JAP/JAE .12G construction

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will do Rod.

Where I work we've got what they call Papermaker's knives that I thought would be ideal rudder blades for boats that don't need a water pick-up built in. A riveted wood handle could be easily busted off with a hammer. A little big for using on a .12 rigger but has possibilities for a .21 or .45.

Can i get the dimensions on the boom tubes along with the length of the tube for the drive shaft?

Diameter,wall thickness, length.

This ones going to have a Supertiger .18 in it when completed.

regards

jack land

1/4" diameter solid rod 16" long.

Buy a 12" length of brass tubing then cut to length, diameter depending on what size of flex cable that you're going to use.

has anyone considserd a .1/4" hollow boom tube , perhaps carbon fiber that would break easily upon impact.Or perhaps a 5/16 hollow tube for the same reason above ?It could easily be done by upsizing all the .250 holes in the wood and using brass 5/16 ID aluminum tubes in the sponsons.

NOT trying to redisign the boat , just wondering if these tubes shear easily and I do realize where they are solid they are better for drilling..

just wondering if the tubes that come in the kit will SHEAR or cause damage to the tubs ???

Are you guys using 1/4" solid delron rod or is it solid carbon fiber?

thanks again for all the info.

regards

jack

Are you guys using 1/4" solid delron rod or is it solid carbon fiber?

thanks again for all the info.

regards

jack
What comes in the kit is solid black fiberglass. I have thought of using a carbon arrow shaft before. Been so long since I bought them I can't remember the ava. dia. but one would be long enough if you removed the fletchings.I'm sure walmarts have them right now 4-$9 ea no shipping :)

Last edited:
I´m using:

8mm carbon tube (1mm wall thickness) for the tubes and

K&S 11/32 sound brass stock no. 134 for support in sponsons and tub.

Managed to brake the tubes only once so far, collision to track marker at full speed.. Cut the left sponson right off.

Another collision was also full speed.. That time head on. Boat sank half way to the tank (maybe 17-18cm from nose of the tub) in the marker.

No damages that time, but boat was quite firmly attached to the marker. Had to use some force to pull it out.. :)

Does anyone use aluminum tubes anymore? If not, why?

Is it important for the tubes to flex a little, acting like an undamped suspension, or should they be very stiff?

Thanks.

There were actually 2 tub designs. The 12G(Geraghty) has a slightly taller tub in the fuel tank area to accommodate the SS4 plastic tank. The 12H(Hall) has a lower front profile. The performance difference between the two is imperceptable. Rod's goal of a simple, low cost scratch built hull was better realized with the plastic tank. Heck, one of Walt's tanks would cost about teh same as the entire kit!

There were actually 2 tub designs. The 12G(Geraghty) has a slightly taller tub in the fuel tank area to accommodate the SS4 plastic tank. The 12H(Hall) has a lower front profile. The performance difference between the two is imperceptable. Rod's goal of a simple, low cost scratch built hull was better realized with the plastic tank. Heck, one of Walt's tanks would cost about teh same as the entire kit!
The non slant tank will fit in both & the fuel line can be ran below the motor. I used the flex version tank slightly heated and pushed a vent bubble

at the top as the vent is on the side really like it, 3/8-1/2" on 3 sides maybe for more flotation or use foam to support cowl or the wood cutout.

I am skipping the tri stock at the top and am going to use 1/16X9/32" strips of plywood .The tristock will crowd my push rods & seals switch ect. Love it in the bottom. I built the mounts per plans holes were close to the edge as org. had 5/8" rails. If you are looking at the booklet to see motor placement, it looks like they shortened the mount 1/2" also as the 2" per direction tristock behind the mounts should be 2-1/2".

Last edited:
Another note if you mess up a piece of foam for the sponson like I did. " foam with a bit of on it epoxy doesn't sand down but the opposite side sure does" the Owens pink 1" foam is 1/32" thicker and will mess up your over hang. Brass or alum tubing sharpned drills the foam perfectly by hand.

Sanded all the little nibs off the parts and dry fit a lot of them together tonight just for fun...When i get the time this winter this rigger is going to be extremely easy to build.Great job everyone

I didn't see this question answered yet, are you guy's leaving an overhang on the bottom at the rear of the tub or are you sanding the bottom flush with the transom?

Sand it off.

Yes, I saw the answer somewhere as I was wondering the same thing. The reason why was because the ski does the job so it isn't needed.

Sand it off.

Yes, I saw the answer somewhere as I was wondering the same thing. The reason why was because the ski does the job so it isn't needed.
No, absolutely not! Leave the overhang off the transom, its there for a reason.

Larry Gempp Jr.

here is what I see, the tub does not need overhangs because it has the ski, my transom was sanded flush, I left overhang on sponson parts L4-L5-R4-R5, and on the ski naturally.
OK, it was Tommy that made the bottom flush with the transom.

[updated]

I went down to the basement after posting this and looked at my manual. On pages 25 & 26 it shows the bottom flush with the transon although I can't see why it can't extend beyond it a bit if you wish.

Last edited by a moderator:
here is what I see, the tub does not need overhangs because it has the ski, my transom was sanded flush, I left overhang on sponson parts L4-L5-R4-R5, and on the ski naturally.
OK, it was Tommy that made the bottom flush with the transom.

[updated]

I went down to the basement after posting this and looked at my manual. On pages 25 & 26 it shows the bottom flush with the transon although I can't see why it can't extend beyond it a bit if you wish.
Some of the pics look like there is no over hangs at all on the hull . I didn't leave any at the transom wish I did.I remembered that most hulls are supposed to be a sharp 90 so that's what I did. What about the ski does the edges have overhang ?

Thanks for the reply Ron, I was about to sand it off then Larry says no, what to do, Rod if you are reading this let all of us know what the real answer is. I will leave it over hang for now, hope we get a definitive answer soon. thanks guy's

Back