Gas hydro question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking into gas hydroplane. I have been looking into Classic Thunderboat rules and it says the hull must be a Round nose or Step deck or Chisel nose. I know what a round nose type is but the other two? I have been looking at Roger Newton plans and like the U-6 1993 Frosted Flakes boat. Is this type of hull a Step deck or a Chisel nose? I want to enlarge the plans to about a 54 inch boat.

I have been looking into gas hydroplane. I have been looking into Classic Thunderboat rules and it says the hull must be a Round nose or Step deck or Chisel nose. I know what a round nose type is but the other two? I have been looking at Roger Newton plans and like the U-6 1993 Frosted Flakes boat. Is this type of hull a Step deck or a Chisel nose? I want to enlarge the plans to about a 54 inch boat.
Neither, its a picklefork hull. It's not legal in the Classic Thunderboat class. There is a newer Scale Hydroplane class going in WA where it is legal. Hopefully interest will grow in this class.

"....hull must be a Round nose or Step deck or Chisel nose. I know what a round nose type is but the other two? I have been looking at Roger Newton plans and like the U-6 1993 Frosted Flakes boat."

Peter,

The 1993 Frosted Flakes boat is a modern day style hydroplane and not a suitable choice for Classic Thunderboat- it is a pickle fork style hull. Here are a couple pictures. Bardahl is the classic round nose style.Picture "2" is an example of a step deck - note that the sponson tops are not a continuous curve with the crown of the center deck - there is a vertical step down of these surfaces. DSC00240 is an example of a chisel nose hull. Most of the hull plans of real hydroplanes available from David Newton that are suitable for Classic Thunderboats raced prior to about 1969. All were powered by Piston engines, usually of the Rolls Royce or Allison V-12 style. I hope this helps you with your question. CHEERS !!! Bob

I was thinking about a class for the newer kind of scale type hydroplanes, max 55 inch with stock Zenoah engines. What do you think? Sounds like fun to me.

Yup read there rules, that works for me too. I read about a club that runs 1/4 scale Crackerboxs with stock homelites only. No hell for speed but is the racing ever tight. I like that's it's more about the driver then who has the best motor.

Back