Decrease in entries...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My father used to say (about business) "no matter what the issue, increased sales will cure it".

While not 100% accurate, I fully understood what he was saying, and I think that we can apply that here.

An increase in membership will cure this issue. I say we start seriously finding ways to attract members. Let's spend a little money on advertising, and reward local clubs for community involvement and recruitment.

If you think about it, it is kind of amazing that people find us at all. If somebody decides that they want to race model boats, they have to actively search for organizations.

It should be the other way around.

Just my 1.9 cents...

Joe

Jim,

Your spot on with your assessment of D2, except for one thing. We do not do a very good job of promoting the hobby around here, myself included. We have 3 clubs in the metro detroit area and most hobby shops do not know they exist. I keep saying I'm going to make a flier for the local place up here in Lake Orion and never seem to get around to it. It has to change. I am going to try and use the Spencer Park race this year as a means of local promotion by getting it advertised in the local papers again and have information available to spectators interested in the hobby. We always get a good turn out to the race and tons of spectators.
Mike, I agree. I'm not sure what shops are up your way, but down here we have the Prop Shop and Larry's Performance R/C, and both places are swarmed with R/C competitors of all stripes (car, plane, boat.) We haven't done much at all to promote, even though Matt @ the Prop Shop is happy to put flyers up for clubs and races.

on an aside, with the state running Belle Isle, we were running there last Sunday on Lake Muskoday and we spent about a half hour chatting with the State Police troopers. They were more than happy to have us down there testing, and suggested we talk to the park administrator about having a race there. Not something that would happen for at least several years, but at least we're welcome. With Detroit running the place you'd never know if you'd just be watched or bitched out.

My father used to say (about business) "no matter what the issue, increased sales will cure it".

While not 100% accurate, I fully understood what he was saying, and I think that we can apply that here.

An increase in membership will cure this issue. I say we start seriously finding ways to attract members. Let's spend a little money on advertising, and reward local clubs for community involvement and recruitment.

If you think about it, it is kind of amazing that people find us at all. If somebody decides that they want to race model boats, they have to actively search for organizations.

It should be the other way around.

Just my 1.9 cents...

Joe
I agree with this.

Before the first Hobart race even happened, Stu asked some of us to come to a "street festival" in downtown Hobart. We set up our tents and showed some boats. We had foam boards with servos, rx, batt pack all mounted and "live" so people could see what controls the boat. I had another board with an engine all taken apart and labeled what was what. Of course we had hydros and other classes of boats on display. We had literature from some manufactures to hand out. I really think it was very well received by the people at the festival. Alot of gearheads, tinkerers,woodcrafters,kids and even airplane/heli guys all were interested. Don't know if any of them pursued any further, but at least it was a way of getting what we do to people in general. We could not run any boats that day do to flooding ,but it was still a good day for promotion.

Although I was unable to attend this outing Ron is talking about.. my side kick Sponge Bob did make it.........

All kidding aside.. this race is really only so large because of the support of the community.

Grim

Joe has a good point. We need to advertise our hobby.

Last Sunday in church a person came up to me and wanted to see pictures of the boats I run because he had heard that I was at a model boat race the weekend before and did not know what that was all about. It reminded me.........Nobody knows what we do! I can't remember a time where someone said " yea......I know about R/C boat racing" They don't know what model boat racing is!

We have a very specialized hobby/sport. Todays folks are plug and play. Without an old pro to help them with a nitro boat they are totally lost. Gas is a lot easier becuse they may have used a weed eater at the house. Electric is a mad scientist venue like the guy from back to the future because even the old pros don't know how to match a speed controller to the right propeller without burning up all the electronics. So........first we need to let people know we are here and what we do. Then we need EVERYONE to step up and help these folks or they are subject to failure and will not continue with their new found adventure. The solution is in the pits, not in the BOD. In 46 years of experience I have seen clubs grow and decline and grow again. Not because of classes run or rule changes but because of the PEOPLE involved in the local clubs.

Last Sunday in church a person came up to me and wanted to see pictures of the boats I run because he had heard that I was at a model boat race the weekend before and did not know what that was all about. It reminded me.........Nobody knows what we do! I can't remember a time where someone said " yea......I know about R/C boat racing" They don't know what model boat racing is!

We have a very specialized hobby/sport. Todays folks are plug and play. Without an old pro to help them with a nitro boat they are totally lost. Gas is a lot easier becuse they may have used a weed eater at the house. Electric is a mad scientist venue like the guy from back to the future because even the old pros don't know how to match a speed controller to the right propeller without burning up all the electronics. So........first we need to let people know we are here and what we do. Then we need EVERYONE to step up and help these folks or they are subject to failure and will not continue with their new found adventure. The solution is in the pits, not in the BOD. In 46 years of experience I have seen clubs grow and decline and grow again. Not because of classes run or rule changes but because of the PEOPLE involved in the local clubs.

Ding ding ding.

We have a winner!
default_smile.png

Our Northern Lights MBC was all but dead five years ago. Some of the senior members stepped up, found new water, created new websites, and generally "fostered model boating".

We now have a very active club of 40+...
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done a web site and posted fliers at the LHS. I hold regular test and tune's at our pond and have even attended a few community events. It seems every year I pick up a few new members and then lose one or two. We need to get new folks to the pond. A couple years ago a club member recommended joining a popular hobby shop in hosting a demo day at the club pond. Sounds like a great idea only no one can run at our pond without a IMPBA membership and no one is going to spend $60 to join the IMPBA to run a RTR on a pond for five minutes. I'm also not going to put my club's pond at risk hosting such an event unless we do it by the book. I feel the IMPBA could benefit greatly from some sort of insurance waiver or rider for people interested in the hobby so they can take the wheel (under direct supervision) and see first hand what if feels like to run a boat. This will not only give potential new members a taste of what the hobby is all about, but will motivate local hobby shops to make more of an effort to support our hobby. My DD has offered to bring it up at the next BOD meeting. I would appreciate everyone's support.

When Ron Zaker gives boats to people and they don't stick you need to look at what kind of person stays with this hobby. In my mind it is a person that is committed enough to pay a membership and is also realistic knowing equipment will break and other costs will arise. Just cause a tire kicker makes a couple laps everyone thinks he will get hooked. $60 is not going to stop ones that will stay. A club can easily waive a first year membership to anyone joining IMPBA or NAMBA as an incentive, or pay a few new prospects fees for them and see how many stick.

As for an insurance waiver I am not sure you want to ask a carrier or its underwriters to set that rate. Your adding the worst possible risk in a totally inexperience entity. The best rates come from known risks and past experience without claims. It might cost us all an increase in premium. Just my 2cents.

Mic

There is an old joke about involvement and commitment. In a bacon and egg breakfast the chicken is involved, the pig however is committed. Commitment has a price.

Ding ding ding.

We have a winner!
default_smile.png

Our Northern Lights MBC was all but dead five years ago. Some of the senior members stepped up, found new water, created new websites, and generally "fostered model boating".

We now have a very active club of 40+...
default_wink.png
I see this in our club all the time, people stepping up to help others and it's a great thing to see someone leaving the pond with a smile on their face.

I'm starting to see more and more of this in our district as well, I think people are starting to realise it's better to help than to race alone.

I'm not an expert in insurance Mic so I have no idea what is possible. But it couldn't hurt taking a look at it. As far as additional risk, I'm talking letting someone take a RTR on the club pond for a few minutes under the direct supervision of a experienced IMPBA member. I'm not going to be giving the wheel to my gas rigger to a newbie. You want to talk about risk? How about a brand new member with deep pockets who signs his IMPBA application and goes out and purchases a turn key 60+mph race boat and can barely keep control of it. I've seen that on more than one occasion and it scares the crap out of me. I don't have the luxury of studying demographics to target new members. At this point I just want to try to get as many people as possible on the water. That's how I got into it. It all started with a Aquacraft Hammer RTR I purchased for my son. Five years and well over 10 grand later, I'm a club president fighting to keep my club alive.

The problem with boats is you need a club with a retrieve boat to have any fun doing it.

A R/C car you gust fire it up and run it any where any time. With plains you just find a spot and off you go.

Most don't want the bother of a organization as this to most is just a mess to deal with and the cost.

I think if the insurance witch is ALWAYS the root of the issues was to cover the pond and not the individual running the boat it would leave the cost issue of covering the pond up to the club running the pond.

this would give every club the option to deal with the cost as thy feel fit. Not a mandate for every one running a boat.

Now at a race you need to have a membership card to run the boat for sure.

I am not a insurance expert but I bet this could be cost effective and work.

Yea, right. Only have your lake insured so every swinging Joe can come and play anytime they feel like it. Just throw any kind of organization to the side. If I was the owner of the lake do you think I would buy into this? Or do you think it would look better to the lake owner to have 3 million dollars worth of LIABILITY INSURANCE on his lake along with the boaters that used his lake to belong to the same organization with said liability? Too many people trying to fix something that others have worked hard at to get right, and it isn't broke. And it always seems like it's someone who has never volunteered to be a District Director or be a club President, etc. One thing they ARE good at it showing their true colors on the computer.

Dick Tyndall

Just the answer I was expecting!

O and yes I have!!!!!!!!!

What colors are those?

Questioning the organization?

You have know idea of what I do for are club or the commitment I have to it put on one of the largest races in the WORLD!!!!!!!!!

Many have come and gone when thy did not get there way. But I am still there doing my part. Working with who every gets the rains.

Take days off of work. Spend hours at the pond to ready every thing and do what is needed no mater what it is to make it happen.

Spend 5 days from sun up to sun down at race time in the retrieve boat because no one else wants to do it. With no time to race your own boat.

I do it so other can race and have a good time no more no less.

No hidden agenda just strait talk.

That enough DRIBBLE from me!!!

Fire away I'm a big boy I can take it.

Wonder why no one want to get involved in organizations.

What about trying to get model airplane flyers started in model boats and allow their AMA insurance as long as they are just fun running at the pond, not racing in a sanctioned race. When they know they like the hobby and want to race, they can join the IMPBA or NAMBA.

11 pages and still I dont get - WHATS BROKE ????

Re-read post 139 AND the entire thread if you still wanna keep dragging this garbage out and then reply in a pm to whos cup you wish to piss in.

You guys are pathetic. Offer fixes - or shut up.

MANY MANY MANY - great posts and suggestions have been made to what I am referring to here- read em.

BTW ( nessa ) I mean Dave, spell check is your friend
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

11 pages and still I dont get - WHATS BROKE ????

Re-read post 139 AND the entire thread if you still wanna keep dragging this garbage out and then reply in a pm to whos cup you wish to piss in.

You guys are pathetic. Offer fixes - or shut up.

MANY MANY MANY - great posts and suggestions have been made to what I am referring to here- read em.

BTW ( nessa ) I mean Dave, spell check is your friend
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
Used the spell check. I guess it doesn't know how to spell ether.

The only thing it picked up was "whos" and "dont"
default_wink.png

I've done a web site and posted fliers at the LHS. I hold regular test and tune's at our pond and have even attended a few community events. It seems every year I pick up a few new members and then lose one or two. We need to get new folks to the pond. A couple years ago a club member recommended joining a popular hobby shop in hosting a demo day at the club pond. Sounds like a great idea only no one can run at our pond without a IMPBA membership and no one is going to spend $60 to join the IMPBA to run a RTR on a pond for five minutes. I'm also not going to put my club's pond at risk hosting such an event unless we do it by the book. I feel the IMPBA could benefit greatly from some sort of insurance waiver or rider for people interested in the hobby so they can take the wheel (under direct supervision) and see first hand what if feels like to run a boat. This will not only give potential new members a taste of what the hobby is all about, but will motivate local hobby shops to make more of an effort to support our hobby. My DD has offered to bring it up at the next BOD meeting. I would appreciate everyone's support.
Chilli,

Read my PM.

John

I have to backtrack here as in insurance matters I sometimes need to read the policy. Anyway talking to my son (Jay) last night I found out the IMPBA policy would not have to re-rated for a risk of short term members. The contract allows IMPBA to determine who their members are. The underwriting concern is the annual number of members. IMPBA, its members and the property owner are considered named insurdes and covered for 5 million in liability.

As for daily memberships that is up to IMPBA. It can be manipulated and clubs would need to be diligent on getting signed applications and fees turned in afterwards. After nothing happens there still needs to be follow up. Maybe a one time membership at a reduced rate or a club being able to have one day a year fun run with an open pond would prevent potential abuse. A reduced rate on a full membership would give an incentive to come back and run again.

Mic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back