how are the 1/8th scales guys

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooks93

I should have mine in hand very soon so I can start working on it before the nats..

how is everyone else's coming?

In this class I would rather finish last with no damage then finish first with damage

Last edited by a moderator:
Motor mount is in, strut is on. It's all in my head how to attach all the pieces. Still waiting on plans from Roger. I will probably just wing it though. This one will need a lot of testing so i better git er dun.

ya thats what I am thinking too.. but, I will be sending this one out to paint so there will be another 3 weeks of not having the boat to work on.. so maybe I can finish the other 5 I need to run at the nats.. LOL

Mine is coming along OK. I am stuck on the wing mounting thing and the wing pivot/securement method to use. I have been staring at the boat for a week now thinking about how to do it. For the wing uprights I was looking at the ones used by Don Ferrette on his Smokin Joe's in the picture gallery using aluminum angle stock glassed into the hull up through the deck. I have cut slots into the wing uprights and was going to use some small stainless fasteners to hold em on...type I don't know yet.

As for the wing securement...I am a little lost at the moment. I have looked through most of the picture gallery and haven't seen any good close up shots of this stuff.

maybe someone can post some of a wing assembly for us 1/8th scale newbies. All I can say is that it is an addictive thing looking at these beauties. The thought of 10-15 of these things running at the Namba FE Nats this year should be quite the show.

Steve

yep I have been wondering myself how I am going to mount them.. Not real sure but, was thinking the same thing.. alum or brass angle and nylon bolts with nuts so the wing will come off in a crash.

here is a picture of a BUD T5 rear wing setup.

The verticals are mounted on 1/8 thick wing mounts that are epoxy in the hull thru a slot in the deck, they go to the floor of the hull and stick up above the deck about 3/4".the deck alone is not strong enough for the stress of the wings.

The verticals are slotted to fit over the mounts and are held on with two nylon screws. the horizontal is held to the verticals with nylon screws.

This boat has the strut rods held to the transom with snap on ball links, but you can use any type of link. The brace struts are very important to the strenght of the assembly.

The wing should be mounted strong enough to NOT come off in a flip or running in rough water. If the wings stay on the boat they wont be damaged in a flip. The nylon bolts should shear if he boat gets into a collision, but there will be damage to the wings.

Last edited by a moderator:
The verticals are mounted on 1/8 thick wing mounts that are epoxy in the hull thru a slot in the deck, they go to the floor of the hull and stick up above the deck about 3/4".the deck alone is not strong enough for the stress of the wings.
Phil is this how your boats come?

brooks93 said:
Phil is this how your boats come?

85599[/snapback]

I have the info and a pattern for the wing mounts in the setup sheets. You will have to do the work, you can do what you want to mount the wings, I just try to give you a good setup that works.

sweet.. no problem I can do that.. Shouldn't be to bad since its on the setup sheet.

I just try to give you a good setup that works.
works for me.. no sense trying to re invent the wheel. So you want the wings to stay on during a flip but, come off if you get hit.

Phil,

Thanks for the pic of the wing set-up.

Q: I see the nylon fastener at the front "pivot" point, how is the rear fastener configurred to allow for moving the rear of the wing up and down to adjust lift?

Thanks for the replies. We look to our more experienced brothers for help in setting these hulls up. Until recently we have not had the power to do these sized hulls justice on a "scale" that this year will bring :)

Here's a pic of the inside so far. The brown is phenolic micro balloons and resin filler used to correct some waves in the hull.

Steve

View attachment 3916

Hi Guys,

I'll try and get a couple pics posted of the setup I'm using on my 1/8th. The rear wing is adjustable and looks kinda cool too.

Steve, Nice job on the Bud so far! I like how you did up the cowl, I would have done the same. ;) What are you painting her up as?

Paul.

Steve on your Cowl did you glass that to the boat? I need to look at mine when I get it and see how I am going to do that also

SteveReesor said:
Phil,
Thanks for the pic of the wing set-up.

Q: I see the nylon fastener at the front "pivot" point, how is the rear fastener configurred to allow for moving the rear of the wing up and down to adjust lift?

Thanks for the replies. We look to our more experienced brothers for help in setting these hulls up. Until recently we have not had the power to do these sized hulls justice on a "scale" that this year will bring :)

Here's a pic of the inside so far. The brown is phenolic micro balloons and resin filler used to correct some waves in the hull.

Steve

85684[/snapback]

There are other options you can do other than nylon screws. You can get those small nylon L mounts i think they are a Goldgerg product.

I mount the rear wings with metal 6-32 screws, the horizontal on my boat has a 1/4 spruce block in the ends to tap threads into. the rear wing has to have a real good reason to come off my boat.

the rear hole on the vertical can be slotted to make the angle adjustable. This needs to be done the rear wing angle can affect the ride to help keep the boat on the water. the horizontal has a flat bottom so it has some lift. Faster it goes the more affect it will have.

the t5 Bud has the front wing to adjust also. I suggest getting the goldberg angle mounts for this, On one end they have a hole that is open with a slot so it snaps onto a screw. If the boat hits a bouy with the wing it will pop off and not be damaged.

But who would hit a bouy with a nice scale boat. LOL

Thanks Phil,

That's exactly what I was looking for.

I am going to heed your advice when it comes to the support bracket and extend it to the hull bottom and glass it in place.

I hope to get strated on it this weekend.

Steve

SteveReesor said:
Thanks Phil,
That's exactly what I was looking for.

I am going to heed your advice when it comes to the support bracket and extend it to the hull bottom and glass it in place.

I hope to get strated on it this weekend.

Steve

86203[/snapback]

Your hull is open so you should be able to get plenty of glue on the bottom and at the deck. Cut a slot in the deck where the mount tab will be, then bevel the cut some, just use some epoxy or if youhave it, fiberglass resin. You could bend a tab on the bottom of the mount to sit on the floor of the hull but its not really needed.

well I got my 1/8th yesterday from Phil.. Awsome boat

should start the build on her soon so I will be able to share..LOL

Picture%20002.jpg

Back