How do you form square end on cable?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Square drive setup in a 80 eagle with K90 made in Germany by me :) :

stevenrohr.jpg

Squaredrives always are running free and i don't have pressure on the frontbearing of the engine. I use peek washers between the strut and the drivedog.

Curt

Hey Guys,

Like the post said it is personal preference,I've went fast with both systems myself.

If you guys could be so kind to show us pictures of your set ups, maybe we could

decide which set up is good for us? I never stated that one system is faster than the

other,but I was glad I had some good response from some really fast boaters. My

intent was to see how many would reply, and now I would just like to see you guys share

your knowledge with us. FYI, My 21 S.A.W. boat hit aprox. 102 MPH yesterday and my

Stealth 21 Heat Race Boat can run 86 MPH in heat race trim. Collet drive on both boats. :D

Thanks For Sharing Fellas,

Mark Sholund
Nice Job Proding, and Back-Peddlin' Mark! Congrats on your improvement, (and quest to improve) your 3.5 boat!

Just think, you could pick up 10-20 mph just changin' from the Squeezer' to Square! Just pokin' fun, I'll need some 9.4# (Heavy Boat) .67 outrigger props that will go 90 mph+ soon. Start thinkin for me please.... 1667? or ??? My "exposed" email is [email protected]

Thanks Mark.... for all you do!

David Jensen

David & Others,

I was just seeing what everyone else runs. We are setting up a wire drive on the 21 S.A.W. boat,

and I was curious if anyone else was going in that direction. The square drive is a good set up,but

I think we are loosing power in our drivelines. It never hurts to check out different options,heck

you may even learn something new, right Charles? :D

Thanks For All The Input,It Is Much Appreciated,

Mark Sholund

Currious as to if anyone is or has run a wire drive with a square drive set-up. Past, present or anytime. Whether it was full floating, mechanically attached on one end, attached on both ends or whatever. If so could you give a few details, methods of attachment, diameter of the wire, size of the engine, successful or not so successful. Thinking about using it in my new 20 and 40 riggers. Thanks, Charles

Charles,

I am running a solid 3/16 shaft squared at the motor then adapted to 3/16 cable just before the strut.( to adjust both angle & depth )

This is in my 80 SAW boat that has run 119 mph, so far this system has worked very well.

Don :)

Don, thanks for the reply but I was looking for something a little slower.JUST KIDDING :D . Is there anyone else out there that has played with the wire system. Don't be bashful. I am working on several different designs and thought that some of the other boaters may have tried some of the different possibilities to reduce driveline friction. I have set up a mickey mouse system to measure the drag of our drive lines. So far I have found out that there is room for improvement in the way that we are doing the drive lines. The systems that we are currently using are not the best way. I would appreciate any and all feedback. :) :)

Charles,

I am running a solid 3/16 shaft squared at the motor then adapted to 3/16 cable just before the strut.( to adjust both angle & depth )

This is in my 80 SAW boat that has run 119 mph, so far this system has worked very well.

Wow! This is the reply I was looking for :eek: :D .... I went down to the L.A. SAW's just to get some info., and didn't get this (I guess it was lack of Nosiness).... Awesome! Running the minimum amount of flex to make the transition.... that makes sense!

Don, I was down there observing from Mon thru Fri AM, all of you inspired me. I am at heart a Scale guy, but want to push the enevelope in my arena like you are... I would love to talk to you more about the Gear Drive... I was thinking of that to assist with the driveline angle issue... But I like your flex connection suggestion better.

I talked with Joreg (Sp?) about the wire drive with a 1667 prop, and his comment was that the power band on Nitro motors was very different (read: not smooth) as with the electrics. Brian B also commented that the different poled motors were experiencing the same issues (Breakage). Wire with big props does not seem viable... that was one of my "quests for info." that was answered during my visit.

My "public" email is "[email protected]" Alll of you did an awesome job during the SAW's. Shoot me an email if you like.

Congrats on your strong runs... I'm cheering for you to reach 120!!,

David Jensen

R/C Unlimiteds

David,

Thanks for the support & cheering ;) I know that 120+ with a gear drive setup is very doable. I just had a bit of bad luck & hurt the motor early on, and did not realize it. :( David if you have any questions on this G/D setup please call 818) 363-9358

Charles,

I have spoke with severel people about wire drives in nitro applacations, most have had poor luck. :(

The Team Jag's guys told me a couple years back that they thought the "pulse from a nitro motor would load & unload, causing the wire to spiral & break. Makes sense to me :blink:

Good luck with the drive line testing & keep us posted on any results :D

Back