Hammerhead .48 (project strategy)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Hammer's "strategy" here (correct me if I'm wrong) is to run a much smaller & lighter B Class hull with a C Class engine that won't rip the boat apart.

Am I close?

Your right on target Propjockey! The reason I'm going for a 45 is so I will be able to use a tiny boat in a big engine class. Most .67s have the same case as a 90.

Your right about the crank shaft pin on the .67 Picco. That is why all the dealers stopped carrying them here Tim. No I don't think a .48 will out power a .67, EMS.

But, I bet I can make up the difference with the boat.

Hammer

Hammer,if you reduce the crank pin in dia it will still be a 48!!

If you move the center of the pin you can reduse or increse the volume........

Anders

Anders! I made a post, and deleted it, because I was just assuming, now I know, The guy who is doing it will is doing exactly what you say. He will be changing the center of the pin. The milling will lower the dia of the pin, so he will make a connecting rod to match it.

It all makes sense if you think about it.

Thanks for the info.

Damned rain. I can't work on my Tub, because of the rain. All I have to do now is put the bottom decking on, and it will be finished.

Tim! The crankshaft that I had made will use the stock connecting rod. I will lengthen the stroke to 20.4mm

The connecting rod is exactly the same as the stock connecting rod. It was machined out of stainless, then tempered. Post pic as soon as I find it.

Hammer

This pic is of the machining in progress

Machine.jpg

Those pic's are Very cool ;D

Have you considered changing the liner height in the longer stroke motor?

Also things like sub piston induction if the skirt of the piston is not long enough to cover the exhaust port completely at TDC?

The TDC isn't supposed to change from the stock version. It is the bottom of the stroke that will be deeper. Other than that, I really don't know what to do that will get it running correctly, have to put it together and see how it will turn. Other people have done this, or things similar,so I don't think there will be any problems. Hammer

Hammer,

Just a thought, but wont you run into the same issues that our X hydro folks have? There are so many twins that the single 80s and 90s have to be set up to run light ont he water to keep pace.... then the twins stir the water up so much that the singles become unstable... Ask Ian about running his hummingbird on the water with a few twins.

Wont you have the same issue with the 67s carving the water up more than the 45s do in their own heat?

EMS Racing

Craig,

Hammer is building a oval time trial boat, it wont need to run against others.

My strategy with the single 90 is wait till the others stop! If I had it running properly at the Nats I would have won at least two of my heats like that. 8)

Ian.

Thanks to the weather cooperating, I was able to finish most of the tub today. I still have to put the rear sponsons on. I have them blocked up and ready to go. I will start the sponsons tomorrow.

Here is a pic from the transom end. Hammer

strategy1.jpg

Here is a pic from the nose. I had took one of the whole thing, but it was really blurry.

Hammer

strategy2.jpg

Okay guys! Here's a question for you. I came up with this great way ( I think ) to get the water out of the tub of my rigger while I'm running. I used this with my Hammerhead .90 last year. I know they have auto bailers for Monos, I make my own. I finished the Tub of the STRATEGY completely yesterday. I incorperated my water injection system in it, as well. I will get some pics up tomorrow.

Please show me what you're doing on riggers.

Hammer

Hammer,

We always drilled holes in the bottom back of the fuel tank, engine, and rear compartments on our riggers. It has always worked well for me. A slight angle to the rear if possible.

Wanted to take pictures of what I did, but my camera batteries are dead. Gonna have to wait. I will describe it for now. I put two 15mm holes right up next to the bulkhead between the radio box and the engine room. The go into the rear sponsons. There are slots in the back of the rear sponsons where the water is forced out. Just for the fun of it, I filled the boat with water. It sounded like a toiled flushing.

Hammer

A 1/4" hole with a one way flap made from radio box tape on the under side works really well. You fold back half of the tape on itself and that goes over the drain hole. Drains good while running and seals when you stop.

-MikeP

I have noticed that my friend SG fills with water when it stops, the problem is it sinks down so low you cant see it, seems kinda scary if other boats are running.

-MikeP

Back