IMPBA proposal

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRUCKPULL

Bill Z.

Is pushing a proposal on the FE guys

Here is what the FE guys want in return.

IMPBA - proposal for Gas and Nitro boats from a FE guy.

At an event two years ago I slipped and fell flat on my back on the wet ground

while carrying a nitro boat from the hot pits to the waters edge.

This happened twice on the same weekend.

1 - So I think that all boats should be started in the water the same as the tether boats do in Europe.

How many times have you seen a gas or nitro boat running wild.

2- All boats should have a 5lb.spring (a positive way of shutting off the throttle) in case of a servo failure.

Larry

FE- Racer

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
I would stop boating in the IMPBA if i had to get waders on and get in the water and hold somebodys boat, or launch a boat. That looks WAY more dangerous to me. I was at London and was the District director when a 15 pound scale boat that was milling went out of control and hit someone launching their boat in the water. The boats impact broke that persons leg and sounded awful. IMPBA has genuinely focused on safety in the last few years and this would be a step backwards in my opinion, I would never do this, just imagine a 6 or 7 boat heat ,14 men in waders trying to rush to get started before the 30 second clock, then getting out of the water , getting to the drivers stand etc. No way for me, I would stop racing first.. Tony J

I'm with Tony on this one. I remember seeing a video from a club on the west coast that had their pit tables set up in the water. Imagine how dangerous that would be. A dozen guys standing in the water starting boats, launching and milling at the same time. Wouldn't that be a pit boss nightmare. I believe the less time you spend in the water the better. I was at the same race Tony's referring to and have a whole new appreciation for the launch area after seeing that accident.

RJ

"Here is what the FE guys want in return." ?? :blink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not me.....

It's never going to happen!!

Way....... to dangerous.

When the tether guys start 6-7 boats at the same time, we'll think about it. :)

6-8 people (actually 12-16 with the pit man included) standing in the water starting their boats for a race?!?

Not going to happen.

Ever.

Period.

And care to share this proposal you refer to as I sure don't remember Mr. Zuber "pushing" any FE proposal at Tues. night's board meeting........ :blink:

Hi All,

This almost sounds to me where you had boaters walking into the water or you had rain? If there are many boaters taking a few steps into the water to assist in a launch (some shore lines are shallow and ya need to give the bigger boats a little deeper water launch) and the only path traveled away from the water is the same path as to the water things will get slick. You may want to consider please don't go in the water on launch or if you do go in water on launch exit this way to avoid making a slick path. This is just an idea, I don't think the starter boxes and two people in the water to start a boat will work. You would also need no safety netting in front of the pit area because all the boaters for the heat will be in the water and pit guys for the start of the clock 6-16 people for 3-8 boats. Its gonna be better to work out a procedure for the certain race you are falling at. I also know of 3 races I have been to that you cant get in the water like that, from the launch area if you step in the water it is 18" deep (which is a big step up and down).

Just My opinion,

Paul

I keep a pair of boots in the trailer with aggressive soles for just that reason.

Just something to think about. ;)

That makes a little more sense to me......

Bill Z.Is pushing a proposal on the FE guys

1 - So I think that all boats should be started in the water the same as the tether boats do in Europe.

If you fell twice you had better get some new shoes. I guess the FE proposal you talk about is the safety one involving battery disconnect?

Bill Z.Is pushing a proposal on the FE guys

Having run and retrieved F/E boats, the safety loop is needed for the F/E boats IMHO. Ever had a nitro or gas boat start running again after you pick it up after being dead ? I don't think so.

As far as return spring for lost radio on gas or nitro boats- 2 words- fail safe.

It sounds to me like Larry doesn't need to be launching boats anymore- :unsure:

that would be WAY safer than that proposal. ;)

Andy

Ok if you fell twice wouldn't it be worse with 10 - 12 guy's comming out of the water and soaking everything all the way to the driver stand , and what would happen if your starter slipped of the table and went into the water , may cause a mailfucntion for some F/E boats in the water :lol: :lol:

This is like say playing rusian rullet but instead of 1 bullet in the chamber 5 bullets , any of you F/E guy's want to play , i don't think so , and let me no how hard the ins. carrier laughs before they cancell the ins. for plain stupidity , come on guy's think about what your asking.

It took me 10 min. to come back to the pc because i was laughing so hard about this , i was also at that race when the scale broke that guy's leg and all i could imagine is all the wounded coming out of the water , i guess it's a good way to take out your compitition.

All i can say is go pick on someone else or buy better shoes . :angry:

Huh?

First, a 5# spring? It doesn't take that much to pull back a throttle on any boat we run, even then it ain't gonna do you a whole lot of good if you slip and fall at the launching area.

Larry, I don't know what race you were at but the only place that I've seen with a slippery launch area is Spenser Park in Rochester Hills and learned quickly to step carefully.

I was at London and was the District director when a 15 pound scale boat that was milling went out of control and hit someone launching their boat in the water. The boats impact broke that persons leg and sounded awful.
A 5lb. return spring would have prevented that.

Larry

I was at London and was the District director when a 15 pound scale boat that was milling went out of control and hit someone launching their boat in the water. The boats impact broke that persons leg and sounded awful.

Larry
Things happen when you stand in water. I know not all lake can have safe pit/launch areas but gees everyone needs to use there head. What if the servo seized? Ive seen lots of minis do just that no spring will help that.......... Lets get back to your fe issue

This is like say playing russian rullet but instead of 1 bullet in the chamber 5 bullets, any of you F/E guy's want to play, i don't think so , and let me no how hard the ins. carrier laughs before they cancel the ins. for plain stupidity , come on guy's think about what your asking.
Very well said.

Apply some care and common sense ........... and a good pair shoes.

Hey Larry:

I'm not sure of the details of the new FE proposal, or what is in contention.

I can say from first hand experience though, that if you follow the rules set forth in our Constitution any rule can be implimented or changed, our IMPBA is a very democratic organization.

Get involved! :)

Sounds like a great idea. YOU come to Charleston in May, and we will watch YOU do this as an experiment. Better yet, do it off the launch dock, then while your down there you can pick up lost parts.

P.S. Bring dive gear..................................... :ph34r:

Pit safety is an important issue. It varies with sites and their logistics. I have seen some pretty crowded hot pits with guys carrying running boats through narrow lanes of starting tables. Having 8 starting tables closest to the water would be ideal and something individual clubs need to address acording to their event size and needs. Large national events are usually well run but we always need to mitigate any possible hazards. Running heats quickly cannot outweigh safety. It is hard to legislate firm rules for all sites but common sense guidelines and practices should be in place. I know a little about what it costs to insure us all. Fences ,tables , docks and traffic paterns are much cheaper up front than injuries on the back side.

Mic

Larry

Can you say that for sure , if the servo has full battery power what is the spring going to do , the only time the spring will work is if there is no power to the servo if i am correct , so this spring feature already has flaws , and what do you guy's do for the fe boats when they go wild , i have seen a few of them go wild

And Andy has a good point have you ever seen a gas or nitro boat restart on it's own in the reteive boat , maybe you should be looking at these problems before someone get's hurt , a wild spinning prop can be pretty dangerous even more if it's near your leg or on it.

someting to think about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back