Hammerhead .48 (project strategy)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about races in the states, but here in Japan, all the makers of RC products donate stuff like T shirts, Beach towels and of course, Stickers. I have tons of O.S and Futaba stickers. The Rising Sun stickers are compliments of Futaba. I would put American stickers on my riggers, but I they cost money.

got a 9350 for the rudder. Nice servo. Cost a lot of money, but I have always wanted to try one. Still waiting on the Hummingbird tank from Grimmy. When I get that, I will have everythink I need to get it into the water. Maybe 2 weeks from now I will break it in.

As far as the colors, my camera doesn't do me any favors. Guess that's what you get when you use a 40 dollar digital camera. I have a good sony one that is brand new, but I haven't loaded the software yet to process the pics.

This paint job is probably the best I have done. It is all candy colors. Used a polyurethane sparkly base coat and polyurethane clear candy blue and red for the colors. The running pads on the sponsons are carbon. I painted the candy red over the carbon. Really pretty effect.

I also put a coat of clear polyurethane over the whole boat.

Looking at 2.5 kgs for total weight.

Hammer

I tried to send some to MikeP. It got confenscated by customs before it even left Japan. That was right in the middle of the 911 crisis. I think that you need a special license to send it, and you have to use UPS or FEDEX. If some one is interested in buying like a case of it, it might be worth my while. It is 28 dollars a can. It is fuel proof to anything. There is enough in one can to paint an entire boat, maybe two. If I use 3 colors, a lot goes to waste. If you use Tamiya fuel paints, and go over it with a coat of clear poly urethane, it will hold up to any fuel, as well, but if you scratch the clear, the fuel will get the under coat.

Hammer

Hammer,

Nice paint scheme! ;D I use to use a similar scheme on my planes MANY years ago.

It would be nice if we could get that spray can paint over here as well, I might even be able to paint my own boats!

Ian

Don't want to get Dale upset, but I found a good use for the K90 carb intake nipple. Makes an excellent antenna mast.

Hammer

Have a small problem. Nothin' that a hacksaw wont fix. Too bad that I wont be able to use this cool water pick up system.

Hammer

minorproblem.jpg

This is a front view. Still some minor work before it gets wet. Gonna do some grinding on the engine tomorrow.

Hammer

front.jpg

Hack saws do wonders when your in a pinch. Now I'm gonna have to come up with another water pick up system. I think I have it figured out.

Hammer

Dsc00001.jpg

Did the Engine tuning today. The guy wasn't a very good teacher. He just told me to grind here and grind there. He didn't spend a lot of time telling me why. He did the exhaust port. He raised it 0.7 mm. He made the top a rounded shape. The other ports I did. I didn't cut into the plating. Just made angle troths for better oil flow. I also tapered the bottom of the sleeve. I put a 1 mm wide 1mm deep trench going from the top dead center of the con-rod down to were it the wrist pin goes through it on the fly wheel side. Tapered the inside edges of the rotor, but didn't change the actual size of it. The only thing that had the size changed was the exhaust port. Most of the grinding I did was on the piston itself. Drilled 4.5 mm holes on the left and right side of the piston at the same level as the wrist pin holes. Gutted out a lot of unnecessary aluminum from the inside of the piston. Shaved the back of the piston all the way down to the wrist pin support in a large half circle.

Learned a real cool trick today. If you have a stubborn sleeve, an easy way to get it out is to stuff a paper towl into the sleeve when the piston is all the way down. Hold the paper towel into the sleeve with your thumb, and turn the flywheel. The sleeve will pop right out.

Tried to take pics, but they were so bad in quality, that you wouldn't be able to see what I did. Cheap camera. Doesn't like to take pics of shiny things.

Hammer

I would have been running it today, but I made a mistake in when converting inches to millimeters. I ordered a hummingbird 40 tank from grim, but when I got it, it was a little to wide for the tank room. Gonna have to wait a week or so till I get my new one.

I will include pics this time of how I reconfigured my water pick-up after having to cut the original on off due to the lack of space.

What I did is drilled a verticle hole through the meat of the the rudder hinge. I tapped the top for a nipple, and I epoxied in a 4mm brass pipe from the bottom for a pick up.

Hammer

WP.jpg

Here is the pic from the other side. You can also see the S255 that I increased the pitch on, and did some reshaping.

Hammer

WPPRP.jpg

I like that rudder, nice job on the water pickup! In fact nice job on the whole boat.

-MikeP

I like the rudder, too. There is one thing that I don't like about it, though. It has teflon bushing for the hinge. They don't last very long.

I usually use the teflon till they wear out, then replace them with hand made brass ones. Only 17 dollars for the blade, though. Can't beat the price. That is in Japan, anyway

Hammer

Took the boat to the pond Wednesday for a test/break-in run. Nothin' happening. It was really windy. There were white caps on the pond. I took it out again Friday. I was able to run 3 tanks, then it started raining really hard. Didn't have a chance to lean it out, but it looks like it is running with a pretty good posture. It is really light. I think it will really haul some but when I get it leaned out.

Hammer

Sorry to hear about the bad weather, :( I guess we aren't the only ones dealing with it!! Can't wait to see some vids after you get it leaned out.

I finally got it broken in and leaned out yesterday. I think I had the needle maxed. Unfortunately, about 2 laps into it and I lost my sub muffler. Couldn't run with out one. Club rules. Shucks! I have to get another one on order and mount it so I wont lose it. Looks like I'm going to do a little snorkling this summer. That was a 75 dollar sub-muffler.

Hammer

GOOD LUCK !!!! YOUR GOING TO NEED IT !!!!!!

:'(

Take a good flash light, it's dark as soon as you get near the bottom !!!! The fishing wire and crimp sleeves will cure that problem but does nothing for the beauty of the boat :-

Back