Is this still a mono?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.S.Davis

http://www.tflhobby.com/

That's a Smashshark on their front page. Not the best boat they offer but I was curious if you guys think it wold still qualify as a mono. It looks like a stepped hull but those are just vents at the chine. They don't go down to the keel. It's not quite the ride surface either though.

Works for FE offshore but I was thinking not for mono.

Thoughts?

Sure look like steps, all the way to the keel. Look at the pics on the specifications page, they show it a little better in a side view.

OK...More the BS.... Give THE FACTS CORRECTLY.

It is NOT legally consider a mono for IMPBA class racing...EXCEPT in offshore.

Is IT a MONO...................YES!!!
default_dry.png

It has steps so it is not legal for IMPBA heat racing but it is ok for offshore. It does not matter where the steps are located on the bottom of the hull. If it has them it is not a legal heat racing boat.

John Finch

IMPBA Mono Director

It has steps so it is not legal for IMPBA heat racing but it is ok for offshore. It does not matter where the steps are located on the bottom of the hull. If it has them it is not a legal heat racing boat.

John Finch

IMPBA Mono Director
Pretty much solves that. How's that for facts??

looking at the photo of the bottom Post #5 the steps only go through the chine.They don't go down to the first strake. Don't know how this sits for IMPBA or NAMBA rules.

Phil Fowler

Go back and read #8 again. ANY steps on the bottom of the hull. Pretty clear in the IMPBA Rule Book, too. Easily found on the IMPBA website.

Dick Tyndall

Apples to Apples here....Gentleman.

In THIS VERY TINY racing Organization..............
default_dry.png

REAL WORLD.......
default_wub.png
default_biggrin.png
default_laugh.png

looking at the photo of the bottom Post #5 the steps only go through the chine.They don't go down to the first strake. Don't know how this sits for IMPBA or NAMBA rules.

Phil Fowler
This is exactly why I asked the question to begin with. I'm not suggesting this should be legal BTW. I don't think it is. Not for "mono". Legal mono for offshore for sure.

I thought the same thing that John said. Interruption in the planning surface and such. The only argument I could see is in debating the term "planing surface". I feel like in a straight line it would make no difference but once you turn the vents becomes part of the planing surface. Therefore not a legal mono.

This isn't the only boat TFL manufactures that looks like this. The new boat and it's distributor will likely want to argue the point. I was curious what some experts smarter than me thought.

Thanks guys. Most are on the same page.

Last edited by a moderator:
By no means stirring the pot here- just asking

1) because we have some very knowledgeable Mono Guys answering questions.

2) because I honestly wondered why , is it an advantage factor or ? .

Why are no Steps allowed in Mono Heat Racing ?

Andy

Andy,

Here is the deal..........A mono is defined as a hull that has one continuous wetted surface while under plane. (be it in the saw or in the turns). If we allow steps of any type on a mono it then becomes a hydro by definition. So, How then do you class a mono differently than a hydro? If you have a mono with steps it falls into the hydro class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back