DSM

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two of these radios with the PK - FSM2.4 MODULES .Can I use the 603 FF RECEIVERS with them as well ? Also specifies digital only servos . Guidance is appreciated.View attachment 302239
Tom,
from what I have researched the 603FF and the 603FS work with the FSM2.4 module. I believe the digital servos are only needed when in HRS mode, analog or digital can be used when in PPM mode. I am currently converting a 3PJ to 2.4, awaiting a NIB FSM2.4 module and some 603FF receivers. I hope I am right in using analog servos as I would not be able to afford replacing all my servos at the moment.

Last edited:
Ken,
What you said is all correct. No surprises.

You need all digital to use HRS with the seamless failsafes built in transmitter for all 3 channels.

The PPM failsafe for analogue has to be set every time the radio is powered down and back on and only available for channel 2 throttle.

To set that you put the throttle where you want it to failsafe to and then push a button on the module or on a 3PM or 3PM-X there is a pushbutton on the back of the transmitter.

With ALL digital servos in HRS you have seemless failsafes on all channels.

Be aware the antennas are coax and delicate compared to a FM copper wire antenna. Only the last 1" tip of the coax wire is actually the only part receiving as the shielding is stripped away from that last bit and the core of coax is the antenna.
Never push one up the antenna tube and fold it over the top and cap it. Best to only use a antenna tube in the radio box lid and wire straight up the tube. Velcro the receiver under the lid and all the wire can go right up the tube. No need for extended antenna's when done that way.

Last edited:
Ken,
What you said is all correct. No surprises.

You need all digital to use the seamless failsafes built in transmitter for all 3 channels. The PPM failsafe for analogue has to be set everytime the radio is powered down and back on.

With ALL digital servos in HRS you have seemless failsafes on all channels.
Thanks Daniel,
I just run my boats for fun, and thought it was time to move up to 2.4G without braking the bank. So Im slowly learning all the in and outs of this technology. Upon ready the posts here I first thought I should have stayed with FM 75MHZ. But after reading everyones posts I now feel I made the right move using the Futaba 2.4G system

I have two of these radios with the PK - FSM2.4 MODULES .Can I use the 603 FF RECEIVERS with them as well ? Also specifies digital only servos . Guidance is appreciated.View attachment 302239
When I made the initial jump to 2.4 I ran that set up, 3PK with FASST 2.4 module and ran analog servos in PPM mode. I will say the 603FS RX is a better choice for boats as it has 2 antennas, one internal and one external, the FF only has one external. I did some range testing and the FS was definitely better than the FF. When the 4PK-S came out I switched to that TX and still run it to this day with 603FS RXs.

Tom, if you make the transition and use digital servos make sure to use a large enough battery as the digital servos really suck up the juice.
John

Tom

I use digital servos in my boats and can tell you that with a 10C LiFe I use around 35 to 50 MAH per run (tank)..

Having said this.. my helis with digital stabs uses around 300ish per.. (6min flight)

If we used digital stabilization of some type.. we would use em up quite quick as the servos are in demand EVERY millisecond.

John is making a great point.. use the correct battery.. (I will also add switch into that)

Grim

When I made the initial jump to 2.4 I ran that set up, 3PK with FASST 2.4 module and ran analog servos in PPM mode. I will say the 603FS RX is a better choice for boats as it has 2 antennas, one internal and one external, the FF only has one external. I did some range testing and the FS was definitely better than the FF. When the 4PK-S came out I switched to that TX and still run it to this day with 603FS RXs.

and to add to that!

Grim

I don't think anyone is being "forced" to upgrade. The new rule says that only for sanctioned NAMBA races will 2.4 be required. For club racing, sport running etc. All FCC legal surface frequencies are allowed. It is my experience that whatever evolutionary changes happen there are always folks who are not happy about it. I believe Mike Mullarkey is publishing an article in the next propwash from Futaba engineers about the specific limitations and variances of crystal based radios. If does also give folk two seasons to upgrade their radios. I think this is a good thing for the hobby, there is always resistance to change.

I don't think anyone is being "forced" to upgrade. The new rule says that only for sanctioned NAMBA races will 2.4 be required. For club racing, sport running etc. All FCC legal surface frequencies are allowed. It is my experience that whatever evolutionary changes happen there are always folks who are not happy about it. I believe Mike Mullarkey is publishing an article in the next propwash from Futaba engineers about the specific limitations and variances of crystal based radios. If does also give folk two seasons to upgrade their radios. I think this is a good thing for the hobby, there is always resistance to change.
Explain why you think it is good ? Have you ever had a radio problem in a boat that was caused by something other than water , battery , antenna , or switch ? Thanks .

Explain why you think it is good ? Have you ever had a radio problem in a boat that was caused by something other than water , battery , antenna , or switch ? Thanks .
My reasons for liking this does not have to do with reliability of the radios, if they didn't work, people would not use them. I think this move simplifies racing and makes it more safe due to conflicts. I saw a post for Bill Britton talking about how folks use non 2.4 frequencies when registering for races to manipulate heats and in all the years I have attending races I have yet to see a transmitter impound which is required by the rules for non 2.4 frequencies. That would mean to me that if folks are running 75MHz and 27MHz that they are not being impounded. But MOST importantly this helps race organizers by simplifying registration and heat generation and heat management. I am working on a project where this is at the very center of this question. Trust me this is a good thing in the long run for the hobby.
BTW I cannot say that I have any more or any less radio problems with 2.4 than I did with FM radios. Like a number of folks have said, most of my radio problem were the weakest component, me!

My reasons for liking this does not have to do with reliability of the radios, if they didn't work, people would not use them. I think this move simplifies racing and makes it more safe due to conflicts. I saw a post for Bill Britton talking about how folks use non 2.4 frequencies when registering for races to manipulate heats and in all the years I have attending races I have yet to see a transmitter impound which is required by the rules for non 2.4 frequencies. That would mean to me that if folks are running 75MHz and 27MHz that they are not being impounded. But MOST importantly this helps race organizers by simplifying registration and heat generation and heat management. I am working on a project where this is at the very center of this question. Trust me this is a good thing in the long run for the hobby.
BTW I cannot say that I have any more or any less radio problems with 2.4 than I did with FM radios. Like a number of folks have said, most of my radio problem were the weakest component, me!
I believe its not a good thing anymore to impound radios. This puts the burden of a broken radio or a stolen one on the club. Yes I have seen both,Mark Bullard is still looking for his new radio that was snatched at a race.......

I believe its not a good thing anymore to impound radios. This puts the burden of a broken radio or a stolen one on the club. Yes I have seen both,Mark Bullard is still looking for his new radio that was snatched at a race.......

I do remember that well. I was told that they were out of the first case of the new 3PK radios that came into the country. Darn good radios. Bought two of them, one was on 78 and the other was on 68. The 78 was the one that was stolen from the impound. I never put another radio into a impound again.

I have both types of radios, and I like utilizing both options. I plan on running 27mhz at the timed events for Huntsville's Internats. I too saw Stu's and Marty's boats hit the shore in Huntsville.

I will state a fact, My Sanwa FM 27mhz transmitter antenna never failed, was broken, or bent. My Futaba TX antenna didn't last a year before it broke. Now I have to use radio box tape to support the antenna. This makes my new Futaba radio look like junk. I like it's function, but I question the quality and design of that folding antenna. Oh btw, my three new twin stick radios are now discontinued. The radios are kept in a firm foam supported caring case when not in our hands. I guess I'll just need to keep adding more tape.

Tom Foley
IF I'm still on the IMPBA board, I will be a no vote when this comes up; however, I realize the many will dominate the few over this nonissue made into a catastrophe. The push from the "conformity or else crowd" won't accept the proven practices of the individual. Also those that think a father & son or life long friends helping / pitting for each other is cheating will be satisfied too when this eventually passes.

Today, I enjoy RC Boating too much to quit over the headstrong political garbage. I hope you do too!
MG

I have both types of radios, and I like utilizing both options. I plan on running 27mhz at the timed events for Huntsville's Internats. I too saw Stu's and Marty's boats hit the shore in Huntsville.

I will state a fact, My Sanwa FM 27mhz transmitter antenna never failed, was broken, or bent. My Futaba TX antenna didn't last a year before it broke. Now I have to use radio box tape to support the antenna. This makes my new Futaba radio look like junk. I like it's function, but I question the quality and design of that folding antenna. Oh btw, my three new twin stick radios are now discontinued. The radios are kept in a firm foam supported caring case when not in our hands. I guess I'll just need to keep adding more tape.

Tom Foley
IF I'm still on the IMPBA board, I will be a no vote when this comes up; however, I realize the many will dominate the few over this nonissue made into a catastrophe. The push from the "conformity or else crowd" won't accept the proven practices of the individual. Also those that think a father & son or life long friends helping / pitting for each other is cheating will be satisfied too when this eventually passes.

Today, I enjoy RC Boating too much to quit over the headstrong political garbage. I hope you do too!
MG
You know I won't quit and I am not against change for the better . I am however against change for change's sake .

Tom Foley

MG

Mark, send me a PM with your antenna issue please. (pic would be great!)

Thanks

Mike Z (grim)

Joe, A few simple rules.

If you did not do it with MHZ dont do it with 2.4. Meaning.. If you did not lay the RX antenna horizontal i the boat with MHZ dont do it with 2.4 either. Just some basics like that.

Then.. a Diversity RX is ALWAYS best.. and they are readily available..
(28) Futaba Diversity RX - YouTube

Futaba Marine team members recommend the use of a 400mm RX antenna. Can you get away with out it.. YES.. but, whatever the case. its best to get the end of the RX antenna as far up away from the water as you can.

Its best to use (as described in the manuals of the systems), genuine Futaba Electroncis with your Futaba radio systems.

Its best to use a RX battery that CAN deliver the amperage needed to get it all done. Having not used one.. It looks like Bill Brandt has a great option. MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS 10C OR MORE! NICD,, sure.. NIMH.. eh.. i dont know.. not for me.. LiFe, great choice BUT.. it must be over 10C.. and LiPo.. s.......ure.. sometimes.. if you have the experience and understand what you are dealing with... then sure.

Grim
How do you add the antenna extension ? At the point of origin ? Part available ?

Back