blackfoot ID. Boat broke in half but somehow made it back to shore where I recovered it. I ended up taking it home, stripped it down for anything still usable and threw what was left in the trash o_O

Last edited:
The only reason I did get it back was the solid drive shaft. It was slightly bent but straight enough, along with a retaining collar that prevented the shaft from slipping out of the engine coupling, to keep the boat together enough to make it the twenty or so yards to the beach. If it wasn't for that, I probably would have had to go swimming :eek:

Dumas kits were my entry back in 1979-80 ,K&B engines like 6 packs of beer, what a mess....................

Attachments

• Dumas Sport 20 (1).jpg
    Dumas Sport 20 (1).jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Dumas Sport 20 (2).jpg
    Dumas Sport 20 (2).jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Sport 40 Bardahl (2).jpg
    Sport 40 Bardahl (2).jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Sport 40 Bardahl (3).jpg
    Sport 40 Bardahl (3).jpg