IMPBA Noise Safety Issue

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"the point is if you run under the 92db level you wont have this problem, and isnt that where we need to be. the only people that will have a problem will be the people that refuse to conform to that standard"

Exactly! You make it sound so simple!!! :blink:

Merlin, the problem is not just in the pits. I have been to plenty of races where people are standing behind or near the pits with their fingers in their ears. Where I work at, they let us take earplugs home for when we operate chain saws or other loud equipment. I carry a bunch of extras in an extra tool box. If anyone needs a pair and I'm there, just ask. If enough people are wearing them, maybe the Host club will get the hint!

Hi Guy's

I guess something that hasn't got mentioned here is vicarious liability - if someone suffers hearing loss and effects their ability to earn an income there is potetnila for legal action against any organisation not taking measures to reduce risk to it's members and specatators. It might never happen but think of the impact on the whole organisation should anyone pursue it. I guess the issue is if the majority, inlcuding the complainant are making the effort to minimise the impact of noise risk the individual who doesn't make any effort 'because they like the noise' places the whole organisation at risk.

Something to think about for all those non-muffled folk. Has public liability implication too but that is a side issue.

DA

thats a new way to think about it, i belive that its becoming obvious, if you want to run a loud boat buy you're self a lake in the middle of nowere, but the rest of us that like running boats in there real world will be conformine to the 92db level

I don't know what tha beef is about I put a muffled pipe on my 45 rigger two years ago and picked up mph with no other changes. And it runs below the 92 dbs

Scott

Kurt, you've already heard from me, in here and now over at Jim's RCBD. I live 50 miles South of you in Kalamazoo. Count me in for a Yes vote.

Have we met? Maybe that day at the pond near Scott's house?

Kurt,

I think not only a db limit, but 92 db's should be the one to have. I am certain

in the future we will be at 88 db's any way. 92 is a GREAT START though.

Thanks for addressing the safety issue Kurt,

Mark Sholund :)

Hi all i have been reading this thread with intrest so hear are my thoughts. this should not be a safety issue hear are the reasons.

this would have happened with or without quiet pipes just the hurry to get a boat started and in the water before running out of time the boats should not be started one behind the other! they should be started side by side. also if you go by osha the 92 db is not guiet enough. osha states 90db for 8 hours if you figure all the heats and boats being started on the tables you are over the limit. as for someone sueing the impba for hearing loss i am not sure about that i am not a lawyer but i think that it would be hard to prove that the boats caused the loss due to all the other noise that people are subject to in there daily lives. now if you want to talk safety how about this. I an sorry i stepped on your boat and crushed it but the boat 20 ft away blowed fuel in my eyes and i did not see it there! or i did not mean to drop the boat but i slipped in the launch area and lost my balance launch area verry slippery. so if it is going to be done right this is how it should be all boats pipes noise under 30 db every one at the lake must wear safety glasses all launch areas painted with non slip paint before all races every one at lake must wear approved non slip foot wear, no boats started except in the pits when it is your time to race how about safety guards around the props so that when they come off it will not go into the crowd, or straps around the engines so that loose glow plugs will not hit any body when they shoot out of the head. i could go on and on. we need to let the clubs decide weather or not to require a db limit. than put it on the race flyer and enforce the rule. for the record i run mufflers on my boats with no problems and will run them from now on but the impba needs to let the clubs handle this. before it is over the impba will be sending crews around to run the races sounds like nascar dosn't itoh yea when will the restrictor plates required because the boats are getting to fast!!!!!! just my thoughts i do not mean to grt any one mad thanks jimmy

Last edited by a moderator:
The reasoning behind making it a safety issue is because it can be pushed through the IMPBA much faster than going through other routes which can take up to 2 years.

Yes, there are other safety issues which should also be brought up, including those already on the books that are not enforced. Go to any race and if someone wants to get picky, they can find violations, either with the site or the boats.

Hi ron that is the reason that this should not be handled as a safety issue. the rule that we have now was pushed through we had a lot of holes in it and a rule that is not clear. this is what happens when something is pushed through in a hurry. i think that the impba should ask for one person from each district to get togather via email and phone and work out the detales and come up with a preposal for a rule to be put in place. also a time limit should be put on this so that it can get done and every one informed of the rule and give the clubs time to purchase a sound meter. just my thoughts jimmy

P.S. i do not have a problem with using quiet pipes one of my tunnels is so quiet that you can hear the carb sucking air when you nail the throttle and it still preforms with the rest.

jydracing said:
Hi all i have been reading this thread with intrest so hear are my thoughts. this should not be a safety issue hear are the reasons.
This is wrong. I wear ear plugs every day and I can tell you ear plugs actually make it easier to hear what it going on around you when there is a lot of noise, not less. that includes someone talking to you. after all the boats are in the water you might need to take them out as it is not as loud when they are all out on the water.....

try it out for yourself if you dont believe me..... you and a buddy start the lawn mower in the garage and talk to each other with and without ear plugs.....

Yeah, thats true but can vary with the type of device used, there are two types of outer and three types of in the ear, all with different levels of reduction in sound,

For more info do a google.com search under hearing protection, tons of info there,

Gene :D

One I checked was: http://www.howardleight.com

Guys I ran a DJ service for over 8 years and had to quit the job I loved because I was loosing my hearing from it! At the young age of 28 my hearing is like a 82 year old. My wife wants me to ge hearing aids, but I can't bear the thought on having them. :( Not to mention that the cost of them is out of this world! At night in bed all I hear is a constant ringing sound. Will RC boats cause this? Who knows, but why take the chance?

Trust me you look pretty stupid when all you say is," WHAT, CAN YOU SAY THAT AGAIN, PLEASE SPEAK UP," etc.

Just another thought, If all of us used mufflers it would force manufactures to make mostly quiet pipes. Your local hobby store would probably only cary quiet pipes because they are what we want. Now when that NON club member buys a boat and heads down to your clubs pond, what type of pipe do you think he will have on his boat? It could cut down on the chances of a non club member making too much noise and causing us to loose our pond. :)

rcboatlover said:
Guys I ran a DJ service for over 8 years and had to quit the job I loved because I was loosing my hearing from it! At the young age of 28 my hearing is like a 82 year old. My wife wants me to ge hearing aids, but I can't bear the thought on having them. :( Not to mention that the cost of them is out of this world! At night in bed all I hear is a constant ringing sound. Will RC boats cause this? Who knows, but why take the chance?
Trust me you look pretty stupid when all you say is," WHAT, CAN YOU SAY THAT AGAIN, PLEASE SPEAK UP," etc.

Just another thought, If all of us used mufflers it would force manufactures to make mostly quiet pipes. Your local hobby store would probably only cary quiet pipes because they are what we want. Now when that NON club member buys a boat and heads down to your clubs pond, what type of pipe do you think he will have on his boat? It could cut down on the chances of a non club member making too much noise and causing us to loose our pond. :)
rcboatlover

You do not need hearing aids you have titinitis.it can not be fixed listen to some easy listening music or run a 20 box fan on slow at nite. I am no audioaligist

BUT do not buy hearing aids as they will not help. :( :( :(

Bob Morton B) B)

"...you have titinitis"

Gee and I thought that was a constant craving for boobies! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Bob, you need to register, this place is much more fun to hang out on. At least these guys have a wonderful sense of humor......... :p

Don Ferrette said:
"...you have titinitis"
Gee and I thought that was a constant craving for boobies! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Bob, you need to register, this place is much more fun to hang out on. At least these guys have a wonderful sense of humor......... :p
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Your funny Don As I said I am not

Bob Hey by the way in at least leave my name

Latest posts

Back