How do you form square end on cable?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

What kind of tool is needed to form square end? An inquiring mind wants to know....

kez

With mine i just used a grinding cut-off wheel ( it like a chop saw with a stone wheel instead of a blade) and then used a speed lathe and a file to round off the edges. I have been told that a dremel tool with the cut off wheel will work too.

With mine i just used a grinding cut-off wheel ( it like a chop saw with a stone wheel instead of a blade) and then used a speed lathe and a file to round off the edges. I have been told that a dremel tool with the cut off wheel will work too.
I meant to ask, how to make the end of a round cable square.

Kez,

Why would you want to run a square drive? I know this will stir the pot. But Really, Why?

It takes a press to square the end I believe. Everyone will have some good reasons for

this question,but it is still personal preference. I will ask the square drive guys, how many

of you run 80 MPH to 100 MPH with a square drive? :D WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU!!!

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Kez,

Why would you want to run a square drive? I know this will stir the pot. But Really, Why?

It takes a press to square the end I believe. Everyone will have some good reasons for

this question,but it is still personal preference. I will ask the square drive guys, how many

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund
I've done 93mph with a square drive. B)

Ian.

What kind of tool is needed to form square end? An inquiring mind wants to know....

kez
The most common way of squaring a cable end is with a set of squaring dies and a high pressure press.

Good speedometer shops have the ability to square cable ends.They will have have dies for different cable diameters.They will also have bulk rolls of flex cable with right and left lay windings.

I have a set of 3/16" squaring dies and can send you a photo if interested.The dies are precision ground out of good grade of tool steel and hardened by heat treating.We made these dies several years ago and they worked very well.

When squaring a cable end,a very high pressure lube like moly-disulfide is used in the die to stop destruction of the cable wires and the die surface while squaring a cable end.

I have also seen squaring dies that are used by hitting them with a hammer rather than in a press.You just keep rotating the cable 90 degrees in the die and continue whacking it with a hammer until the cable end is squared.I do know that Stewart-Warner used to sell them several years ago.You might do an Internet search for them.They might still be available.

Kez,

Good Luck 107mph 20 hydro w/ square drive J. ODonnell

Mark Sholund

Why would you want to run a square drive?
Mark, I happen to have a set of cable nut and strut ferrule and I want to see how square drive compares to collet. Other than not transferring prop thrust to the front engine bearing, I see an additional advantage of not losing the prop should the cable breaks.

The most common way of squaring a cable end is with a set of squaring dies and a high pressure press.Good speedometer shops have the ability to square cable ends.They will have have dies for different cable diameters.They will also have bulk rolls of flex cable with right and left lay windings.

I have a set of 3/16" squaring dies and can send you a photo if interested.The dies are precision ground out of good grade of tool steel and hardened by heat treating.We made these dies several years ago and they worked very well.

When squaring a cable end,a very high pressure lube like moly-disulfide is used in the die to stop destruction of the cable wires and the die surface while squaring a cable end.

I have also seen squaring dies that are used by hitting them with a hammer rather than in a press.You just keep rotating the cable 90 degrees in the die and continue whacking it with a hammer until the cable end is squared.I do know that Stewart-Warner used to sell them several years ago.You might do an Internet search for them.They might still be available
Rod,

Thanks for the info. I would like to see a picture of your die. The K&B OB cables that I bought all have some damage to the wire strand in the squared end. I had to wick some silver solder to have some useful life out of them. Maybe they did not use a good lubricant in the forming process?

I tried forming the square end by crimping it in a vise. It did not work at all. All I managed to do was to unwind the wires.

With the rates I was going through these OB cables, it might be worthwhile to buy a die and make my own.

Thanks,

Kez

I use a press on my dies. When I have seen a hammer used, the cables did not last long.

Sorry Mark only 84 with my square drive equiped Sport 40. Maybe if I change to a collet It would go faster.

Both systems work, both have advantages and dissadvantages. I have seen very fast boats with both systems.

Kez,

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund

Mark:

I do....

I would not run anything else on a 20 powered boat - it is an awesome setup.

Marty Davis

I use a press on my dies. When I have seen a hammer used, the cables did not last long.

Sorry Mark only 84 with my square drive equiped Sport 40. Maybe if I change to a collet It would go faster.

Both systems work, both have advantages and dissadvantages. I have seen very fast boats with both systems.
I like the pressed square also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always used collet drives on my gas SAW boats but just lately I have been marking the flywheel and cable with a sharpie and have noticed that the cable moves, I have no idea how much slippage I am getting but there is definately some movement going on so I think its going to be square drive from now on. Chris did you guys up the C/X hydro record?

Mike

Hey Guys,

Like the post said it is personal preference,I've went fast with both systems myself.

If you guys could be so kind to show us pictures of your set ups, maybe we could

decide which set up is good for us? I never stated that one system is faster than the

other,but I was glad I had some good response from some really fast boaters. My

intent was to see how many would reply, and now I would just like to see you guys share

your knowledge with us. FYI, My 21 S.A.W. boat hit aprox. 102 MPH yesterday and my

Stealth 21 Heat Race Boat can run 86 MPH in heat race trim. Collet drive on both boats. :D

Thanks For Sharing Fellas,

Mark Sholund

Mark, you sure are smooth. I saw how easily that you got that piece of information from the fastest boaters in the world. I'm going to have to watch you closer and see if I can learn some of these tricks. :D :D :D

Mark,

Of the four nitro boaters in the USA to run over 120 mph, three use square drive. ( Steve ODonnell, Mark & Chris Grim.) Andy Brown uses a collet drive.

Don :)

Hey Guys,

Like the post said it is personal preference,I've went fast with both systems myself.

If you guys could be so kind to show us pictures of your set ups, maybe we could

decide which set up is good for us? I never stated that one system is faster than the

other,but I was glad I had some good response from some really fast boaters. My

intent was to see how many would reply, and now I would just like to see you guys share

your knowledge with us. FYI, My 21 S.A.W. boat hit aprox. 102 MPH yesterday and my

Stealth 21 Heat Race Boat can run 86 MPH in heat race trim. Collet drive on both boats. :D

Thanks For Sharing Fellas,

Mark Sholund
Well, I dont qualify as a really fast boater :D , but the strut setup of the 93mph boat I referred to can be seen here:

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...=241&pos=72

The cable is from Talon brand line trimmers, the square drive coupling at the engine end is Aeromarine.

Ian.

Guy's

I've run both and now i run all collet,

I've run over 100mph with my 67 oval boat [ square drive] and run

over 100mph with 45 [collet]..

i dont see a real difference, [the grass is allways green'a on the other side] :p

do what you please! there's more then one way to skin a cat...

regards Aaron

Guy's

I've run both and now i run all collet,

I've run over 100mph with my 67 oval boat [ square drive] and run

over 100mph with 45 [collet]..

i dont see a real difference, [the grass is allways green'a on the other side] :p

do what you please! there's more then one way to skin a cat...

regards Aaron
Aaron when i skin cats i usally go straight up the belly but i know other people

who go from paw to paw.

So yes there is more than one way to skin a cat :p

Latest posts

Back