low profile 3rd channel needle bases

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carlnoki said:
too much vibration to do that Joe.
92466[/snapback]

What's the differance in having a needle on the rail vs the carb? Not much. I ran a 40 RoadRunner this way for 3 seasons without any problems. If you have enough vibration to damage a needle, you're damaging things already. What amazes me is that I thought a 40 Roadrunner was narrow! It's a wide body compared to your SGX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

with these great mids helping you out the world might come to a halt! :lol:

Can you imagine the inventors of the olden days being told to leave well enough alone or don't change something! B)

Joe_Knesek said:
carlnoki said:
92466[/snapback]

What's the differance in having a needle on the rail vs the carb? Not much. I ran a 40 RoadRunner this way for 3 seasons without any problems. If you have enough vibration to damage a needle, you're damaging things already. What amazes me is that I thought a 40 Roadrunner was narrow! It's a wide body compared to your SGX.

92467[/snapback]

Quite the contrary. If you have a 3rd channel needle on the carb, between the servo trying to hold the setting & the engine vibrating, it's like a buzz saw on the O rings. I used to run all my boats this way & found myself changing needle O rings at the start of every season, sometimes more often. :eek:

Don Ferrette said:
Joe_Knesek said:
carlnoki said:
92466[/snapback]

92467[/snapback]

Quite the contrary. If you have a 3rd channel needle on the carb, between the servo trying to hold the setting & the engine vibrating, it's like a buzz saw on the O rings. I used to run all my boats this way & found myself changing needle O rings at the start of every season, sometimes more often. :eek:

92474[/snapback]

After looking @ your boat, it seems like it's too narrow to use the rail anyway. What Tony sent you seems like the best idea so far. It would be nice if you didn't have to drill through the side of the boat though. If you've been using T-nuts to mount the needle, a company called TakeOff makes some real nice anodized aluminum T-nuts with titanium screws that look much better than Dubro.

Joe_Knesek said:
It would be nice if you didn't have to drill through the side of the boat though. If you've been using T-nuts to mount the needle, a  company called TakeOff makes some real nice anodized aluminum T-nuts with titanium screws that look much better than Dubro.
92479[/snapback]

I got some really nice countersunk allen head stainless 4-40 & 6-32 bolts from McMaster-Carr that work great & sit flush. Granted, you still drill a small hole in the boat but it looks nice. :)

John Finch said:
Don,Just signed on at the motel.  Now that you have heard back from everyone you know exactly what has to be done.  Modify the ones you have.

92489[/snapback]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don, I think what your trying to do is make a carb with no barrel. Use the OS mix control and turn the spray bar at a 90 to the inlet. The mounting block has to be machined just a carb inlet with flow in and out in the direction you want. I'll give it some thought to see what I can come up with. I have the machines in shop to do it. Just have to get the right tooling. Talk to me direct if you have any ideas. Ray Sametz PS 80 boat looks great but that bench needs clean up. :p :p

Ray Sametz said:
Talk to me direct if you have any ideas. Ray Sametz PS 80 boat looks great but that bench needs clean up. :p   :p
92497[/snapback]

The pic that Tony Jacuzzi posted is basically what I want with the only exception being the inlet/outlet & mount tab positions are switched. Needle base will be located at right rear of tub with inlet/outlet facing forward. :)

You should see the part of the work benches I kept out of the pic. :p

Don,

I really like your drawing, that would be a nice solution for a couple of my boats. I think I will try to make me one of those.

Do you know what the thread size is of the OS needle?

Thanks

Mike

MikeP said:
Don,
I really like your drawing, that would be a nice solution for a couple of my boats. I think I will try to make me one of those.

Do you know what the thread size is of the OS needle?

Thanks

Mike

92549[/snapback]

I'll save you the trouble, if this comes together like I want this piece will be readily available to all. Just be a little patient..... :)

Don Ferrette said:
For some reason the drawing I tried to attach to last post didn't work. Keep in mind this is a rather rough & quick sketch but here's what I had in mind. This will even fit under the cowl of a 20 hydro.........
92297[/snapback]

Yes Don this is very doable with my setup . The block I start with is 3/4" tall if this helps you to see if they will fit . Scott

ScottVanSlooten said:
Don Ferrette said:
For some reason the drawing I tried to attach to last post didn't work. Keep in mind this is a rather rough & quick sketch but here's what I had in mind. This will even fit under the cowl of a 20 hydro.........
92297[/snapback]

Yes Don this is very doable with my setup . The block I start with is 3/4" tall if this helps you to see if they will fit . Scott

92582[/snapback]

Scott I tried to reply to your e-mail & it bounced back. I just resent it with smaller attachment............

View attachment 4086Don: I'm running exactly what you're looking for in my .20 hydro. I'll post a pic tonight. I mount mine through the side of the hull with plastic screws and put a tiny bit of sho goo on the base to seal off the screw holes. It mounts right beside the collet and less than 2" from the carb nipple. I had inconsistant fuel flow until I tried this set-up. I was using the russian fine needle mounted to the rear boom. I found the distance was too long going to the nova rossi carb. Solved all my problems and is tucked up under the cowl real nice. I believe Scott VanSlooten may have made this one as well. It incorporates the OS in-flight needle just like your drawing.

Ron

Joe_Knesek said:
carlnoki said:
92466[/snapback]

92467[/snapback]

I don't know the difference but I saw a boat go from 75 to 60 real quick. A RR is one of the widest boats.

Back