low profile 3rd channel needle bases

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
Ok I can't be the only one who hates the remote needles with the inlet on the side & outlet on the bottom. This sucks for placement in the typical rigger & generally results in an unwanted extra hole in the cowl. A while back someone sent me a pic (I can't remember who, I think it was Russell, & can't find the pic) of a 3rd channel needle with inlet & outlet on the side so you sink it nice & low in the tub. I've been experimenting with making a low profile set up but before I go to the next level I'd like to see what else is out there so post pics if ya got 'em. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Don

Brad Chirsty makes a nice Three channel needle housing assy and Brad can make it to your spec. Give him a call at 1-937-859-0858.

dave roach said:
DonBrad Chirsty makes a nice Three channel needle housing assy and Brad can make it to your spec. Give him a call at 1-937-859-0858.

92136[/snapback]

Thanks Dave, you don't have any pics of one do you?? Is it based on the OS in flight needle?

Don

The mount is for the os inflite needle assy and it mounts on the boom tube and sit down low ,it a nice unit I don;t have any photos

Don i think the one you are looking for is a spinnoff of the Tidewater Fuel doctor made by the guys at Stoner Racing Products (srp). their website was down i think J Stoner is on this site.

Don, The valve I have is from Ernie LaFleur. It looks like the Fuel Doctor and works great. Here's some pics............

Thanks for getting it right Russell, i knew it was a texas guy but i thought it was the Stoner racing crew that made them. The fuel doctor is ok for larger engines but for .67's on down its too touchy to use.

Ernie is a member here but I have found it diffucult to get in touch with him.

He makes some really nice looking harware and other accessories including an adapter to fit a CMB 45 EVO motor to a K&B lower unit.

The Fuel Doctors have the best design, but I gave up on them. The other negative is the setting, you can't tell when it's full open or closed on the fuel doctors unless you remove the nipples and mark the outside. Now if there was a way to limit the arm on the FD remote (other than on your radio) so it wouldn't push pass open/closed that would be one improvement. The last one I had the inside started breaking down and was clogging a lot.

Don, I've attached a couple shots of Brad's CMD needle mount . He also makes one that uses the OS needle.

Joe & others-

I decided to start this post to be sure someone hasn't already done this before I go to the next level. I spoke at length with Brad on the phone last night. I also gave Preston a rough mock up of my idea last weekend. What I'm trying to create is a needle arrangement that goes on the side of the tub or other tight spaces with inlet & outlet on the same side. I have come up with a big bore low profile design that will work with the OS in flight 3rd channel needle or the stock needle that comes on OS carbs/motors for remote mounted non 3rd channel applications (now everyone knows why I was looking for "donor" OS needles a while back). The big factor is that what is currently out there for OS bases will not flow enough volume for the big MAC & CMB motors. I am just not in a position to mass produce these but with talented people like Preston or Brad who have this ability I'm hoping to make this design available to all. I would really like to get a few made to test before Atlanta. Yeah I know I'm trying to pull a big rabbit out of a little hat............ B)

In the past we made some valves like the F.D's and the Champion valves but have since stoped using them. Even went to the next level with them and made one for the old twin that was one piece with two independent "flow barrels" and threaded for some old Pico needles for fine tuning. I need to find it and post a photo of it. The main reasons I stopped using them is that over time the "flow barrels" would lose their fit inside the housing and leak. Also didn't like that the control arm wasn't indexed to the barrel and would find that it would move and completely changing the flow.

With some more R&D already done at the pond and on the bench I'm sure some extrmely good valve could be made but I'm busy with other projects and with a little imagination the CMDi and Violet valves can be shoehorned into any boat.

-BUCK-

"and with a little imagination the CMDi and Violet valves can be shoehorned into any boat."

You're missing the whole point of this thread stated in the opening post. I don't like the current design of CMD or Violet needles. I currently use the CMD needles & while they are quite good I'm not interested in "using a little imagination" to make something work that I don't like in the first place. There also are others who feel the same way as I do & would like other options. So, now that everyone knows where you can buy those pushrod ends & that we're not interested in what's already out there let's get this topic back on track. :p

Don Ferrette said:
"and with a little imagination the CMDi and Violet valves can be shoehorned into any boat."
You're missing the whole point of this thread clearly stated in the opening post. I don't like the current design of CMD or Violet needles. I currently use the CMD needles & while they are quite good I'm not interested in "using a little imagination" to make something work that I don't like in the first place. There also are others who feel the same way as I do & would like other options. So, now that everyone knows where you can buy those pushrod ends & that we're not interested in what's already out there let's get this topic back on track.  <_<

92290[/snapback]

Damm Man Someone's in a bad mood. Forget about the post Mr. Ferrette. I didn't mean to inject some incite from past projects we've done to possibly help.

-BUCK-

Sorry about hijacking your thread Don and the others. I've got the CMD/K remote needle in my boat that I'm still working on and it got me wondering also about the vertical mount that I've got it on, an Aeromarine piece, their antenna mount. I'm worried about the bottom line pinching although I do have it mounted as high as I can. Maybe I ought to rethink this and see if I can mount it elsewhere horizontally.

I'll see if Sullivan has them in Toledo otherwise I'll have a LHS order them for me. I'm more worried about the steering than the carb or remote needle but I'll grab a bunch of both sizes.

BUCKSHOT said:
Damm Man Someone's in a bad mood. Forget about the post Mr. Ferrette. I didn't mean to inject some incite from past projects we've done to possibly help.
-BUCK-

92292[/snapback]

I'm not in a bad mood Buck, just puttin' the train back on the track. The thought here is for something neat & very compact, that gives you the ability to easily index the remote needle arm since the OS needle arm is adjustable & won't require re-engineering the whole boat to fit a needle under the cowling............ :p

For some reason the drawing I tried to attach to last post didn't work. Keep in mind this is a rather rough & quick sketch but here's what I had in mind. This will even fit under the cowl of a 20 hydro.........

Back