Radio discussion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, it’s this kind of information that leads to boats out of control and 2.4 being blamed. 2.4 is line of sight technology, your antenna should always be outside the box and the 3/4” coax tip should be a minimum of 2” from any conductors. If you have your antenna inside a radio box, I challenge you to do a radio check. I’m pretty sure you’ll have a significant shorter range. Just my 2 cents.
John
John, never any issues, you can do a range check in lower power mode just for this purpose. I’ve done these tests and in low power mode could go across the pond and still have control. Its a non issue. I’m using the 7 channel receivers with dual antennas in boats as well as the scale airplanes I fly. The airplanes fly alot further away than any boat, even if people think the water surface contributes to less range.

John, never any issues, you can do a range check in lower power mode just for this purpose. I’ve done these tests and in low power mode could go across the pond and still have control. Its a non issue. I’m using the 7 channel receivers with dual antennas in boats as well as the scale airplanes I fly. The airplanes fly alot further away than any boat, even if people think the water surface contributes to less range.
Oh, and by the way, I have never used a 3 channel 2.4 system with the single antenna. Those I believe you must have the antenna outside the box. The dual antenna system you make sure the antennas are 90 degrees to each other and separated. My scale hydros, riggers, monos, etc have all been run this way for years since 2005 and not one glich. I cannot count how many airplanes I’ve had with the antennas inside the fuselage since 2005 as well.

I acquired a 4 pm my old m8 finally took a crap on display.One thing I really like is the telemetry i don’t have anything fancy yet but like the fact I can see the voltage on the receiver.This is real handy you can see if there’s a voltage drop or your battery needs charged On the transmitter.I plan on a gps next.There’s so much to learn after setting up my rigger I was setting up a mono so I was reading the manual and found there’s more then one setting on the throttle type still learning.So I’m going to redue the rigger throttle.Next will be the whiplash I’m building.I wasn’t planing on upgrading but was forced to I bought a cheap fly sky radio it works but the 4 pm is so much nicer .The fly sky is the same price as the receiver for the futaba You get what you pay for.

Let me start by saying that it is absurd to eliminate a proven radio platform from racing for no other reason than it makes race setup easier . OK said it . Done .
Good morning Tom,
I am not sure that was the primary reason at all but certainly a benefit. The truth is that DSM is safer for the simple fact that you do not have to worry about frequency conflicts. This has always been the biggest risk in RC is the possibility of someone turning on a transmitter while you are running your model. I don't believe anyone is being "forced" to do anything, it is just a requirement for NAMBA Sanctioned Races, like any other safety rule. When 72Mhz was banned for surface use for safety I am sure there was some grumbling, or the switch to FM. I think this is a positive evolution of our radio technology. JMHO.

Last edited:
Good morning Tom,
I am not sure that was the primary reason at all but certainly a benefit. The truth is that DSM is safer for the simple fact that you do not have to worry about frequency conflicts. This has always been the biggest risk in RC is the possibility of someone turning on a transmitter while you are running your model. I don't believe anyone is being "forced" to do anything, it is just a requirement for NAMBA Sanctioned Races, like any other safety rule. When 72Mhz was banned for surface use for safety I am sure there was some grumbling, or the switch to FM. I think this is a positive evolution of our radio technology. JMHO.
I know what it is David , however it will prevent several of our guys from racing in Brandon because it is being implemented NOW instead of after the years end .

It's the "forced" thing that bothers me..

But the writing is on the wall... I managed to pick up a 4PX with 14 recievers from a good friend here on IW that was upgrading his radios, so I bit the bullet and moved on to 2.4.... time will tell if they are any "better" than my dependable 75's....

It's the "forced" thing that bothers me..

But the writing is on the wall... I managed to pick up a 4PX with 14 recievers from a good friend here on IW that was upgrading his radios, so I bit the bullet and moved on to 2.4.... time will tell if they are any "better" than my dependable 75's....
One thing I really like the 2.4 hi-tech receivers is the failsafe is just push the trigger forward and hold the button and it sets it. then if you lose signal it just closes the throttle. We also are having great luck spraying them with conformal coating then putting them back in there cases once dry and haven't had a glitch since waterproofing them.

Some of this come down to a couple things to me.
1) making racers replace perfectly good equipment that they have cared for and maintained all these years and know the transmitter like the back of their hand is wrong. This hobby is dwindling now because of cost. Old guys don't change well and many race on a budget.
2) the radio issue is 2 fold. racers want to maintain their pitman as much as possible due to the cohesive need for communication and knowledge of the specific boat/racer. Racers do not get heat sheets prior to the race morning. So then you have to scramble for a pit person (all weekend or don't run the same class limiting entries). A 21 tunnel pit person starting launching a twin rigger and calling for it is a bad idea.
3) it sound like the safety issue is some inept racers not following rules to have the frequency tag if you turn your radio on period! so everyone else needs to by equipment to stop this. How about follow the rules.
4) we are adults we should not have to ask permission to use perfectly good equipment. So if the race club has a friend they know on your channel will they protect it from being used by others.

Just so everyone knows I run all DSM and have had more odd things happen on DSM than I ever did running75 MHZ. back in the 80's and 90's. I only went DSM when I got back in after 20 years because I did not want to buy a bunch of receivers that were hard to find. racers who have continually race all these years with the same radio should be allowed to use it as long as it is FCC legal.

I don't miss 75 a bit now. I can have every boat I have on one radio and no crystal changing. I ran cars for years and always had to have a whole box of crystals. Only thing I miss is my old 3ps airtronics radios but the hi-tech is actually far superior once you flash its firmware with the 8 channel version. it has every whistle and bell I could want for 50 bucks and I can buy receiver's 5 for 35.00 on eBay too.

Some of this come down to a couple things to me.
1) making racers replace perfectly good equipment that they have cared for and maintained all these years and know the transmitter like the back of their hand is wrong. This hobby is dwindling now because of cost. Old guys don't change well and many race on a budget.
2) the radio issue is 2 fold. racers want to maintain their pitman as much as possible due to the cohesive need for communication and knowledge of the specific boat/racer. Racers do not get heat sheets prior to the race morning. So then you have to scramble for a pit person (all weekend or don't run the same class limiting entries). A 21 tunnel pit person starting launching a twin rigger and calling for it is a bad idea.
3) it sound like the safety issue is some inept racers not following rules to have the frequency tag if you turn your radio on period! so everyone else needs to by equipment to stop this. How about follow the rules.
4) we are adults we should not have to ask permission to use perfectly good equipment. So if the race club has a friend they know on your channel will they protect it from being used by others.

Just so everyone knows I run all DSM and have had more odd things happen on DSM than I ever did running75 MHZ. back in the 80's and 90's. I only went DSM when I got back in after 20 years because I did not want to buy a bunch of receivers that were hard to find. racers who have continually race all these years with the same radio should be allowed to use it as long as it is FCC legal.
I agree . A radio is like a watch you get where it is part of you . Its just technology moves so fast and the 2.4 with its channel hop its just nice to know you wont have a plane put in when someone turns there radio on. I can still feel the fear and the air on my face running waving my radio at the gods trying to get my plane back. and it was someone turned there radio on that was the problem.

Good morning Tom,
"The truth is that DSM is safer for the simple fact that you do not have to worry about frequency conflicts" DSM is not any safer from a technology standpoint as both DSM and FM perform equally well. With so many now running DSM the "risk" from someone turning on an FM transmitter has been reduced at least ten fold. The "simple fact" as you call it is it's a convenience factor, period. Resolving frequency conflicts and impounding of non DSM radios is the responsibility of the host club just like it always has been. Banning the FM radios removes the need for impound and frequency issues which makes it easier on the club............. convenience.

"I don't believe anyone is being "forced" to do anything, it is just a requirement for NAMBA Sanctioned Races"
Read what you wrote but maybe a little slower so you realize racers are in fact being forced to run 2.4 to enter a sanctioned race.

"When 72Mhz was banned for surface use...." This just like narrow banding was required by the FCC. That same FCC still allows 27 & 75mhz to be used. As long as the FCC says it's OK it's not right for either organization to deny a boater that ability.

As I previously mentioned I've been running DSM for over 10 years but for those that still have FM radios they should be allowed to run them until they fade away or the FCC says otherwise.

I know what it is David , however it will prevent several of our guys from racing in Brandon because it is being implemented NOW instead of after the years end .
It sounds like they are going to help these folks out. If anyone is really hard up I would be glad to give them one of my radios. I don't want to see anyone excluded.

It sounds like they are going to help these folks out. If anyone is really hard up I would be glad to give them one of my radios. I don't want to see anyone excluded.
And that's the issue . Lots of us 75 guys thought we had till the end of the year . It's February ........ I started buying 2.4 stuff last year and have all kinds of equipment but still thought I had till years end .Why pull this BS now ? Makes you feel like a second class citizen . I'm about to say EFF IT and pull out as well and lose my entry because I know I will be pissed off all weekend !!!

Back