Low motivation,.. how do you get yourself back in boat mode?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

I'm in a bit of a slump on my boat building. I have plenty to do and build,.. one new motor and one "new to me" motor that I haven't even started yet..

What do you guys do to get back in the shop? I always get real motivated in the fall.. but now.. can't seem to make any progress..

I hear ya Anthony , Got stuff sitting there that just needs finished or run and I dont feel like it. I have had a reworked motor in my X-Mono since Aug/Sept of last year thats yet to even be fired- :eek: The last thing I ran was my Vision ModVp a few weeks leading up to and during the Herbie race in late Oct....

Lately I have been having a great time building and flying model rockets and the boats can sit for now. We have a pretty big Dist race coming up at the Brandon club in March, hopefully that will get the funk off and maybe motivate me as I have seriously pondered selling some boat stuff as of late.............................

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear ya Anthony , Got stuff sitting there that just needs finished or run and I dont feel like it. I have had a reworked motor in my X-Mono since Aug/Sept of last year thats yet to even be fired- :eek: The last thing I ran was my Vision ModVp a few weeks leading up to and during the Herbie race in late Oct....

Lately I have been having a great time building and flying model rockets and the boats can sit for now. We have a pretty big Dist race coming up at the Brandon club in March, hopefully that will get the funk off .............................

Andy
Andy...when are you guys gonna start taking entries. We want to make it to this years race,missed last years...it looked like you guys had a nice turn out. See you soon...

I would think before long Stan, that race usually draws a very big crowd. We have a club meeting tomm night, will know more then.

Andy

I got a tv and good sound in my shop, I like to watch old movies and tv shows I've downloaded while thinking of Spring! :D

ps: someone should invent a nitro scented air freshener, that would help!

Every time I am in a funk I end up going to a race.

Then it all comes back to me why I spend all my free time messing with toy boats.

David

How do you motivate yourself. I have all the time and projects, and I can't get myself going. Even joined Namba this year. Been thirty plus yrs since I was a member. Now maybe join a club.

Thats a good question Anthony,

For me if a idea strikes I need to go hands on in 24 hours or it goes poof !

My LHS is quite a drive now so I try to stay stocked up and ready.

Sometimes just a pic gets me goin,

Gene

It is a long winter in Montana. To get myself in a boating frame of mind, I think about the friends Iwill see at the first race. That usually gets me going.

Its all about commitment and knowing when you are going to burn out.. After years of doing this I have gotten much better at not shutting down. Truth is I don’t remember the last "down time" I have had. I do remember back in the 90s taking a few weeks off..

It has been a greater challenge now however with my Epoxy allergy. I can no longer "just" glue that sheeting or whatever.

Inspiration to me comes from the Preusse’s. Gary and his family have been doing this for over 40 years NON STOP.. Dunny too!

Even though I have” to do this and its my living its still just as fun as ever!

Grim

For me boats are like instant gratification!!

I've spent 20+ years building giant RC warbirds from scratch and detailing them down to the cigar in the pilot's mouth with the correct length of ash! Spending 6 months to a year, 6 to 8 hours a day in the shop every day to make a certain contest deadline......................

then Grim drug me to Mendota one year and watched the scale boats run....................I had to have one of those!!!

Ive always reminded myself its just a hobby.....that if i feel i HAVE to work on boats then its more like a job..shouldnt be that way....if you dont feel like messin with boats, then do something else till the urge hits ya......i think there are people who take this stuff way too seriously.....most of us dont make a dime doing this...most of us spend way more money than we should! :rolleyes: But whether we spend 400 dollars or 4000 dollars they are still just toys!!! Take the time to remember why you build and run model boats, then have fun with it! :)

Making the hobby a job, That's one thing I've done. Before retiring I use to drean about all the time I could spending on the hobby when I retired. Turned into and everyday job and got bored. Even tried rc trucks, same thing got bored. Sometimes being retired isn't all it's made out to be. Got all the time in the world but no money, plus I don't have anyone around to motivate me. Wife passed away 4 yrs ago and no one to talk to. BooHoo. LOL

Its all about commitment and knowing when you are going to burn out.. After years of doing this I have gotten much better at not shutting down. Truth is I don’t remember the last "down time" I have had. I do remember back in the 90s taking a few weeks off..

It has been a greater challenge now however with my Epoxy allergy. I can no longer "just" glue that sheeting or whatever.

Inspiration to me comes from the Preusse’s. Gary and his family have been doing this for over 40 years NON STOP.. Dunny too!

Grim

I've spent 20+ years building giant RC warbirds from scratch and detailing them down to the cigar in the pilot's mouth with the correct length of ash! Spending 6 months to a year, 6 to 8 hours a day in the shop every day to make a certain contest deadline......................

then Grim drug me to Mendota one year and watched the scale boats run....................I had to have one of those!!!

You two take this hobby thing to a whole new level! Your both kinda sick in your own little way (I ment that as a compliment)! Ha Ha

Who thinks about the cigar and the length of the ash?... WOW! Mike, well, Mike knows how to "model" anything... His scale helicopters are real nice. Who figures a way to have a trooper scale out of his heli on a rope (string)? his boats run OK too. As do Greg's...

Later,

Ball

I'm with Ken I have all the time as I work seasonal but no money to fund it all... Little by little I keep nibbling away at it though... Atleast I get all the one on one time with the 2 year old and the other 2 when they get home from school!!!

Some times youtube works! Watch some boat vids and gets me going to go work!!! Then again youtube can be a trap also!!!

Grim

You two take this hobby thing to a whole new level! Your both kinda sick in your own little way (I ment that as a compliment)! Ha Ha

Who thinks about the cigar and the length of the ash?... WOW! Mike, well, Mike knows how to "model" anything... His scale helicopters are real nice. Who figures a way to have a trooper scale out of his heli on a rope (string)? his boats run OK too. As do Greg's...

Later,

Ball
My brother flies at Top Gun with Greg- but he flies Pro-Am not Pro. The amount of detail and time that goes into a scratch built 1/4 Scale Rc Warbird is UNREAL :eek: I'm humbled every time I leave my brothers house- I always say to Georganna when we leave- Our stuff is childs play in comparison -_-

Back