JAE gas rigger build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem. I know that the shots of those cowls aren't easy to find. Both are a little flexible towards the front so they've been reinforced since I took those shots.

Hi guys I'm also building a JAE gas and despite its great handling abilities I would like to know if some of you have tried an adjustable strut? Remember to have read in another post that 1,5 degree is just good for this boat.

Gill

http://www.grsboats.com.br

You can use one if thats all you have,no adjustment needed if setup per instructions

Can't you slot the coil enough to get the 8 degrees back?

I actually had to build a intermediate coil mount plate to move the coil far enough once.

How many Inches is the afterplane to the back of the tub? 28''/

Best of luck!

Jim... I have sent an email to Gizmo... I am hoping they will come good and replace this flywheel with one that is going to work. The engine has had a total of about 3 minutes running on it since brand new.

I honestly don't think I can slot the primary coil enough to get it back. But potentially I could make a new woodruff key that will provide the right timing (will have to open the keyway out on the flywheel), it would be like 1 1/2 thickness where it sits proud of the crankshaft.

Them Texans ,kicked our Yankee butt, high-ne wiper but good <br>oops that goes into the shout box <br>

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my motor back on Saturday,went to the lake today running several props the 28/18 seems the best. Got to sharpen my 30/18 and try it,boat handled real well and seemed to have good speed.We did not take a gps today and broke our radar gun....

Got my motor back on Saturday,went to the lake today running several props the 28/18 seems the best. Got to sharpen my 30/18 and try it,boat handled real well and seemed to have good speed.We did not take a gps today and broke our radar gun....
You should have some company next year, Mike. Dean just ordered a pre-built JAE Gas from Mike Walker, and mine is growing in the basement, as we speak. :)

- Steve Smith

Building a cowling for mine... balsa/ply & will glass/epoxy over.

Attachments

• DSCN0819.JPG
    DSCN0819.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0820.JPG
    DSCN0820.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0821.JPG
    DSCN0821.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 1
Id caution you to cover the entire carb even the sides. It wont take much water to kill this motor

noted, but I needed to knock something up quickly so I can do some testing tomorrow morning. Will race it too if all works out, hoping there is enough coverage of the carby. But if it doesn't work, I can always do up another :)

And if it does work, I can clean this one up and use it as a plug for a molded version.

Attachments

• DSCN0822.JPG
    DSCN0822.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0823.JPG
    DSCN0823.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0824.JPG
    DSCN0824.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 1
noted, but I needed to knock something up quickly so I can do some testing tomorrow morning. Will race it too if all works out, hoping there is enough coverage of the carby. But if it doesn't work, I can always do up another :)

And if it does work, I can clean this one up and use it as a plug for a molded version.
Here's a photo of my Gas JAE last Saturday. This was the third outing for the boat and the engine is starting to loosen up nicely. I also made up my own 'ply/balsa/thin FG cloth' cowl and it covers the entire carb.

I'm loving this boat !

Regards,

Attachments

• JAE-gas-rigger-01.jpg
    JAE-gas-rigger-01.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 0
Jim,

Testing was fair today. I finally got my RCMK motor sorted and got some great runs out of it. Using a 2716 prop (2818 was too big for it). Speed is good, but handling is still unpredictable. I shortened the turn fin as per recommendations... but it still seems to get 'locked' in on a turn. Also needs a tonne of left trim to run straight (looks like a crab running down the straights).

Going to try an make a new fin tonight and do away with the curve at the bottom, rather try the straight one with a single bend (same as some of the other guys are doing). But in reality if I can't get consistent handling tomorrow, I will be scratching it from this weekend's Hunter Valley Champs race meeting. Last things I want to do is destroy mine or someone elses boat due to poor handling.

Sponson tubes - 15.8mm (0.623")

cheers

Tony

CB... got your message. ta for the offer, but have a few options to try first.

thanks Jim...

Jim,

Testing was fair today. I finally got my RCMK motor sorted and got some great runs out of it. Using a 2716 prop (2818 was too big for it). Speed is good, but handling is still unpredictable. I shortened the turn fin as per recommendations... but it still seems to get 'locked' in on a turn. Also needs a tonne of left trim to run straight (looks like a crab running down the straights).

Going to try an make a new fin tonight and do away with the curve at the bottom, rather try the straight one with a single bend (same as some of the other guys are doing). But in reality if I can't get consistent handling tomorrow, I will be scratching it from this weekend's Hunter Valley Champs race meeting. Last things I want to do is destroy mine or someone elses boat due to poor handling.

Sponson tubes - 15.8mm (0.623")

cheers

Tony
I have a theory about why the jae's are so sensitive to turn inputs. I dont have a jae gas so I cant test it. I would try attaching a spar where you would normally bolt the fin, then attach the fin just behind the sponson. It should be easy to do and I bet that would help a lot.... let me know if you try it as I really want to know if it works! the reason being is if it does it will effect how I design my next boats...

thanks

tom

handling problem sorted! Took me about an hour this morning to make up a new turn fin... based on Peter's design (ta for the pics mate!).

Boat now is predictable and tracks nice and straight. Good turn of speed too (I think anyway). The proof of this will be in the racing this weekend, but I definitely feel more confident in it.

Attachments

• DSCN0825.JPG
    DSCN0825.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0826.JPG
    DSCN0826.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0827.JPG
    DSCN0827.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
Back