Kevlar and CF over foam Tunnel project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Wade, I can't wait either. It will be good to have something besides a rigger to play with.

Gene the muffler is from Precision Boats.

-MikeP

Wow man mean looking boat.... that reflection of the blue foam on the carbon is a real neat effect.

Mike,

Are you planning on making any different types of cowls?

When is the big day for the test run?

Kris

Hi MikeP

Dumb question time - did you stick close to JD design specks but with a more exotic material or have you added a few twists of your own?

I will post a pic of the WOF I got from you with my own cowl on - it really changes the way it looks.

GT 8)

Kris, I don't have any plans for more cowls. I am ready to run, I will be at the pond this weekend.

GT, The only changes I made were the transom braces and the radio box.

My sponson strakes are made like the plans say but they seem bigger than the ones I see in the pictures of JD's ???

-MikeP

Kris

Boat construction form Mike - awesome (I wish I could build this well)

Hotshot Sprint 7.5 cowl, :p , Really not to my liking. I want it to look like a 'real' boat.

Will be repainting it this weekend along with it's new cowl.

GT

MikeP

Funny thing is I got 2 WOF 29s - same boat, same plan - different. : :)

I'm not sure of the exact differences in construction but yours is way lighter and will be getting my stock K&B for power.

Have an OS bolted on the Dulap 27 but haven't got to try it yet. :(

Soon

GT ;)

Mike,

Beautiful work!

I'm new to rc boating, and have enjoyed following this project.

Question: What is your technique for joining CF panel edges? The corners look quite clean.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Lile.

Thanks Lile, and welcome.

I use the CF sheets the same as most use plywood. The edges are not joined as in most fiberglass molding processes but just glued together on top of the foam. On the sponsons I block sand them flat and square with 180 grit then polish with fine grit and water. Rub in a little epoxy with a paper towel for high gloss finish.

GT, take good care of that Dunlap 27 that was my first boat.

-MikeP

Had a great day at the pond, the boat worked great. Tim's OS was sweet.

I need to work on getting it to turn better, it acts like a weak servo.

-MikeP

Mike,

Another question for the Cowl Mold process.. Did you vac bag it? Or just let it sit in the open air? ??? I'm so dang close to doing the Bored At Work cowl.. How close ya say? Once I see your response, I'm starting!!! ;)

Mark...

Cool ;D I used the vacume bag. Might want to do a test in the bag to see whats going to happen when the bag sucks down.

-MikeP

Knew you would say that.. The only glass I could find is too large for the bag. HHMMM, believe I recall some site stating that a putty can be used instead of a full bag.. This way, only half a bag is used at one time. Mike, do you use this method or the full bag?

Mark..

OB Nut Racing: Testing in Production ;D

I have only used the full bag. My glass was too big also and the bag didn't get into the corners at the bottom. It still worked out ok. Just keep that in mind when you lay it up.

-MikeP

If I did it again I woud cut some foam pieces to fill in the gap between the bag and the mold.

Hmmm... Are you saying that the glass wont go into the bag?

-MikeP

Back