Decrease in entries...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to backtrack here as in insurance matters I sometimes need to read the policy. Anyway talking to my son (Jay) last night I found out the IMPBA policy would not have to re-rated for a risk of short term members. The contract allows IMPBA to determine who their members are. The underwriting concern is the annual number of members. IMPBA, its members and the property owner are considered named insurdes and covered for 5 million in liability.

As for daily memberships that is up to IMPBA. It can be manipulated and clubs would need to be diligent on getting signed applications and fees turned in afterwards. After nothing happens there still needs to be follow up. Maybe a one time membership at a reduced rate or a club being able to have one day a year fun run with an open pond would prevent potential abuse. A reduced rate on a full membership would give an incentive to come back and run again.

Mic
Thanks Mic, this is the kind of info I was hoping to find as Chili and I have been talking about a way to have a meet, great and try it type of SUPERVISED activity. Anything else you can foward to me that I can share with the BOD would be greatly appreciated. Getting new blood is one of the major issues we need to address and NOT the number of classes. Coming up with a way to have clubs be allowed a covered once a year function (so it doesn't get abused) like this would be a huge step in the right direction.
default_smile.png

I'd stated this yeeears back... if, in its entirety the main manufacturers reps ( Aquacraft not to be specific), could conference at high level with BOTH organizations and their ins. carriers and simply place a one time ( time specific) waiver in each box, tunnel, sport hydro, electric, whatever... with the appropriate national/district websites and direction.. yeah, there's major money involved... the manufacturers could swing it easily....why would they not?... Guy gets an RTR.. finds people to help him, races, maybe, (whoops there's a new member paid his now full member dues), and.... wait a minute... where do you get that fast 20 hydro from?... that tunnel?.. gas, whatever?... they come and go, and.. thats that.... and yeah... getting this idea even on before somebody craps on it.... major function... big scale money above anything function... until then... what?.. wither?.. Our group remains pretty stable at 6 to 8 guys.... I gave a mono to an electric flyer i knew from high school, 2 weeks ago, and he showed up just because his flyer buddy was now running FE boats... blew his mind....his buddy, a newer guy himself, volunteered a motor and parts... pow crash bang... new guy... he builds it and shows... great!.. We've been lucky, I've been lucky, to have a great building partner over the years also... Marty, takes it even farther... yearly volunteering his wood shop to select guys( that guy, or more, shows up to spectate and shows more than casual interest) and turn out new boats for next years testing... they come and go... stay, and go... join and race.... I'm double digit on freebie cast away hulls, in 14 years... Marty's even more.... is what it is, but, with his effort we consistently have enough tunnels buzzing around here to make our own legal heat, and... they love it.... so... we all have a spiderweb boat laying around.... between your group ill betcha there's a rig in there.... and yeah... its sloooow... work on it, invest in it, maybe... some guys are just happy for a doughnut runner.... then.... "we'll be going to a race in a month".... really?.. where at?... maybe ill drive over.... see what you guys actually test so much about.... guy likes hydros... so be it... tunnels so be it....doesnt matter, boats a boat... the kits and info ( back to manufacturers) are out there... and we're here.... bring it down. prop the guy... tune the guy... whatever... guaranteed theyll advance if they want to... if they dont... well, I'll be at the pond.... Tommy toenails is done.... well, some guys quit....structural building to mechanical, to the fine tuning and even racing ettiquette(sp), can force anybodys hair out... being there to help a guy, in a group, when he struggles is where its at.... most people cant take the frustration that... the stupid boat quits all the time.... and i gotta work to go get it... - couch and video games.... idk... i wont quit... I almost dont want to race anymore.... different can o worms there too... money... etc... its the lifetime righteous friends ive made... keeps me attending.... classes dont make... no big deal... one of my 4 will, and resting in a chair lakeside away from home aint so bad.... you aint working, right?... Rant.. ill see you men on the circuit... another year, how ya been?... lol... pass the Crown. its all good.... Mike

I have to backtrack here as in insurance matters I sometimes need to read the policy. Anyway talking to my son (Jay) last night I found out the IMPBA policy would not have to re-rated for a risk of short term members. The contract allows IMPBA to determine who their members are. The underwriting concern is the annual number of members. IMPBA, its members and the property owner are considered named insurdes and covered for 5 million in liability.

As for daily memberships that is up to IMPBA. It can be manipulated and clubs would need to be diligent on getting signed applications and fees turned in afterwards. After nothing happens there still needs to be follow up. Maybe a one time membership at a reduced rate or a club being able to have one day a year fun run with an open pond would prevent potential abuse. A reduced rate on a full membership would give an incentive to come back and run again.

Mic
Great info Mic. Thanks!

One way to accomplish this and the national organization still have some control and allow club's to control what date would work for thier "special event " is to require the club's to sanction the event. This would allow th eNational Org. to control what is required such as safety equipment in place and not just going to th elake and allowing anyone (non-member) boat with thier IMPBA buddy.

We have had too many "members" not following safety rules and allowing non-members to race even without membership of any kind.

One way to accomplish this and the national organization still have some control and allow club's to control what date would work for thier "special event " is to require the club's to sanction the event. This would allow the National Org. to control what is required such as safety equipment in place and not just going to the lake and allowing anyone (non-member) boat with thier IMPBA buddy.
I agree with having the special event(s) sanctioned. This would go a long way with the BOD I would think.
default_wink.png

"We have had too many "members" not following safety rules and allowing non-members to race even without membership of any kind".

This is true although I'm proud of the job we've been doing as an organization to keep this in check. The wrist bands were a great first step and we have been successful at raising awareness. The word is out that we are all (BOD) watching and will continue to do so.
default_cool.png

I am most likely going to step on toes again but.

Dose it matter if you are a member of a organization to run the boat when first starting out to see if you like boating?

So some one shows up off the street and wants to run a boat. I turn him away?

What message dose this send to some one?

Is complete control by a organization the goal here?

once a year fun run?

That will bring them to the pond one time if you are lucky.

Should not the clubs have the final say on how thy deal with there pond?

We went threw this here in FL already and flip flopped around trying to keep control of are clubs race in the clubs hands.

This did nothing but cause decent between the clubs in the state.

In the end it was a futile effort.

In the end it all came down to who is in control not what was best for the club or the hobby.

A organization should be for the betterment of the hobby and the support of the clubs.

Not who is in control.

The organization should make it easy to have fun not put up walls to climb over.

People want to have a escape from what thy deal with every day that is what a hobby is for.

I think this got lost some where along the way.

I am most likely going to step on toes again but.

Dose it matter if you are a member of a organization to run the boat when first starting out to see if you like boating?

So some one shows up off the street and wants to run a boat. I turn him away?

What message dose this send to some one?

Is complete control by a organization the goal here?

once a year fun run?

That will bring them to the pond one time if you are lucky.

Should not the clubs have the final say on how thy deal with there pond?

We went threw this here in FL already and flip flopped around trying to keep control of are clubs race in the clubs hands.

This did nothing but cause decent between the clubs in the state.

In the end it was a futile effort.

In the end it all came down to who is in control not what was best for the club or the hobby.

A organization should be for the betterment of the hobby and the support of the clubs.

Not who is in control.

The organization should make it easy to have fun not put up walls to climb over.

People want to have a escape from what thy deal with every day that is what a hobby is for.

I think this got lost some where along the way.
Sadly it's all about liability, we now live in the age of lawsuits and litigation (why do you think the IMPBA coverage is 5 million now???) and requiring sanctions and insurance coverage via some kind of membership are part of the environment. You may not like the answer but it's not even remotely open for debate, it is a necessary evil, period.

Is there not a way that to get the RTR manufacturer to add a free trial (six month ?) membership to IMPBA?

Activated with proof of purchase along with some literature about IMPBA ?

How cool would it be to get a membership to an actual racing organization with your very first boat?

A probationary one time 1 year membership.

Give the new guy a pickle for the first year free.

I bet this would get people in the door.

Once you get a taste of it you will come back for more.

R/C boating is very addicting.

They wouldn't have to get a life time #, just a number with a letter showing it's a temporary membership ?

A probationary one time 1 year membership.

Give the new guy a pickle for the first year free.

I bet this would get people in the door.

Once you get a taste of it you will come back for more.

R/C boating is very addicting.
That would get you back racing how ?

You are as lost as last years easter eggs in what you want- in one breath your done and the next its the best thing in the land .

Been hanging out with Robert again or what ?
default_laugh.png

What do the Orgs have to gain by offering free membership for a year ? A one time event coverage at a reduced cost, that can be used more than once is a better answer- you gotta pay if you want to play, that easy- the ins doesnt come free.

So I have one of these back killing 25 pound why do we have this class gas scale boats. They are becoming very popular in my district and they are fun to run. But according to a few on here we should NOT be allowed such a class. Then because you have such a closed minded personal feeling about it you attack someone on here who did not have squat on it becoming a class. The class was invented originally by Roger Newton from Seattle many years ago. But some how it got turned into Thunderboat class first. (Oh by the way gas scale are the same size and weight as much as a T boat, but I see no complaints on that class.) Now with the work of some people out in the Seattle area it has become a class. So it was us the membership here in district 14 that asked for the IMPBA to make it a class. The class is growing quickly around here I think that says something. Just 4 years ago at Evansville something like 30 RTR's showed up to race and many of the people just starting in that NEW class have gone on to race bigger classes and yep more boats. As it was stated here earlier it is what is popular in your area is what you race.

My two cents on entries shrinking is the state of the world right now. You can not point at one thing and say "that is it, thats the problem". So we have to work harder as a group of enthusiasts to keep our hobby alive. Also I feel we should have one governing body we all fall under (yeah I know another can of worms) . Numbers people numbers is the game in all aspects.
Just a little history

Don is correct, the gas scale was a Roger Newton idea back in 1990 or so. The class died due to some unforeseen issues:

1) the boats were too heavy for the allowed engine, the BH Hanson G230 w/Indy mod mandated by the initial rules

2) several boats would have been too big to be insured through the APBA due to the true 1/6 scale lengths

3) politics and agendas

When the first boats were completed, the projected top speeds in the 30MPH range were deemed to be too slow by a couple of the participants, resulting in some being retrofitted with 25.7cc jugs and pistons.

The size issue, solved with the present gas scale rules, should be self explanatory. Any boat modeled from a full sized unlimited over 30ft long would not be insurable.

Now comes the biggest problem, the politics and agendas. Unlike the present rules, the rules back then were constantly being rewritten. What was legal under one set was no longer legal under the next and vice versa. This lead, to my knowledge, to only 5 or 6 boats being completed and the whole thing falling apart. I dropped out and never completed my boat due to this "fluidity" in the rules.

One way to accomplish this and the national organization still have some control and allow club's to control what date would work for thier "special event " is to require the club's to sanction the event. This would allow the National Org. to control what is required such as safety equipment in place and not just going to the lake and allowing anyone (non-member) boat with thier IMPBA buddy.
I agree with having the special event(s) sanctioned. This would go a long way with the BOD I would think.
default_wink.png

"We have had too many "members" not following safety rules and allowing non-members to race even without membership of any kind".

This is true although I'm proud of the job we've been doing as an organization to keep this in check. The wrist bands were a great first step and we have been successful at raising awareness. The word is out that we are all (BOD) watching and will continue to do so.
default_cool.png
Doug it also takes the general membership watching along with the "BOD" we're all in this together to keep model boating alive and well.

While on the topic, the membership list is a great tool for the clubs to see who might not have current membership before a race. I had questions on a couple racers at our last district race and we took care of the discrepancies discretely BEFORE the race weekend. Less drama at the pond, everyone races, everyone happy. Hopefully the culture will continue to emphasize that safety and compliance is the responsibility of all members. Not just the BOD and CD's. If I lose my pond, everyone in my district looses a pond.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's that arguing with a pigeon thing Robert.

Look it up on the Internet. You will get a good laugh.

Yes all memberships should be checked at each race.

Not just taken for granted that a well know member has paid to play.
default_wink.png

It's that arguing with a pigeon thing Robert.

Look it up on the Internet. You will get a good laugh.

Yes all memberships should be checked at each race.

Not just taken for granted that a well know member has paid to play.
default_wink.png
coming from the pigeon that just cant stop eating the feed-
default_rolleyes.gif

Or do you just keep beating and beating the dead horse you supposedly walked away from Julian
default_ph34r.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back