Gas Thor Prototype Getting Close!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe he's got a first in the first heat, and maybe a second in the second heat, not sure on the second in the second heat though.

From what I have been told from the race site, they completed the first two rounds of gas tunnel today and Shaw has booked a 1st and a 2nd place finish in the gas tunnel class. He said that his straight line speed is off some and they are trying to figure out what is going on. They are hoping to get it resolved before tomorrow. Everybody seems to be happy with everything but the 2nd place finish.

Ron and his team will be going over it all. It is a new set up and its first race water test.

-Carl

Richie,

Ron switched over to the Lawless Lower before the race started as he had some issues with the geared unit. The prop placement of the Lawless suits the boat better.

-Carl

The boat performed very well. Ron may (or may not) give setup details but since there will be other 470's out there soon that he will have to compete against. He may want to save an edge in his setup details. You could email him and ask him some of the details.

Ron Shaw drove the new THOR 470 to "1st Place" in the Gas Tunnel Class this weekend.

Thanks to all the team: Ron Shaw, Mike Brevoort, Dave Roach and Martin Tidwell. GREAT JOB GUYS!

-Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
The boat performed very well. Ron may (or may not) give setup details but since there will be other 470's out there soon that he will have to compete against. He may want to save an edge in his setup details. You could email him and ask him some of the details.

Ron Shaw drove the new THOR 470 to "1st Place" in the Gas Tunnel Class this weekend.

Thanks to all the team: Ron Shaw, Mike Brevoort, Dave Roach and Martin Tidwell. GREAT JOB GUYS!

-Carl
Thanks Carl. I also want to thank our engine builder team member, Donnie Padgett. His motors have helped me win several major gas tunnel races, and with this latest win he keeps "racking them up". Thank you Donnie for your hard work last minute before and during the SAWS to help us have a powerplant and lower that we could work with in Charleston. Everyone's hard work paid of!!!!....
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
For the people who may have watched this clip, notice at the beginning that this is the first time the boat has ever been raced. As the team raced and watched the boats behavior, they were able to tweak the setup and settle the hull out and also find more speed in the 4 & 5th rounds. This boat has a lot more performance that we haven't touched yet. Ron has a power head like the one Shane had on his boat (the boat that jumped the clock) but elected not to run it yet. Shane had that engine twisting some H2o.

I talked to Shane this afternoon and he said that he lost everything he gained from the speed trying to turn the boat. Smoothness is what you want guys. It doesn't matter if the glue just cured or your boat or if your model is 15 years old. Smooth turns will keep your boat settled and will also keep the driver calm during the closest of races.Take it from an ole guy who has built every kind of tunnel boat I could dream up.

Next year the gas class should be a barn burner. THOR

-Carl

Back