Kevlar and CF over foam Tunnel project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little gas to help release the plug :-[

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

Looks cool... I'm still waiting for my order from ACP-composites. Questions - What is the putty made from? Under the cowl plug, is that the breather sheet???

Can't wait to see the final product...

Mark..

OBnut, If I remember right from his Kevlar 12 rigger post, it is regular epoxy mixed with graphite. it give it a really hard tooling surface. there might be something else in it though. :-

The putty is epoxy, graphite powder, silica.

The sheet between the glass and the plug is a piece of mylar. The mylar makes it much eaiser to lift the mold off the glass, a project this big would be difficult to pull off the glass.

When I make the sheets on glass I can scrape up a corner with a razor and peel it off the glass. A rigid mold like this has no flex and want's to come off all at once.

I didn't use any breather cloth this time.

-MikeP

Rats, knew it would be something I don't have.. Well, guess I need to order more WS epoxy anyway, I'll just add some graphite powder in the order. I've got silica on it's way...

Found this comment in CST Sales site: " If the finished part will be a dark color and exposed to direct sun, consider stepping up to the Pro-Set or MGS Epoxies. " Since this is a comment about W.S. epoxy, any concerns here??

Mark...

Nice thing about buying graphite powder and silica is the smallest amount you can buy will be a lifetime supply.

I don't know about the dark color and UV thing. I know UV is bad and I keep mine out of the sun when not in use.

I polished the mold with 400 then 600, waxed it up with mold release. It's ready to use. I am going to try the first one with kevlar and no vacume bag. If it doesn't work out I will have to cut the back out of the mold and build a wood frame to support it.

-MikeP

??? what no vacume bag how will that ever work ???

Well swing and a miss :'( got a big mess.

Try again in the morning.

Ummm well did I mention the sponsons turned out ok? Lets go take some picture of those.

Ok, back to the cowl. I think this will work out.

;D ;D ;D I got my first CF part without a vacume bag.

CF cowl and sponsons with a Kevlar center section sounds KEWL ta me, Nice job ;)

I take it the kevlar cowl didnt work well without the bagging?

Gene ;D

Thanks Wade

I think the weight without bagging is about the same, maybe even a bit lighter I laid it up pretty dry. The bad thing is the inside of the cowl is rough. I like the finish of the peel ply and vacume bag much better but I saved time and money by not bagging. I also really wanted to learn how to lay up a mold with out the bag.

Thanks Gene

I didn't use kevlar because it's too hard to cut, I had trouble laying up the cowl with one piece. I ended up using 3 pieces for 1 layer. That would of been 6 total. The pieces needed to have perfect cuts so the edges wouldn't look bad in the finish. I can't cut kevlar with clean edges.

CF really cuts nice with a rotary cutter.

I need some stickers and a driver, ya a really good driver one that will fit in the canopy and can hug the bouys without hitting them.

-MikeP

I Think that Stewart Little is your man...... um mouse . :p

He should fit under the canopy, he has proven his ability to drive rc boats, & he can hug the buoys very well!!! ;D

LOL!!

I don't think bullet proof fits anymore has more CF than Kevlar.

Any new names come to mind?

Stewart Little? He seems to always be in trouble.

Drivers....

hmm stuart is a trouble maker but he always seems to save the day

what about his bud good old steamboat willy he could use the upgraded equipment ;) plus he kinda matches

Bart Simpson..... the yellow and black theme seems to be in with ricers around here and our non-member member Dale has got homer... that'd be a cool race to see.

GI JOE- GOOOOO JOE!!!!

I prolly got a few extra california raisins they would be fun.

could grab one of my bro's Pikachu's

sure i'll think of more for ya later

Names....

other good plane names - Auroa

Stealth

Black Diamond

Fabricated

Maurader / black maurader

The Phantom..... with ghost flames

or just

[SIZE=9pt]TOTALY WICKED![/SIZE] hehe my favorite

-=cy

oops almost forgot -MDT- (Million dollar tunnel)

-=dang that CF looks sharp!=-

I had Gumby on 1 of my boats once - he's a bad driver so now he lives in the workshop.

Maybe you need a mini Jerry Dunlap in there!

Back