End of race Day CMB .67 to do list.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimWalters

Just curious as to what others do at the end of race day motor maintenance? Drain fuel..? WD40? Any tips would be appreciated!
Thank you!

Make sure there is zero water.
Whether you bring it in running and quickly remove it from the water. Or run it on the bench. It takes a few minutes to remove water this way.
Back in the early 90’s I used wd first then trans fluid. Never an issue.
These days I simply use this product. Blow it through the carb while spinning the engine with the starter. Then hold the boat transom down so the residue drains out of pipe. And blow some through the cooling.

Attachments

• IMG_6936.jpeg
    IMG_6936.jpeg
    571.2 KB · Views: 0
My routine, Pull the engine from the boat, remove the plug, fill the crankcase with wd40 and turn the crank over several times. Dump the wd and repeat. WD in the cooling jacket. Now same process in the case with oil except don't dump it the second time. Wrap in a paper towel and in the engine box. We use the same oil Danny showed.

In addition to what was said above, I run 0% (methanol and 20% oil) through the engine on the bench after the last run to flush the tank and bearings of any remaining nitro. Then a healthy squirt of ATF/Klotz mix down the carb with the plug pulled and some WD40 through the cooling jacket. Spin it over with the starter and blow the mix out of the plug hole. At home, I will remove the engine add some more ATF/Klotz mix and stand the engine vertical (carb up, collet down) so oil pools and lubricates both bearings. Leave it there for a day before putting it back in the boat with a paper towel under the motor to catch excess oil. Bearings will last a long time doing this.

I start with a nitro engine by pulling the line from the sump tank to the needle, set the carb at idle manually, put the ignitor on it and burn any excess fuel leftover in the motor. Whatever after run oil you use, use a lot of it. I leave an old plug, with the element removed, loosely in the head button. That way the crankcase becomes pressurized when you roll it over with the starter, and it does a good job of lubing the crank bearings and the rod needle bearings. I go from 24 volts to 12 volts on my starter before I spin the motor over and keep putting the after run oil in through the carb until it appears around the plug. Also flood the water jacket with WD.

Soon as I get home the motor is removed and pulled down and thoroughly sprayed with WD and covered with a rag until I can get back to it for inspection, cleaning and reassembly.

I will be switching to gas boats, and I am interested in what people think is the best way is to pickle gas motors after a race?

Last edited:
Run engine to remove moisture
Flush nitro with wd.40 unless ramped crank Nova
Short term fill engine with Marvel's Mystery oil or transmission fluid
Spray outside of engine with WD40 , wrap in paper towels to remove dirt from outside of engine. (keeps them looking new for years)
Unless running within a couple days all engines are stored outside the boat on a stand that holds them in a vertical position to keep bearings oiled.
Long term, completely disassemble clean , oil (Corrosion X)and store.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230718_073926_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230718_073926_Gallery.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Crosion x is great. But it's to viscous to migrate thru the crank bushing to the front bearing. Me, after last run, motor warm. Disconnect fule line from tank. Choke and spin to clear needel. Fill case thru head with crc 3-36 , give it a short spin and drain the rest out the pipe. Let motor sit pipe down. (Let's crc migrate to front bng. You won't belive how long a set of bngs will last

Back