Low motivation,.. how do you get yourself back in boat mode?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love to build boats,as I am a woodworker and have all ways wanted to combine hobby and work together... by the end of this icy cold crappy (I work at ski resort in winter to fill in..lol..)winter I will have 11 hulls built for people and myself,and just love it!! just wish I could get rid of the other work...lol.. but I love to go skiing too... and to work there is the only way to afford skiing as i would rather spend money(the little i have left after uncle sam and bill collectors..lol) on my hobbies.. I too love the smell of the churned up water and 2 stroke mix and nitro and can not wait to fly and go boating again.. :p Keeps me busy year round!!!

To me its important to have more than one hobby, that way when your gettin burned out,

Just switch gears and refocus on something else for a while.

Gene

Last edited by a moderator:
To me its important to have more than one hobby, that way when your gettin burned out,

Just switch gears and refocus on something else for a while.

Gene
I think Gene is correct, MORE THAN ONE HOBBY. I was looking at no practice pond and the closest race 80 miles away.And only one class to run (classic thunderboat). I'll send a P.M. Gene

That has helped me a bunch-Multiple hobbys- I fished like a fool before I started racing rc boats - And with some help from a few friends , I'm now enjoying model rocketing thoroughly, I'm not done boating,and if I get the taste for fresh fish, I go fishing, but its nice to have something else to do too.........

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
That has helped me a bunch-Multiple hobbys- I fished like a fool before I started racing rc boats - And with some help from a few friends , I'm now enjoying model rocketing thoroughly, I'm not done boating,and if I get the taste for fresh fish, I go fishing, but its nice to have something else to do too.........

Andy
LOL.. one time on my birthday as a kid, my dad, a friend and I went out to run the boats and I had the old dumas Pay N Pak out and it started pulling like crazy to the right... brought it in and had a small fish stuck between turn fin and back of sponson...lol.. best of both worlds!!!

When you get to the Level that Chris Woods and Steve are at it a passion of speed.These guys are at the top of there field.They do so much in house its a second full tme job.I was lucky enough to do some testing with these guys learning so much.You have good days and bad but at there level its hard to have a great day few and far inbetween.When Chris says 3 hours thats one way by the time you setup clean up pack up can be 8 hours with out running a boat.Thats commitment!!!Then a full time job family then the hobby when you selling boats dont know how they do it.Im on my last two builds one scratch one Lauterbach then im done building fo along time.Im going to move on to another hobby that keeps me home on the weekends.Going testing took a whole day out of the weekend and usually on sunday.One thing i have seen lately is nitro boats dont seem to hold there value like they use too.For me im getting out of nitro got one last boat left when it sells im out.Might keep one gas hull just to play with pull the rope and run.Im not burnt out just going to use my time to work on my old truck my first hobby.

I can say that feeling the sun on the 70deg day the other day and snow the next day put me back in the shop preparing for the weather thats coming!!!

How do you motivate yourself. I have all the time and projects, and I can't get myself going. Even joined Namba this year. Been thirty plus yrs since I was a member. Now maybe join a club.
Hi Ken, I know what you feel. Myself,after many years I went to the lake and saw some friends of long ago and a few ghosts. The friendships were from many years ago and were still standing. Felt good. I saw the new gas boats...thought about my nitro boats...got enthused and went home to buy new equipment.
Seems many of us have similar history...we get married-remarried, new kids, no boats. Kids grow up, we need more to do and our "old" hobby looks good,
I had first child at age 53! So I'm restarting at a grey age. (with X hydro-nitro) Gotta show the gas boats. I am now on a mission!
Enjoy your new hobby and old friends. But do go to your lake even without boat in hand.
Don

I noticed date of post after I posted. But...I imagine it applies to many of us on occasion
Thanx Sam.

Don -
Still does for me to this day - I have several boats that have not been wet in going on 8 years + ,
Its not for lack of wanting to go run - I let myself get too involved in caring about situations I should have / in hindsight- just walked away from and kept racing. Along the way with that , I pissed off some people in the clubs- and here , and made my favorite hobby - one I hated.

Sad really, but I made my bed as a few here will gladly agree with - and thats fine, I have moved on. I enjoy rocketry with the same passion I did for RC Boats, but I learned a lesson . Now I practice my hobby with a different attitude that works for me and the ones I choose to surround myself with while doing it, and so far, that seems to be a good fit for me nearly 10 years later.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from becoming active in their club , taking a leadership role and helping keep this silly little nitch we call RC Boating alive. With that , I will also say its a fine line between being active and helpful in your club and diving in with too much heart that it takes the fun out of what you started doing it for in the first place. If you ever question the fun in racing and running rc boats, its time to step back and ask yourself why.

Sorry for the novel, just my worthless .02

When im not building/ running r/c boats im racing r/c cars. launching rockets, flying r/c planes n helis, or kayaking/fishing, and most importantly I spend time with my family, or nothing else I do matters! You gotta have other things to do.......I burned out of the hobby for 5 years........now im back with a vengeance building boats and waiting for this stinking covid 19 CRAP TO END so we can get back to some RACING:)👍!

Last edited:
no races here.. unfortunately.. no one runs boats around here. I have only found 2 guys locally over the last 2 years.. Know anyone in Charlotte that runs boats.. get me their contact info..
Anthony
There is or was a club in Charlotte called Carolinas Elite RC Boat Modelers. It was run by a guy named Mitch Stinson # 704-713-3191 or [email protected]
Bill Hoch

. he re-surfaced and last I saw was building a gas boat.. (just a few months ago)

Grim

Back