IMPBA Noise Safety Issue

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zimmerman

You can modifie those old pipes with internal stingers that actually work

well in reducing the noise and brass tubing is only a couple of dollars.

Tim

I have also been informed the Steve Cooper, the maker of those very quiet Cooper pipes will sell just the quieting can you can weld on to existing open pipes that you already have. Now THAT will help save you some of those hard earned $$$$! B)

HI TIM!! Be watching your mailbox, I'm heading for the post office Monday. :blink:

Zimmerman,

Lenny Blake of Rumrunner Racing makes stingers (mufflers) for all size pipes, including gas, they can be opened up and repacked. Prather also makes some, they are a sealed unit.

In case you have a favorite pipe you'd like to save.

Bill

I've run Lenny's mufflers, they work real well. Mike Tyson (T-Mod Racing) also makes some very, very nice mufflers. Both of these are excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
dferrette said:
I have also been informed the Steve Cooper, the maker of those very quiet Cooper pipes will sell just the quieting can you can weld on to existing open pipes that you already have. Now THAT will help save you some of those hard earned $$$$! B)
HI TIM!! Be watching your mailbox, I'm heading for the post office Monday. :blink:
Don I have used coopers mufflers all last year i had him weld them onto the mac 45 nitro pipes i had been using , real quite and rpm is up there where it was. plus the pipe can be setup for water cooling the muffler, the info comes with the pipes. the 1345 is the number of the pipe i think, this is the mac brand not the andy brown pipe. PHIL

HI TIM!! Be watching your mailbox, I'm heading for the post office Monday.

Christmass is coming early to my house B)

I will be watching.

Tim

Hey! Thanks for all the aftermarket info, guys! ;) Some of it I'm already aware of. The rest will certainly help. Right now I am only running Picco 45's and Rossi 21's and have become pretty enamored with Andy's Parabolic pipes. :D

KURT .

I SEE YOU WANTED TO HEAR FROM ME ON THIS SUBJECT. WHY ? YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS . I HAVE MADE Q,S FOR 12 YRS NOW AND I HAVE PROVEN MY POINT , YOU CAN MAKE MAJOR HP WITH THE PROPER TUNED Q, PIPE , MARTY TOLD ME ONE TIME THAT HE WOULD QUIT BEFORE HE WOULD PUT ONE ON HIS BOAT . HE HE HE DID JUST THAT 2YRS AGO ,O WELL. IF YOU ALL FEEL THAT WAY . MOVE OVER AND LET THE REST OF US ADVANCE . ;) :D

Actually, I think Kurt is looking for some experienced support for noise control, knowing full well your feelings & contributions in quieting things down. Others here may not be as aware as some of us which might be where Kurt was going with it. :unsure:

Actually Jim, I am aware of your stance as well as your contribution to r/c boating in general. Also your advancement of quiet performance pipes. Your contributions to this sport do not go unnoticed in my book. I was just looking for some public feedback from some of the more senior people in our sport. That is senior in experience and knowledge not age. I also realize that this is not a new problem that hasn't been worked on before, however at this time, I have the time and the inclination to pursue this issue. If I dig up some old wounds or offend someone along the way, I apologize in advance. My only goal here is to advance a solution to the noise problem which I believe is a safety issue.

Kurt Tedford

there is a time to be loud and a time to be quiet. the lake i race at there is no one for two miles. which is why my boats are loud :D :D

Way to go District 1. They are going to propose a 95db rule for 2004 and look into and test for 92db rule for 2005. They accomplished this in one night on-line in their chat room. Now if we can get a few more districts to move in this direction, I would think IMPBA will follow.

Kurt Tedford

Kurt-

It's actually better than that. Based on Tim Kish's post on the r/c boat dock forum, District #1 is making it a district rule that for '04 the limit is 95dB with a target limit of 92dB in place for '05. My hat's off to all the guys in District #1 who, get this, achieved this in under one hour thru their on line chat room on the district #1 web page. So what was so hard about that? That's just it- nothing! It is beginning to look like the best way to get this going is another "grass roots" movement, just like the initial muffler rule. Our district (#12) as well as a few others put muffler requirements in place well before the board got their act together. Well, it looks like it's time to do it again. <_<

i dont understand what the big deal is? let the clubs decide what to allow at there races. if enough clubs want quite pipes then the people that dont want to run them all the time will have to have two for each boat or find there own sites to run there loud boats on.

merlin060 said:
i dont understand what the big deal is? let the clubs decide what to allow at there races. if enough clubs want quite pipes then the people that dont want to run them all the time will have to have two for each boat or find there own sites to run there loud boats on.
Well the overall idea is to get everyone on the same page. For the many of us that venture outside our distict to race having one location at say 95 dB and another at like 92dB would pose a bit of a problem for the guy who's been running under the 95 limit. My personal target limit for all my boats will be 90 dB so I won't have to worry, but you get the point right? :)

yes i get you're point, maybe i wasent cleer on mine however. i beleve that if one district does it(i belive that one has) that would make it easer for the next, however if you're in a district that refuses to act why take a chance of loosing you're site because of it. the point is if you run under the 92db level you wont have this problem, and isnt that where we need to be. the only people that will have a problem will be the people that refuse to conforme to that standard

A little FYI- this is the NATIONAL standard for noise set in place by OSHA

hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu...af.html#c5

OSHA Workplace Standards

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) established a national workplace standard for noise exposure called the OSHA Hearing Conservation Standard 29 CFR 1910.95. It limits the time-weighted-average noise exposure for unprotected workers according to the following table.

Permissible Noise Exposure

Duration per Day-- Sound Level

(hours)-- (dBA)

8 -- 90

4 -- 95

2 -- 100

1 -- 105

1/2 -- 110

1/4 or less -- 115

Maximum impact noise 140 dBA

I think this says it all. We subject ourselves to two or three full DAYS of this at races. GET A CLUE!!!! This is a SAFETY issue people, like myself & others have been saying all along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back