Onboard glow igniters

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Schymik

Anyone had any experience with onboard glow igniters while the boat is running? I wonder if it would help at idle to keep the fire from going out while milling slow.
Thoughts?

Brian
I used them years ago. It was mostly a band aid for running too cold of a plug. I used both on all of the time and switched so only on below set throttle position. Both worked.

I use them in TT and SAW boats where cold plugs are required when you load up the motor for a pass or series of laps, but launching and milling equally important. I am using a simple 3800NiMh single cell with a ground terminal and Hangar 9 glow plug clip. I ran about 15 times in my TT boat on a single charge although it was flat at the end of the day. I have not use any of the fancier electronic version's but they do exist.

Tenergy 3800mAh NiMH

Hangar 9 Remote Glow Plug Adapter

Thx. I saw a fancy electronic one and thought I’d try it out.
I use them in my nitro heli’s, partly for convenience of not dragging an igniter to the flight line and then we run them so rich to help cool the engine that they have a tendency to flame out. The onboard electronic igniter covers all of it really well. I can’t remember the brand and the heli’s are stored for winter but will try to take time to dig one out and let you know.
John

The late Dick Jones had a thing he called the Gizmo. He told me about it and was going to try testing it but circumstances change.
Would love to know what ever happened to it?

I use them in my nitro heli’s, partly for convenience of not dragging an igniter to the flight line and then we run them so rich to help cool the engine that they have a tendency to flame out. The onboard electronic igniter covers all of it really well. I can’t remember the brand and the heli’s are stored for winter but will try to take time to dig one out and let you know.
John
You may remember ....was Bridge's un regulated straight batteries.

Yes, 1-1/2 volt drycells. John always referred to them as “lit” plugs. It made a big difference in keeping the two engines running. I’ve seen many people at time trials add unregulated batteries to their plugs as well.
Thanks, This thread made me wonder if he was going straight to the plugs or regulated. I can see the advantage on a twin.

Jim Wilson used a AA Nicd battery i an A Mono. He used to run so much fuel through his motor, the plug needed help staying lit. I tried it on an A Mono and it made a difference, bringing up the revs, at idle when it was connected. Can't prove that it helped me much in a heat. The main problem was it drew so much current, the battery would only last a few heats. Maybe with a voltage controller and a bigger LiPo, it would last longer. in reality, it's just one more thing to set up and manage so I dropped it.

I think it would be cool if we could come up with a system with a rechargeable battery. Any idea why this hasn’t been done yet? Seems like many have used something over the years and while it may not help with top end performance, keeping the plug lit would certainly be a benefit with milling and low speeds.

I think it would be cool if we could come up with a system with a rechargeable battery. Any idea why this hasn’t been done yet? Seems like many have used something over the years and while it may not help with top end performance, keeping the plug lit would certainly be a benefit with milling and low speeds.

I use rechargeable batteries in my SAW BOAT, but they do not last long.
You basically have a constant dead short.

It would take a2 volt glow plug battery, but weight is an issue with SAW and size.

In a heat racing boat, F hydro mono it could be used

Hi Guys, I remember about 30 years ago, Dale Linehart had an onboard ignition system on his 40 Hughey rigger. He also had a micro switch on the throttle that would only turn on if the throttle was less than half way. I was pitting for him at either the Mini Gold Cup or the Buckeye 880 I was pitting for Dale and the driver next to us told his pitman that he did not know where he was on the clock. His pittman said, stick close to Dale, he's always on the clock. When Dale heard that, he knew he was early so when he was 2/3 of the way to the start line, he shut down to about 1/3 throttle and all of the other drivers passed him and were over the line giving Dale a one lap lead over the whole field.

Back