If you have to change your engine in your RTR

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was just asking.i didnt know.

that is what i thought about the wing wasnt sure.

i ask something i didnt understand and i get jumped on.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was just asking.i didnt know.that is what i thought about the wing wasnt sure.

I've got an OS .18CVRM AQU .18 and OS .15 CV-M the AQU .18 is just a bored out .15 design wise it seems. Matter of fact my AQU motor has a .15 CV crank and rod in it with the AQU .18 sleeve and piston. I had to machine the piston side of the .15CV rod to fit on the AQU wrist pin but it all went together fine and runs very good for over 3 gallons of 50% nitro.

i was just asking.i didnt know.that is what i thought about the wing wasnt sure.

William, here's what the RTR rules say for the stock division: "If the engine is replaced it must be of the same model as was included by the manufacturer..." This clearly shows that the CVR-M would not be legal in a Vegas for stock. The rules for Stock also say: "Rear wings, such as are included with scale appearing hydroplanes, must remain in place..." These two things are part of the reason I haven't entered my Vegas in RTR at any of the district races this year, the rules made it illegal for stock. I have entered it in B Hydro a couple times just to irritate a few people. :lol:

Sorry to say but the CVR-M Internals, Piston/Sleeve, crank, bearings, rod does not fit in an Aqub 18.

the bearings are bigger than the Aqub, the P/L on the Aqub is to big and does not fit in the CVR-M.

Dan

Sorry to say but the CVR-M Internals, Piston/Sleeve, crank, bearings, rod does not fit in an Aqub 18.
the bearings are bigger than the Aqub, the P/L on the Aqub is to big and does not fit in the CVR-M.

Dan
I just measured the bearings yea they are different front bearing is .0788 inch to small inside on aqu front side and rear bearing is .1576 inch to small outside. Anyways here is my OS 15cv with AQU .18 Sleeve, Piston, carb, head and Pullstart 15cv modified rod and .15 crank.

1518hybrid__Small_.jpg

v-spec,

sorry, I miss understood. I thought you were saying swapping parts between the Aqub 18 and the CVR-M 18.

My bad.

Dan.

i have the first miss vegas that had the motor that was from o.s. but with aquacraft name on it.can i use the o.s. motor in it then? i didnt know aquacraft went to a differnt manufacturer
If I buy a Miss Vargas clean it up, trash the wing, get the bottom right and dump a .21 MAC in it. can I run stock.. (just kiddidng)

Actually if is do all these things, do you think it would be competitive in Sport 20 class ?

I think it would be a kick to take a rtr hull like the miss vargas clean it up and beat the best sport .21 hulls out there.

Do you think the boat has the potential ? If not why ?

Richard in Denver.

i have the first miss vegas that had the motor that was from o.s. but with aquacraft name on it.can i use the o.s. motor in it then? i didnt know aquacraft went to a differnt manufacturer
If I buy a Miss Vargas clean it up, trash the wing, get the bottom right and dump a .21 MAC in it. can I run stock.. (just kiddidng)

Actually if is do all these things, do you think it would be competitive in Sport 20 class ?

I think it would be a kick to take a rtr hull like the miss vargas clean it up and beat the best sport .21 hulls out there.

Richard in Denver.
I've thought about doing the same thing. Will it be as good as a hull that was specifically designed for Sport 20? Probably not, but Jerry Dunlap did such a modification, I think with an OS engine, and I believe Russ Williamson races it. From the reports, it does pretty darned well.

Edit: note that in addition to changing the engine, you're going to need a new engine mount, fuel tank, stuffing box, thicker shaft, and a new strut. While you're at it, it would be worth building a new radio box and adding a 3rd channel needle. By the time all this has been done, one has to wonder if you might have been better off starting with a sport 20 hull...

Richard in Denver.
I've thought about doing the same thing. Will it be as good as a hull that was specifically designed for Sport 20? Probably not, but Jerry Dunlap did such a modification, I think with an OS engine, and I believe Russ Williamson races it. From the reports, it does pretty darned well.

Edit: note that in addition to changing the engine, you're going to need a new engine mount, fuel tank, stuffing box, thicker shaft, and a new strut. While you're at it, it would be worth building a new radio box and adding a 3rd channel needle. By the time all this has been done, one has to wonder if you might have been better off starting with a sport 20 hull...
Yes, but easier than building a wood hull from scratch. And would miss the point. Taking a so called toy boat and beating some of the best specifically designed race hulls for the class. would be a kick. doesn't surprise me Jerrry has already gone down this road. knowledge if fun and he has plenty of that.

Richard in Denver.

Yes, but easier than building a wood hull from scratch. And would miss the point. Taking a so called toy boat and beating some of the best specifically designed race hulls for the class. would be a kick. doesn't surprise me Jerrry has already gone down this road. knowledge if fun and he has plenty of that.
Yup, definitely easier than building a wood hull from scratch. For completeness, but not to argue, don't forget there are wood kits (for those who do like to build, and several people make fiberglass sport 20 hulls. And now along the lines of getting a kick out of running a "toy" boat against the big boys, I've won 20 hydro with my Vegas at one of our district races, two years in a row!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

and fun can be knowledge. question is, i have lots of fun, why aren't i smarter :p ????
Sung to the tune of "Where have all the flowers gone":

Where have all the brain cells gone?

Too many chemicals.

Long time ago

Killed them off one by one

Where did I put my stash?

and fun can be knowledge. question is, i have lots of fun, why aren't i smarter :p ????

Too many chemicals.

Long time ago

Chuck. that is a blast. hey could you put some pics on here of your boat. also take us thru some changes you made to the boat. share your knowledge.

thanks and congrats on your success with miss vargas.

Too many chemicals.

Long time ago

Chuck. that is a blast. hey could you put some pics on here of your boat. also take us thru some changes you made to the boat. share your knowledge.

thanks and congrats on your success with miss vargas.
Thanks. Pictures, step by step, hmmmm

My Vegas is a gen 1 and the changes are pretty basic, and unimpressive. To this point I have:

1. Removed the rear wing
  2. Sanded sponson bottoms and ends to sharpen edges
  3. Hollowed out end of turbine and inside foam to allow better air flow
  4. Installed Grim turn fin
  5. Switched to an Octura prop (can't remember the size right now)

At the start of this season I changed to a .18 CVR-M and MACs 2.5 cc pipe.

Also, don't misinterpret my post to mean that my Vegas is in anywhere near as fast as a properly running .21 rigger, cause it's not. It's often said that to finish first, one must first finish. It's remarkable how well one can do in the overall standings by just finishing all your heats. :D

Dear Dick in Denver, you're making me cringe!

It's VEGAS, like the city in Nevada, not Vargas like the dude who did the artwork for Playboy magazine! :D

Dear Dick in Denver, you're making me cringe!It's VEGAS, like the city in Nevada, not Vargas like the dude who did the artwork for Playboy magazine! :D
I was thinking of that, but decided to not go there.

C-AV_175.jpg

I'm using a MV for my sport 20 and she rips pretty good....gonna revamp her this winter and she is definately competitive with the others since I put some mods on it in my District. B) B) B) I will see what I can do to keep you guys informed on the progress....I have a video on YouTube if you want to check it out. JD was pretty impressed with the way it ran but I think I can a couple of MPH's more out of her.. :D :D :D

I'm using a MV for my sport 20 and she rips pretty good....gonna revamp her this winter and she is definately competitive with the others since I put some mods on it in my District. B) B) B) I will see what I can do to keep you guys informed on the progress....I have a video on YouTube if you want to check it out. JD was pretty impressed with the way it ran but I think I can a couple of MPH's more out of her.. :D :D :D

saw the vid. impressive. what engine, prop and pipe ?

Latest posts

Back