Dark Horse mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Fuller

The new Dark Horse mono will be out shortly .

The Dark horse 1 will be a 8 to 12 cell mono it will be 26" long and free board to meet specs for the LSP mono class and also the offshore class for you mid western guys. The dark Horse 2 will be 12 to 18 cell 30 to 31" long. The hulls will incorperate new Ideas of down forse and control new stake design to controll the high speed that we are running at with todays battery tech and the new more powerfull motors that are now out. They will be made of epoxy class like the Dark Horse round nose. Ray

Ray doesn't get any more pics until I get the decks finished. The bottoms are done and Ray has pics of them.

You'll like them. They'll have the same fit and finish as the DH shovel. .

I'll put up one teaser pic!

Brian Buaas

Here's the bottom of the larger hull.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would but they're still in the works (glass work is curing as we speak). I'm hoping to be starting in on molds next week.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Not to toss water on the fire but if you want to sell boats to guys that race IMPBA you need to taper the strakes back, if not the 90 degree ends are considered a step. I know that sounds silly but that's the way it is and the boat could be DQed in a mono class.

Just FYI,

Paul.

Hi Paul.

As for the strakes. As I read the rules I guess they won't be legal for IMPBA, The trailing edges aren't cut at 90 degrees from the bottom, more like 80 degrees angled forward to allow them to come out of the mold better. They still create a "step" at the trailing edge. I'm willing to angle the strakes back at the trailing edge but not lose the sharp edge at the end.

The strakes on the H&M NoStep hulls end at a sharp edge but taper back after that at about 45 degrees from the hull surface. Are these hulls legal even though they have a step at the back of the strakes? I'm sure there are plenty of guys running them.

Someone send me pictures of IMPBA legal strakes, the rule book description sucks.

Paul are you coming out for the LA SAW's?

Brian Buaas

They also can not go past horizontal.(trapping air to create lift) I call it the "John Finch" rule. He had it implemented & all the long time record holding 3D hulls are now illegal in IMPBA. He made Twincraft boats back then.

Like I said, the rules aren't very clear on the matter. If the H&M NoSteps are legal then the new Dark Horse monos will be legal. As it is I'm not going to compromise the performance of the new hulls for the guys who run NAMBA events.

You IMPBA guys who run the H&M NoStep hulls, take a look at the bottom of the hull and tell me if they meet the IMPBA strake rules.

I really want to know, I was thinking of coming out to the next SAW's in Valdosta. If they aren't legal I'll leave them at home and just bring riggers and sport hydros.

What do the strakes on the Seaducer that just set the 18 cell SAW record look like?

Brian

Brian,

the strakes on the Seaducer taper back into the hull bottom far ahead of the transom...

Ron

Ron,

Thanks, got the pictures. If the strakes have to be shaped like the seaducer then the hulls will not be legal for IMPBA. If having them end at a 45 degree angle makes them legal then they will be OK. If that's not a legal strake then most of the hulls in use don't meet the rules.

That's about the end of the topic as far as making the new hulls legal. I would like an answer as to what hulls in use are actually legal under IMPBA rules.

Brian

That's about the end of the topic as far as making the new hulls legal. I would like an answer as to what hulls in use are actually legal under IMPBA rules.

Brian
Wow... sounds a little frustrating Brian... Keep up the excellent work! After seeing the plugs in person the other weekend, I have no doubt that these will be GREAT hulls! Can't WAIT!

Brian
Wow... sounds a little frustrating Brian... Keep up the excellent work! After seeing the plugs in person the other weekend, I have no doubt that these will be GREAT hulls! Can't WAIT!

Is this lack of doubt based upon many years of designing and/or racing monos? :rolleyes:

Or, is this just what the layman would term "sucking up"? :D

KW

yawl sort it out... you asked for pics, i sent them!

i have no dog in this fight...

SD3 technology powered by NeuMotors.com

B) Ron

Ron,

None of this is directed at you. Hope you didn't take it that way. Just a bit frustrating trying to work around two rule books.

Congrats on the record by the way. I've got the same motor in a Q-sport boat for oval racing. Why do people back up when I run that boat?

I'm going to try and come down to Valdosta with Ray in March.

Brian

Hi Brian,

The No-Step strakes needed to be tapered forward. I'm with you, silly rule. If yours are tapered forward a bit I'd call it good, the pics looked 90 degrees. Your right, the rule is kinda "fuzzy" on exactly how the ends should look, anything other than a 90 would seem acceptable.

Latest posts

Back