Is this still a mono?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John here is one for you from way back what about the ride pad on the old Youngblood Monos? Those were considered monos in IMPBA back a long while ago!

Funny in the real work the silverhook and outerlimits V Bottoms have steps I don't think the fountains Reggie build do. But there still considered V bottoms or mono hulls in the real word and not hydroplanes why is that different model boats ?? Does not make sense to me but it is what it is.

Julian

Last edited by a moderator:
In a model you have different situation than in real world, especially at SAWs.

Crazy Power to weight, crashing and damaging is no risk of life, also way more better regarding structure size vs. load (you can build extreme).

If you allow steps without a book full of limitations you will will simply build your boat with a high step forward the CG and try to settle it that it works like a rigger with only one point in front.

Especially the situation, that the CG of unstepped monos is in front of the water break is making these boats complicated.

Also real boats with steps are basically pressuring the back of the boat. Translated to a model with the power available steps are not really necessary. They make life way more easier only.

If you allow steps you need a a lot of rules, and the checklist gets long.

This does not mean myself is against steps, i only say they make the rules really complicated if the aim of the competition is a hull, which should work like the big ones.

Not the same boat this is the one that inspired me to ask the question.

My thinking is that the vents are "discontinuities in the wetted surface".

Whatcha guys think?

Steps or not.jpg

Those don't even look like steps. From that angle just look like venting from the side of the boat. You don't really see stepping on the riding area .

Guess it comes down to how you define "wetted surface". I don't think either book defines that.

To me it don't make sense the rules of steps on a mono. Technically in the real world it would still be considered a V bottom or Mono hull even if it has or does not have steps.

Example; the fountain race boats run by instigator and twisted metal are 40ft fountains build by Reggie Fountain that don't have steps. Now the outerlimits raced by Steve Curtis and Joe Sgro is a 40 Ft outerlimits V bottom with multiple steps and still run in the same class With the other 2 fountains without a issue of steps or not but they all use the same power Twin merc 750 spec engines as used on the superboats catamarans.

Why is it in model boating it's a issue. It's not a hydro according to real world racing currently but in model boating it's a hydro ???

Julian

Bill,

Flat pads are ok on the keel so long as they don't have steps. I have run a stepped bottom pad on my mono and run it in the hydro class. Got 7th place at the indy unlimited one year against over 100 boats in the one class. Also ran it at the winter nats in the hydro class and had Fred McBroom come up to my tent after a hydro heat and asked me why I ran a mono in the hydro class. I turned the boat upside down, he looked at it, shook his head and walked off. Legal hydro. I was making a point with that boat. Hydro racers don't want stepped mono hulls racing with them. Steps make a mono a hydro by IMPBA definition. But as someone said. with the power to weight ratio on a model boat if you run a mono correctly it is just as fast as a stepped mono hull.

Hi,

is it allowed to cover the boat hull surface with an elastic skin like the ,Waboba ball ? This skin gets a impression where it hit the watersurface and forms a flat , with a very soft layer it forms a deeper imprsion that forms like a step . When out of water the hull has no step and is legal . Maybe it is better to cover only parts on th hull to get a better locatet effect

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waboba

https://splashlab.org

Happy Amps Christian

Christian,

Who even knew of such a thing. Interesting. Maybe we could bounce over the competition. LOL I know someone who coated their hydro with something similar. It did not help speed. He ended up sanding it all off. Sandpaper the hull bottom with 400 grit emery cloth for a microscopic water break and your boat will be as good as it gets. You probably already know that.

John

Hi John ,

this comes in my mind when i read about the skipping ball and how it does . Currently i have no time to spend for such wakadodle boat.

i build up a delta lifting body inspirated 75 degree sweep back angle with a triangle flat in th middle . Only a small version to look how and maybee a future bigger one to look for Ralfs record .Habe only the drawing as i am not at home but show the boat when home .

Happy Amps Christian

image.jpeg

Looks fun to play with. My biggest mistake when building a saw boat is length. They need to be long enough that the weight distribution is far enough forward of the transom that the boat won't do wheely stands when you pull the trigger.

I've wondered about this hull for years... Based on IMBPA or NAMBA rules.... is THIS one legal??? It's been raced for YEARS...

If it's legal... why??

aeromarine_titan_33_bottom.JPG

Darin,

The strakes are faired well. They don't look over sized. I can't see if they are flat when the boat is standing up though. I don't see any intent to make a tunnel. No red flags that I can see from this view.

Maybe you asked the wrong question Darin.

Just state the rule you think it doesn't adhere to. Cuz I'm not seeing what your gett'n at either.

Maybe you asked the wrong question Darin.

Just state the rule you think it doesn't adhere to. Cuz I'm not seeing what your gett'n at either.
The whole issue with the spray rails on that other boat are that they aren't continuous in the "wetted area". Well, either are these.

Further, there isn't anything in the NAMBA rules regarding how the strakes end, and I keep seeing that referenced. That may be an IMPBA only deal??

The Spray Rails on a boat are simply another strake that happens to be located WAY out on the outer side of the hull. When I install mine, they are made to fit the dimensional limits of a strake, as defined, very clearly, in the NAMBA rules:

5. Strakes - Regardless of the type or purpose, must conform to the following rules:

a. Strakes will be no more than 3/4" wide and 5/16" deep. For hulls over 46”

long and a beam width over 15”, strakes will be no more than 3/4” wide and

1/2” deep.

b. Strakes that extend into the area between the transom and the mid-point of the

hull length must be parallel with the keel.

And, I don't see anything in the NAMBA rules addressing how a strake "must" terminate. If a Strake is meeting #5.a and 5.b, then it's legal. I fail to see how #2 applies to strakes at all, so the "or steps in the wetted surface" part is talking about the hull, not the addition of strakes.

So, my contention is that the hull shown above, with spray rails/strakes at the furthest outside of the wetted area would seem to meet the NAMBA rules, since NAMBA doesn't 1) address "breaks" in the strakes", and 2) termination style of said strakes.

Or something like that.
default_wink.png

There is no break in that strake.. therefor it (the bottom) is continuous.

That's what it looks like to me.. IF.. they terminated at 90deg.. we would have broke the plane.

Grim

Back