Fireball Glow plugs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad, I don't disagree with your suggestion.... personally, I've rarely had a flame out issue with glow plugs- present day plugs,

or going back to the days of the OPS RC300 3v plugs (0.30mm wire, 6 amps). But, then again, I don't run these super tight

squish clearances a lot of people presently run, and am backing down on nitro %'s and designing pipes, timing, and particularly

blowdown, around that- with that said, I really don't care what anyone else's doing..... I just will try to do what I can to help this

hobby survive, affordably.

I have had issues with O'Donnell plugs being dead out of the box, to the tune of 2 per 10. Others in our club have had similar

issues. Make no mistake, I like the O'Donnell's, but have had much better fate with Rossi and NovaRossi (RIP) plugs.

I can only speak from mine own experiences on the matter.

Thanks-

tim

View attachment 289792

I can only speak from mine own experiences on the matter.
The medium I am told in the yellow are the best ones.
The problem is you can not get them.
Mantua will not ship to the USA. and Got nitro is stagnate.

Another problem with running a heavy coil like the RC300 is if you lose a plug the coil is going to do some damage on the way out...

Some more food for thought with using the spools of element wire would be to develop a"rebuildable" glow plug. Something you could take apart and wind your own coil... sure would cut down on the overall cost of plugs !!

There are several outfits handling HSP plugs I think are made in Taiwan. Some are as low as $6.50. Product is aimed at the car industry. Anyone had experience with these?

I don’t have a source for plugs but ODONNELL 289s are available at John Otto technology hobbies. Great plugs.

I don’t have a source for plugs but ODONNELL 289s are available at John Otto technology hobbies. Great plugs.
I know I got some from him last time I bought plugs.
Just got 20 more before the price goes over the moon.
Not as good as the old OD 099
Little to cold for me.
Have some #6 Rossi from All also.

Last edited:
Some eng you can do all that and not take a plug and some you just look at and it takes one. My .77 EVO will lock up and stop and not take the plug. But the HR will take it every time you try and really turn it up. There is no one thing that will help every eng. Wish it was that simple.

I love the power and speed. I do all I can to go as fast as I can. That is racing to me. I have a goal to race at 100MPH. This is what drives me no more no less.

Last edited:
Well John called me he is all sold out.
Will credit my $$$ back.
Has no idea of when or what the new price will be as of right now.

i could spout off allot of ideas and theories but ,,,esp 4 the ones saying lets try a new way lets try this --- blow a plug =richen it up.
dont argue,no theories/explinations,,,dont matter ,not relevant... just keep richening till u stop blowing

THEN or at the same time do WHATEVER it takes to get ur speed/handling/throttling/milling/whatever back where u want it. no leaning ,keep ur plug and get the boat working.
try it ,u might like it .

on a side note coldest thing i ran when i was first learnin was a mc9,,,dang i blew some plugs. figured it out ,with some 100mph club member help n then i pretty much gave away all the mc9s.
cant give me a plug that doesnt have super hot in the title now

I was told to pre heat a new plug, let it cool, then fire the motor. I run 50% fuel. I'm just an average driver, my gold is to finish and let the chips fall were they may. Having fun and friends is more important than winning. OMHO :cool:
I always heat and cool new plugs 3 times. I was told a long time ago it anneals the wire and thus is less brittle. I have never had a plug failure due to a broken wire.

I always heat and cool new plugs 3 times. I was told a long time ago it anneals the wire and thus is less brittle. I have never had a plug failure due to a broken wire.
Then you have never tried a 289 or MC- 9 lol .Lost a heat in Huntsville due to a weld on the wire to the body of a new MC 9 and have had many 289's break way down inside with no signs of heat .

Then you have never tried a 289 or MC- 9 lol .Lost a heat in Huntsville due to a weld on the wire to the body of a new MC 9 and have had many 289's break way down inside with no signs of heat .
Hi Tom,
I have run nothing but MC-9's in my Rossi .21s and Picco 45s (65% nitro) for more than 30 years. Two of my 21s are starting their 3 season on the same plug. I am currently sitting on about 90 plugs and you could not pay me enough to part with one of them. I honestly don't know how they perform in the big blocks and frankly I don't care because those dudes are too rich for my blood. You really need to anneal them first!!!

Back