Madison regatta (Big Boats)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning to be there Sunday but this is my first time. I was wondering what you guys normally take with you and is there specific parking or is it first come first served in the downtown area? Also what's the best time to get there? Mike
There is parking near the river for cash, but lots of streets to find a spot to park and walk 3-4 blocks down to the riverfront.

I like to bring one of those small luggage carts for the chairs and cooler.

What to bring:

Sun glasses

hat instead of or in addition to sun glasses

chair or blanket to sit on

camera(this is optional)

club to beat people if they try to take your spot on the hillside(again, this is optional and not strongly recommended)

Walking shoes

towel if you plan to swim in the river

food and drinks(if allowed, I know it is in Seattle)

money for T-shirts and other keepsake type of items and additional food

NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning to be there Sunday but this is my first time. I was wondering what you guys normally take with you and is there specific parking or is it first come first served in the downtown area? Also what's the best time to get there? Mike

Mike there are alot of places to park downtown the earlier you get in the morning the easier it is to find one close. also bringing chairs cooler full of drinks and snacks there are vendors but some of them tend to be pricey. and yes you can drink alcohol on the river its one of the few times you can walk around with a beer in your hand. hope you have a wonderful time.

Chris Thornton

I recommend leaving the alcohol alone this weekend. Alcohol tends to dehydrate and with the forcasted temperatures in the 90's for the weekend, stick to water, pop and Gatorade. Last thing anyone needs is to be taken to the hospital with a saline bag attached to their arm. Just my opinion on this one. I know Seattle has set up a beer garden to eliminate alcohol on the lakeshore due to roudy drunks, so..........................................

I recommend leaving the alcohol alone this weekend. Alcohol tends to dehydrate and with the forcasted temperatures in the 90's for the weekend, stick to water, pop and Gatorade. Last thing anyone needs is to be taken to the hospital with a saline bag attached to their arm. Just my opinion on this one. I know Seattle has set up a beer garden to eliminate alcohol on the lakeshore due to roudy drunks, so..........................................
It's no fun being responsible. :) I have found two beers to one water is a good ratio for me. :)

I agree about being responsible, but at the same time, it's no fun being hospitalized either from dehydration

Qualifying is over for the day, Spirit of Qatar edges Oh Boy! Oberto/Miss Madison for the top spot by less than .5 MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rest of the field is between 8 and 10 MPH slower, though it's not as bad as it seems as the drivers will have to fight for lanes throughout the weekend on a very short 1.75 mile course.

Qualifying is over for the day, Spirit of Qatar edges Oh Boy! Oberto/Miss Madison for the top spot by less than .5 MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rest of the field is between 8 and 10 MPH slower, though it's not as bad as it seems as the drivers will have to fight for lanes throughout the weekend on a very short 1.75 mile course.
last year steve david had the top speed at 157mhp. No biggie.. as long he wins his heats that matters in the points standings.

QUALIFYING DOES MATTER THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since the boats are fighting for lanes all weekend, where the boats qualify gets them points at the rate of 10% of running a heat. This means that the Qatar earned 40 points and the Oberto earned 30. That 10 points could make the difference between making the final or not as well as where the boat starts in the final, front row or back row. The higher speeds attained last year were also on a longer 2.5 mile course. Since the course was shortened as to not go under the bridge due to construction, the speeds are slower so you won't see a 150+ lap this time around

QUALIFYING DOES MATTER THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since the boats are fighting for lanes all weekend, where the boats qualify gets them points at the rate of 10% of running a heat. This means that the Qatar earned 40 points and the Oberto earned 30. That 10 points could make the difference between making the final or not as well as where the boat starts in the final, front row or back row. The higher speeds attained last year were also on a longer 2.5 mile course. Since the course was shortened as to not go under the bridge due to construction, the speeds are slower so you won't see a 150+ lap this time around
NO DOY!!! BUT IT MATTERS IF YOU WIN YOUR HEATS!!!~! TO GET YOUR POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a great day of friends, and boats. nice meeting you Hydro Junkie and Miss Hydro Junkie. By the way that was a good first run on your boat. Good day all boats left in one piece and everyone left full of food.

I would like to thank Maddog and all the others(sorry everyone but I don't remember all the screen names) for everything today. I agree, for a first run, it did look really good. Hopefully there will be a next time as well. I would also like to thank Gale54 for helping me out as well. It's been a fun weekend already and there's still heats 2 and 3 as well as the finals to go. More reports to come tomorrow :D

Just thought I would post a picture of the new boat after a successful first run :D

It will get paint and fine tuning when I get it home :)

Just thought I would post a picture of the new boat after a successful first run :D

It will get paint and fine tuning when I get it home :)
Glad to hear the boat ran. You where in the same shape as the 88 team. How ever they have still not been in the water.

Very cool video. What kind of lateral G's are these guys experiencing in the corners? Safety harness straps are standing out pretty good in the corners!

When you figure they were on a 2.5 mile course with top speeds in excess of 200 MPH at the entrance bouys, you can figure 4+ easily

Back