Low motivation,.. how do you get yourself back in boat mode?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SMACK TALK! :eek: Then you have to get off your butt to back it up! ;)
Yes. That's exactly right. Just sign up for the same race as Joe Warren and Julian Conde. Their smack talk alone will have you so fired up you will be building boats not only for yourself, but for half your buddies as well, just to make sure SOMEBODY kicks their AZZ!!!!....... :D
you have a hard on for Joe W and I but i will tell you this.. WE wil back up all our smack talk.. and you know you wont be dishing out ass kicking anywhere and anyone LOL :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

no races here.. unfortunately.. no one runs boats around here. I have only found 2 guys locally over the last 2 years.. Know anyone in Charlotte that runs boats.. get me their contact info..
Not having others of similar interest around does kind of de- motivate but with forums like this you are in touch all the time . If there is any way possible set your sights on the Fall Nationals in Charelston in October for your first race . You will have a blast and walk away with much motivation that lasts months . I hardly ever test my boats but go into long range planning for the race which turns into a full thrash about 3 weeks away from race day . When you go away to a race for a couple of days you really get in the zone and into the event . Always plenty of people to help out and hang with . I'm 8 hours away from Charleston but I have found that this a great meeting place for many friends I have met . Nothing builds motivation like racing .

In 1982 when I first started boating my friend Larry Szybkowski told me to go to a race in Maryland , I said I didn't want to race but just run . He said that would change and it has . Over the years i have dropped in and out of the game due to motorcycles , full size boat racing , boating and business but now I appear to be back in for racing . Do it , commit to the race and head toward that end !

Yes. That's exactly right. Just sign up for the same race as Joe Warren and Julian Conde. Their smack talk alone will have you so fired up you will be building boats not only for yourself, but for half your buddies as well, just to make sure SOMEBODY kicks their AZZ!!!!....... :D
you have a hard on for Joe W and I but i will tell you this.. WE wil back up all our smack talk.. and you know you wont be dishing out ass kicking anywhere and anyone LOL :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
Go read all of your and Joe's posts Julian. Joe can take two way smack, obviously you can't. Just remember the old saying, "If you can't take it coming back, then don't dish it out" ...... :)

You know me by now so expect it to be returned, on a silver platter!!!!..... ;)

Smile Julian...... :D

Go read all of your and Joe's posts Julian. Joe can take two way smack, obviously you can't. Just remember the old saying, "If you can't take it coming back, then don't dish it out" ...... :)

You know me by now so expect it to be returned, on a silver platter!!!!..... ;)

Smile Julian...... :D
hey i can take it and dish it LOL. this is why i like RC boat racing and thats my motivation. i always have a smile on my face Joe and I will keep you on your toes my friend.. Anthony stay motivated remember why we do this. we race, have fun, smack talk but at the end of the day we all a family..

Julian

Well,.. I found a bit of motivation,.. Making some progress on 45 riggers.. gorrilla glue on the sponson inserts..

Be careful with gorilla glue, it will expand up to 24 hours after applying, so check your stuff frequently.
From my experience, if you wet it as directed, its usually fully hard in 2 hours and I usually glue my next piece from there. Ive never had issues (yet) with removing the tape and moving forward when it is hard when trying to push my finger nail into it.

Anthony is it Charlotte NC you're in? I cant remember if I've talked with you before but I am about 30-45 miles southeast of Charlotte. I run gas but would welcome anyone to come run where I do because you're right rc boating is non existent here and it would be nice to have someone to go to the pond with.. If you would like I can PM you my number or vice versa.

Jeff Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
Its all about commitment and knowing when you are going to burn out.. After years of doing this I have gotten much better at not shutting down. Truth is I don’t remember the last "down time" I have had. I do remember back in the 90s taking a few weeks off..

It has been a greater challenge now however with my Epoxy allergy. I can no longer "just" glue that sheeting or whatever.

Inspiration to me comes from the Preusse’s. Gary and his family have been doing this for over 40 years NON STOP.. Dunny too!

Even though I have” to do this and its my living its still just as fun as ever!

Grim
You would never survive my job then Mike. We run 68" wide rolls of paper through 20 foot bath of epoxy modified phenolic resins. I'm swimming in resin/ethanol/acetone....

Jeff,. I would love to get together and run. I'm hoping within the next few weeks. The weather is turning better.. PM me your contact info and we'll get together..

All you have to do is get up start cutting wood.Need to stay away from the PC TV and then the wife thats the hard part once you get into the man cave you will wonder why i havent done this sooner.Make sure you take plenty of fluids.For me i had this flu bug twice just took everything from you after surviving work, working in the field,shop plus getting roped into driving semi fighting the weather didnt leave much for energy beer didnt even taste good that was some bad ******* glad its over now i got to get buzy scratch building a gas whiplash which is half built in a week and gas lauterbach that will show up this weekend.It feels good to build again!!!!!

Its all about commitment and knowing when you are going to burn out.. After years of doing this I have gotten much better at not shutting down. Truth is I don’t remember the last "down time" I have had. I do remember back in the 90s taking a few weeks off..

It has been a greater challenge now however with my Epoxy allergy. I can no longer "just" glue that sheeting or whatever.

Inspiration to me comes from the Preusse’s. Gary and his family have been doing this for over 40 years NON STOP.. Dunny too!

Even though I have” to do this and its my living its still just as fun as ever!

Grim
You would never survive my job then Mike. We run 68" wide rolls of paper through 20 foot bath of epoxy modified phenolic resins. I'm swimming in resin/ethanol/acetone....
Dude.. not good..lol

It's been slow around here this winter as I'm in a huge rut working mostly 7-day weeks. One kit that's been on the building board half built and no real motivation to get it done.

Swap meet and show season is coming up. Fort Wayne in a couple of weeks then Toledo in April to get me around other like-minded RC boat freaks should kick the urge back in gear.

The economy has been a motavion killer for me. Seems like many have to work longer and harder to have any money for hobbies and this is a hobby.

A little more then a year after moving into my house I'm finally getting my hobby space done!!!! This is now my motivation!!!!

I got some time in the garage last week. made some progress on the 2 40 riggers I'm building. These should be nice boats.. I still have the possible carb issue with mine, crashing with the boom tube,.. It's crazy,,, I have a new NR.21 that I have yet to put in the rigger,.. the other .21 to put in the SP21,.. an AA45 to put in one of these 40 boats, rigger or sport,, A few years ago,.. I would have the boat sitting and waiting for the motor,.. and have it installed the day it arrived.. Now I have motors and can't find the time to get them in the boats!!! Crazy how things change.. It's not that I have tons of money to buy them now,.. I just pick them up when I find a deal,.. COME ON WARM WEATHER!!!!

I'm in a bit of a slump on my boat building. I have plenty to do and build,.. one new motor and one "new to me" motor that I haven't even started yet..

What do you guys do to get back in the shop? I always get real motivated in the fall.. but now.. can't seem to make any progress..
I have the reverse problem I dont have enough time in a day to work on all of the boats. Sometimes a Twin goes across the ceiling about 3 a.m. and wakes me up?? Looking forward to the days I can boat full time....... and work part time........

Medical leave! I'm off work the rest of the month so I started to go a little stir crazy. After working a ton of 6 and 7-day weeks then going into this mode I finally have some time to get a lot of things done in the shop. Now I have to find where I put everything at after emptying the trailer and just putting everything everywhere. I've just found it relaxing to just get away to my shop, crank up the stereo and mess around. The first thing it seems is just to do it then it comes back to you why you got into this in the first place.

Back