JAE gas rigger build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill,

You may want to try an ABC 2718/3 with a small T.E. V-cut.

I have more on order this week. The 3018 will affect the

handling. I have recently started to help a few boaters

with their Gas JAE's. Some of these gas motors will pull

5.63" of Center Blade Pitch, but RPM is still the limiter.

They like Pitch added, and the Cup doesn't really come into

play very much on some of these gas motors. It will depend

on what motor is in the boat, and we are still testing a lot

of different combinations.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,

You may want to try an ABC 2718/3 with a small T.E. V-cut.

I have more on order this week. The 3018 will affect the

handling. I have recently started to help a few boaters

with their Gas JAE's. Some of these gas motors will pull

5.63" of Center Blade Pitch, but RPM is still the limiter.

They like Pitch added, and the Cup doesn't really come into

play very much on some of these gas motors.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund
Mark,

I was actually thinking of the 27 (and possibly the 29) series props with mods and you are the first to suggest it. I would take one that you suggested. PM or email with the final price and I will get it to you.

What kind of handling problems did the 3018 create - pulling, walking?

Bill

Bill, I was doing the test fitting before drilling the holes and placed the ski in position, that's when I found out that the strut wouldn't go low enough so that's when I wondered if anyone else needed to notch the overhang.

I'm holding off on the turn fin right now and prop as the boat probably won't see water anyway until next spring. I'm just getting everything drilled and mounted then tearing it down before it heads back out for final paint.

I've got 2 cowls for it, one of Joe's and a Tsunami T-Rex.
Ron,

I had to notch the ski slightly to get it low/flush. Hindsight is everything, but the lower the strut sits, the more prop contact that is made. I also have both cowls and have Joe's painted. IMO, the T-Rex is a better looking cowl but I didn't paint it:angry: .Yep, it won't see water until spring.

Bill

Hello Ron,

As you can see from the photo below, I also had to cut a notch in the overhang for the correct placement of the strut. But I don't see this as a problem because the notch is directly above the ski. I've attached a few more photos showing some stuff on my big rigger. Hope your boat runs very well !

I'm also waiting for info from Joe Petro regarding modifications to the fin. I saw he said that he will be contacting everyone who purchased a gas rigger with this info soon. I should be ready to launch the big rigger in about two weeks time and I'm very excited as this will be the first gas rigger to run here! We are really enjoying our .21 JAE riggers and they are proving to be extremely fast.

Hi Mark,

Good to read that you are prepping props for the JAE rigger. Could I ask that you prepare one of the ABC 2718/3 props for me and for the record I will be running a stock standard RCMK RZ-254 with a Quichdraw hotpipe. I will settle with Paypal as soon as you let me know the amount incl the USPS priority shipping.

Talk to you later.

Regards,

Wennie.

Attachments

• IMG_2321.JPG
    IMG_2321.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2322.JPG
    IMG_2322.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2323.JPG
    IMG_2323.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2324.JPG
    IMG_2324.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 2
Joe Petro was telling me about trying the 3018 but sounded like it took a little time to get it up to speed. Last weekend Bill Zuber was running a tricked out 3-blade.

Last night I started notching out the overhang as according to the owners manual it was sticking out maybe 1/16" too much. The ski at the rear was glued up flush and not to a sharp angle so sanding that down might give me a little back.

Ron,

Who do you think did the tricked out three blade?

We have better options coming soon. Still testing.

Wennie,

I will not be doing a ton of gas boat propellers this year,

as I don't have a lot of free time as it is. I do aprox.

a 1000+ propellers a year and really don't want to do anymore

than that. I will do some of them to help others get their boats

running well, but I will only do so many of them.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Bill might have told me who tweaked it Mark, it was a long weekend and a lot to remember.

Ron,

Who do you think did the tricked out three blade?

We have better options coming soon. Still testing.

Wennie,

I will not be doing a ton of gas boat propellers this year,

as I don't have a lot of free time as it is. I do aprox.

a 1000+ propellers a year and really don't want to do anymore

than that.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure if you are saying you can do a gas rigger prop for me or not ! I'd be pretty sad if you're not able ! :(

Please confirm.

Cheers,

Wennie.

I'm getting close to launch day for my JAE gas rigger but am a little unsure of how suitable my steering servo is. I have a Hitec HS5645MG sevo which provides 168 oz (12.1 kg) of torque. Will this be OK to handle the rudder in heat racing conditions ? I'm hoping the answer will be 'yes' else I will need to spend a good few more $$$ for a stronger servo.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wennie.

Should work just fine,it dont take much to turn these boats. We use that 645 in 15 pound scale boats without issues

I use a 645mg in a 40 rigger...... sorry i didnt read back but figured your gonna use one on the rudder. now the issue you could deal with is the same I think I am going thru with my .12 . I use a 85mg in .12 and im not sure it can keep the boat true. I mean will the 645 be enough to keep the boat going straight, and will it be enough to come out of a turn?

hope im on the right subject, if not disregard ......lol

I agree with Mikey. I have not tested yet but will bet that no more than 20* of throw will be needed to turn this hull. I am starting with a 645 which is my primary servo for both nitro and gas riggers.

I use a 645mg in a 40 rigger...... sorry i didnt read back but figured your gonna use one on the rudder. now the issue you could deal with is the same I think I am going thru with my .12 . I use a 85mg in .12 and im not sure it can keep the boat true. I mean will the 645 be enough to keep the boat going straight, and will it be enough to come out of a turn?

hope im on the right subject, if not disregard ......lol

Thanks and you are on the right track, I am concerned about the ability of the servo to stay in the position that my transmitter tells it to be. By the way the 645 was a analog servo, Mine is a 5645 which is the digital version. Manu of our gas mono boaters here are using 12 kg (and less) servos on their rudders so I'm fairly sure the 5645 will work OK on my gas rigger.

Wennie.

I agree with Mikey. I have not tested yet but will bet that no more than 20* of throw will be needed to turn this hull. I am starting with a 645 which is my primary servo for both nitro and gas riggers.

Thanks topfuel666,

The latest version of the JAE gas rigger instructions state that you need no more than 10 degrees of turn on the rudder !

Cheers,

Wennie.

I have my JAE rigger done & in the testing phase over here in Australia. But having issues with my modded RCMK RZ254. Hard to start after I destroyed the original flywheel when the starter nut stripped out and shredded the starter assembly. Replacement parts fitted, but now it's a pain to start.

Also made the suggested mod to the turn fin (chop top inch off & sharpen) and it seems to have made a difference to the tracking so far.

But where are you guys getting your cowlings to suit these boats from?

Attachments

• DSCN0786.JPG
    DSCN0786.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0771.JPG
    DSCN0771.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 1
Ckeck the keyway and key with the new flywheel for timing, some time they are a little off, at least back in the day. LOL

I like Pic #2 best of course.

Joe Petro (Zippkits.com) is offering an ABS cowl suitable for the RZ style motors. Tsunami Racing (he is over at Jim's RC Boat Dock) also offers several cowls in glass for the 5" rigger tubs. Sorry I don't have his email address.

Jim,

Yep, I have done that and the keyway looks off to me (about 8 degrees). Definately would be firing earlier in the cycle than with the original flywheel. The worst part is that it's a brand new flywheel purchased from Gizmo in the US, so any fix is gunna cost me more $$ :(

Pic #2 was done as a stir to a few of the guys over here... funnily enough it didn't provoke any comment ... lol... maybe they know me too well.

Also, as there was steering servo talk before, I am using a Blue Bird MG 15kg digital servo from Hobby City (cost about $22 USD)... works great!

Zippkits don't show the cowls as being available on their site... is this a new thing? Any pics of the ZippKits version? ta for the info anyway Bill...

Joe is supposed to have them somewhere on his site but don't know where. They look like this. The other is Tsunami38's cowl. John is working on another one right now for the boat, I'm on the list for one of those but he hasn't released any shots yet.

DSCF2464.jpg

DSCF2465.jpg

John's e-mail address is [email protected] . I got mine from Jim Geiger as John was out of stock at the time.

Back