Kevlar and CF over foam Tunnel project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,

Glad ya got it dialed in ;)

Im gettin started on its cousin in WOF, Thanks again for that great set of sponsons ;D

Gene,

Your welcome, I think you will like JD sponson design. I have only had to fetch mine when I ran it out of fuel.

I got 41.5 mph on a GPS. I don't think I can get much more than that. The local drag strip here says our air quality is poor. I am at 4000' but they state our air is equal to 7000'-11000'

It's been snowing here, there has been some nice days but I am done for the year.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Yeah our weather is shot here too, I might get a couple days mid 50's but the wind is pickin up too. All its gonna take is the jetstream drouping down outta Canada and we got snow.

Building season has arrived!!!! ;)

Gene ;D

well today the snow started to fall here, & it is sticking to the cars. :'( oh well i have a couple of projects lined up.

I would like to make some strakes on the inside of the sponsons, like the full scale tunnels have. They look like they are about 1/8" or 3/16" wide about 1/2" deep and run all the way down the sponson.

Any thoughts on these?

-MikeP

Sent ya a pic Email of the strakes I had on the V2 for lift, Transom forward bout 5 inches,

Gene

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike

Are you talking about the sprayrails that run inside the tunnel the whole length? If you are these have a similar design effect to the stumble blocks. I should say they do 2 things - they stop water from riding up the inside surface of the sponsons & they allow the sponsons to set in the water up to that depth for turning. They are usually set so that they are just slightly deeper that the change in surface from riding surface to non-trip area. Hope that makes sense. I can provide a really good shot of a below rear shot of a Champ boat that shows them pretty clearly.

GT ;)

Well I finally got around to trying something on the bottom. I built stumble blocks just the way Geraghty advised and they work really well.

I think I fixed the pictures in this thread too.

MikeP

Sweet work there Mike... Need to get off my butt and work some CF / Kevlar myself. Still haven't found / created sissors to cut the kevlar. Yea, did what you suggested, still didn't cut.

Mark..

Mark,

Send them to me I will fix them for ya. Or I will pick up some new ones and send them over. They will cut kevlar like paper.

I think I am done using Kevlar.

I broke a kev-cord and didn't like the process to fix it so I replaced the stuff with some small piano wire.... much better!

Then some fuel tubing hold it in the hole. This lets it pivot since I already have it set up to go through holes in the transom.

I was wondering what ever hapened to this project? :D

I would love to see pics, or vid of it running/

Back