Low motivation,.. how do you get yourself back in boat mode?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started losing the urge toward the end of last year. Decided to put the boats on the shelf and take 6-12 months out of the sport. It's working, I'm starting to work on boats again and getting the urge to run them as well. Will continue with the self imposed layoff until May by then I should be full of beans aready to go again.

Give yourself time out, go do something else.

I had a way dropped in my lap by winning the registrations for the 1973-5 Pay'N Pak and the 2009 Oberto. That means that I have to finish the rework on my Muck hull, now registered as the Cott's Beverage, finish repairs on the Elam while building the Pak, Oberto AND 1985 Executone. The faster I get them done, the less it's going to cost me. Next stop, the R/C Boat Co's website to order the cowl and tail feathers for the Oberto :ph34r:

I have been racing and running boats since 1978 and never had a done and out period of time. After the last race in the season which recently is Charleston I am ready for a break till about Thanksgiving and the desire to start building hits hard. New sport 40 about to debut. an F- boat and twin are coming out of the jigs in about 2 wks in Mark Bullard's shop and painting and assembly will be going non stop till Atlanta with testing in between. This is all between 12 hr work days. I think those folks who are hard core modelers don"t get "down". I guess we are always are wanting to try something new to go faster and or get better. Always chasing the RABBIT. I NEVER want to CATCH the RABBIT.
I agree Gary! Don't want to catch that rabbit. When a new boat doesn't do right I get excited about "what can I try next" how can I make it work! Keeps the mind working and the spirit up. Finish a race........lets get ready for the next one. What can we do better next time! Maybe try a new design or engine or prop? the possibilities in this hobby are endless. Switch to a new boat type or class, talk up your ideas with friends and get pumped! Then go out and do it!!!!!!

i will make this comment and only this just to try and help

I got burnt 2yrs ago.. most that know me know how competitive i am.. well most may think they know.. lol i take losing way way way to seriously. after my last race a couple yrs ago i had a HUGE HUGE blow up with my dad over this to the point of punching the wall of our trailer lol. My main issue has been over the last few yrs, boat building business has taken one the biggest toals out of me. So here is a lesson to ANYONE that thinks I LIKE BUILDING AND IF I CAN JUST MAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO HELP PAY FOR MY HOBBY I AM FINE. YOU NEED TO THINK TWICE ABOUT IT!!! when the hobby becomes your job, you know you are in trouble. and there is alot of things that get involved in that you wouldn't think about, there is a reason why so few build and sell boats.. stu may or may not build boats every yr, bob @ jaguar boats builds limited numbers,i have no idea what andy does anymore, not sure if jerry with seaducer is cranking them out as much as he used to.

my other thing was a testing lake.. driving almost 3hrs one way every weekend to test so i could make sure i was READY TO GO.. that burned me out as well.

I have kicked tires about firing back up. but right now it is hard. not that motivated to build. no test lake, and i know if i do, what it will be.. hrs and hrs and hrs and hrs and hrs of prop work, testing, ect.

not trying to dectract anyone from this by any means. just some food for though on the people that are burnt, and maybe try to keep them from getting to the point i did

chris

Last edited by a moderator:
3 hours to test,.. now that is just not worth the cost of having the boats.. It's kind of crazy,.. the older I get the easier it is to get the boat parts,.. but the less time i have to build or run them. I know of at least 10 things I really need to do to my house ..

There is a Fine line between Hobby & Mental illness........ Anyone can be beat on a given day... You Cannot Win Them All.... Make sure to keep it as a HOBBY!!!!!!! At todays level of racing at most races... The guy falling off the tailgate of his trk is not running up front... If you get beat the other guy was better prepared for that given day... if it is Not still a Hobby?? then it must be Work?? B) B)

Chris,

I understand the business of the hobby. You may need to move closer to some water.

Nothing better than propeller testing and getting to the lake with some boats. If you can

Test enough you don't have much to worry about when you go racing. If you do get beat

it should motivate you to get better. Time is my only problem when you are doing propellers

For around 500 people in this GREAT HOBBY. This hobby is all about the relationships and

Friendships that you make and continue to make in my opinion. So get closer to some water

and have some fun again, we will look forward to racing you in Hobart. Effort Equals Results!!!

That should give you enough time to get competitive again. Let me know if I can help you out

In any way. I hear you have a new 21 boat almost ready and a new twin ready to rock?

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Tim, aren't you busy anyway tending to Randy while Roxy is out of town? :D

Usually these forum sites at about this time of the year start having cabin fever symtoms as the boys need to get outside and play. So far this year everybody seems to be behaving themselves. Pretty soon the lakes and ponds will be thawing and some won't be ready, it's not that far off for us in the northern climes. The southerners have been teasing us already.

Tim, aren't you busy anyway tending to Randy while Roxy is out of town? :D

Usually these forum sites at about this time of the year start having cabin fever symtoms as the boys need to get outside and play. So far this year everybody seems to be behaving themselves. Pretty soon the lakes and ponds will be thawing and some won't be ready, it's not that far off for us in the northern climes. The southerners have been teasing us already.
Yes Ron I have to look after Randy , a good Pit Man is hard to find. :lol:

A long time ago i built a boat and took it to a hobby shop to sell...it sold that day. The hobby shop owner called me and said build more!! People want em! I never built another boat just to sell again....i realized that i wanted to keep it a hobby, and 30 +years later ive built a good number of boats...just for me. I think i made the right choice! :)

Not to mention pack mule! :D If he has back surgery this year it's going to be tough on him. I'll loan you my son and daughter-in-law as generally they're useless for about anything else at the races.

Not to mention pack mule! :D If he has back surgery this year it's going to be tough on him. I'll loan you my son and daughter-in-law as generally they're useless for about anything else at the races.
:lol: Thanks Ron.

Joe i understand but you obviously dont know me that well. You are the same way win or nothing.

Mark yes i have worked on something but i dont know if i want to mess with it and as for movin you know it aint that easy

in the north we have "build time" and "play time" in the summer... I built 6 hulls this winter started to get burnt out,just threw the foameys in the car and go break some planes at the local gym...lol... Plus I am actually working on a new JAE .21 for our son (10) to run this summer.. he is into the planes and boats!! had to get him into it before girls,cars and other teenage stuff took over. Our kids keep me motivated and also to be able to choose a hobby for the time, racing boats and flying airplanes and the peeps we hang out with that share our interests is great!!! I belong to a local flying club,my dad was huge into planes and boats before he passed..in fact his last word on earth was "son.go fly.." I have done as he asked,wife may tell you too much..lol..and in the 80s there were not many boat nitro adddicts around so I got bored with it and stuck to flying.. NOW with IW and RCUniverse, I am connected to awesome people all the time and ran into some speed freaks and now have both to do!! (the wife said,oh great,a boat club now too???lol.. she knows it keeps me out of the bars and happy so...... :rolleyes: )IS IT SPRING YET????

nothing like being out at the lake, immersed into the scenery, running boats. That's my motivation (or fantasy)..........

However, it's task's like sanding/prepping/finishing a new hull that can drag on you mentally (even though I love the creative art of all this)........

Back