Current IMPBA and NAMBA FE Rules.......

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am happy with the the progress in D 12-13 and they do not need to change their rules. I also do not think you can tie the success of the program totally to one esc. I think the motor has more to do with it. I could easily make a case that the outboard tunnels are the biggest factor in this growth also. What I would like to see if now some compromise could even move things ahead in more areas. The other issue to me is the future price and availiabilty. The concept of of limited or spec to me is level competition and entry cost and availiability. The most successful limited/spec/sport/stock class so far is in 21 OB tunnels. And it didn't cross over to hydros,monos,sport hydro and on. FE is building its new foundation on a group of classes and the blocks are tied to one motor and possible esc combo. If you spend any time on OSE forum you see the sport runnning marketplace demanding more power and people just throwing 6S batteries into RTR boats. The manufacturers are going to respond to that monitary base and make changes. Then what do you just rubber stamp in the next newer better ESC or allow an open market choice.

The other thing I see is if you over build the limited classes your never going to get to P,Q and so on. Just for an example we get a race to expand P/limited tunnel and host a "P" tunnel class also. With a simple powerhead change he could now take one boat and be competative in both classes rather than stepping up with his inferior motor. Changing out a whole esc that is waterproofed in a good box is not practical and maybe a disaster so the esc limit hinders the first step in power growth here. He can take the same batteries,boat and harware and move up. Or just a guy with a limited rigger. If he could try a step up in motor in his present boat would he not be more likely to enter it in the full P class? I am not saying this will be the equal to a full P rigger but it will give people a chance to compete and build some other classes. I know this scares some more than anything as they think it will tear down everything done so far. In areas where you struggle to make classes and need step ups to exist you understand this. The larger established districs can afford to play hardball as they have too many classes already. I started in D-6 where we had a few core racers and maybe 40-50 boats at a big race. We had to be flexible to exist and if you would travel to our area we would make sure you could run. I am happy to say 25 years later that club has a new core group and still racing succesfully with not a lot of classes so my outlook comes from a different reality. With a step up son took a sport 21 tunnel with an OS max motor to the Internats 3 years ago and with a 2 bolt pipe change won a US-1 in the mod class. Two days later with the stock pipe he won the sport national championship with the same setup. Now I am not saying that stock OS with a pipe was faster than all the mod 21's but it had a chance with a pipe change and could be driven to win.

When I work within the tunnel guys to get them to buy and build FE boats it would sure be an easier sell if they had some equipment options to make easy changes as that is just the nature of the people who do this. Even in the fun runners want more power.

So if D-12/13 had just adopted a motor limitation that mirrored Namba and open esc would that really killed their present success? And conversly would the rest of the country be further ahead limiting both? I do comply to travel and in the scope of cost compared to fuel and motels that cost $500 to $1000 for an Internats is not an issue. But the newer racer that is just crossing a couple state lines and has a limited budget may not feel the same way. There are some good racers out there and I hate to see them not compete over economics which is what creating a spec class is al about.

Congrats on winning at SOWEGA,

Mic

A real full P tunnel is going to be hard to heat race at the NAMBA maximum length. It's about right for P spec, though. The success of the P spec class has pretty much replaced interest in heat racing the unlimited classes at my club.

Lohring Miller

A real full P tunnel is going to be hard to heat race at the NAMBA maximum length. It's about right for P spec, though. The success of the P spec class has pretty much replaced interest in heat racing the unlimited classes at my club.

Lohring Miller
I am going to totally disagree here as the rule allows a 34 inch hull. The P motors we have run here are on Carls boats and a Lynx at 29" will handle a 1515 Nue but will not be a great finisher. The 31" Shaman does well with a 1515 and we heat raced one in open tunnel at Charleston with a 1520 Castle as a Q and it handled as well as any nitro tunnel there. When it got really rough the gas tunnels did prevail. My own HTV at 32" which is a .45 nitro works better as a Q than a P and I have done a SAW with it on 8S. Hopper still makes the 340. Yes the Lee at 35" is out but trimming one inch off an already exadgerated pickle would not affect performance. And with a demand out there for LeeCraft to make a 34" version would not take a major design change. The N record here is a 2" shortened Lynx. At the end of the day you could just start an open FE tunnel class as the equipment I have seen at least on this coast would allow a fair P-Q mix. Your not going to run and handle well with a 1527 - 5692 - or 1717 size motor on a tunnel. Like gas the weight makes handling difficult. I really feel P is a better option on a tunnel as the lesser hp will allow boats to finish easier. Q power is a lot more than the mod.45's were used to. That and P shares batteries and in Namba esc's with specs in some cases. A t-180 or Swordy 200 are under $100.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
We've run the shortened Leecraft as a Q spec tunnel. It's a little overpowered but is very fast. I think it's a little big for a P spec boat. The Top Speeds at 30" seem about right for P spec, but I'm sure other similar boats would run well.

Lohring Miller

We've run the shortened Leecraft as a Q spec tunnel. It's a little overpowered but is very fast. I think it's a little big for a P spec boat. The Top Speeds at 30" seem about right for P spec, but I'm sure other similar boats would run well.

Lohring Miller

The LeeCraft is perfect for a Full P...... ;) I agree it is too big for a P Spec and too small for a Q.

There are some good racers out there and I hate to see them not compete over economics which is what creating a spec class is al about.

Congrats on winning at SOWEGA,

Mic
I guess you were talking about me winning in SOWEGA since I won tunnel so Thanks :)

I'm not going to comment anymore on the ESC issue. I think this will sort itself out eventually. For me I just went with what was the norm for where I choose to race and after considering the cost difference ( about $30.00) between a T-120 and an AQ, for me it's not so big. I spent more than that in SOWEGA for stakes and straps to hold my tent down in the crazy winds. LOL

As far as big motors on O/B tunnels I agree that the extra weight causes handling problems. Jason Sims had this problem when he put a 1515 on my old 26" P-Limited boat for the N-O/B Tunnel SAW record and he wasn't even trying to turn corners with it. The boat handled great with a UL-1 motor but despite his best efforts, it did all kinds of stupid stuff with the big Neu hanging off the back. He went with a smaller, higher Kv 14 series (36mm) Neu and things got much better.

I think you could make a smaller, lower Kv 15XX series or equivalent, motor work for a Q-O/B Tunnel at least for the smaller hulls. If your running the full 40" you probably could and may even need to run a bigger motor. It will be interesting to see what guys come up with as I think there is quite a bit of interest in these kind of boats. Open tunnel should be a hoot at the Tunnel Champs this year.

Chris

Electric tunnels have a big advantage over nitro tunnels in that most of the weight is concentrated at the center by the battery. Most racers needed to add quite a bit of lead to the sponson tips in the Leecraft XT-460. We just extended the battery box onto the cabin area and moved the batteries forward in the electric version. Though the electric boats are heavier, this weight concentration lowers the moment of inertia and reduces pitching. With the right setup, the boat gets over the hump and floats on the tunnel's air.

Lohring Miller

What ESC are most of you running in your Full P? I have a 200 and 240amp controller. I would like to keep the 240 as a spare for my Q or P, and run the 200. I'm just not sure if this will be enough. Any thoughts?......

Ron,

I guess it might be better to run the larger amp esc as a "P" as the potential for more amp draw is there. The 200 Swordfish works well as a "P". That said Jays P boat has a 240lv Castle and our Q boats use a T-180 and Swordfish 200. I also have a 16S-Fightercat 300a that I am able to use for an "Q-S" setup but mainly a SAW boat.

Mic

Ron,

I guess it might be better to run the larger amp esc as a "P" as the potential for more amp draw is there. The 200 Swordfish works well as a "P". That said Jays P boat has a 240lv Castle and our Q boats use a T-180 and Swordfish 200. I also have a 16S-Fightercat 300a that I am able to use for an "Q-S" setup but mainly a SAW boat.

Mic
Thanks Mic. I'm thinking the 200amp will work for mine as well. That will give me a spare ESC that will work for my P or Q. Dick ran a 200 amp(corrected) in his P and it was fine.

Are you and Jay ready for the WTC? We are scrambling to finish everything. Should be a fun time for sure.

(corrected......thanks Dick)

Dick did not run a 180 he ran a 200 but will run 240 LV. Dick runs a 180 in his 2000 KV P Mono. Thanks Dick

We run 100 to 120 amp speed controls in P spec. The Q "spec" systems run a Turnigy 180, a big but rugged speed control. I love the new Castle ICE controllers. The data logging is very helpful and they seem to have good overcurrent protection. I've seen 300 amps on the data logger of an ICE 200 and the ESC still works. The motor was toast, though. The problem where you don't limit current in some way (spec components) is that it becomes an expensive equipment race. I bet a Q hydro with lipos can beat Joerg's 140 mph record today. Do we really want to run 20 hp boats?

Lohring Miller

We run 100 to 120 amp speed controls in P spec. The Q "spec" systems run a Turnigy 180, a big but rugged speed control. I love the new Castle ICE controllers. The data logging is very helpful and they seem to have good overcurrent protection. I've seen 300 amps on the data logger of an ICE 200 and the ESC still works. The motor was toast, though. The problem where you don't limit current in some way (spec components) is that it becomes an expensive equipment race. I bet a Q hydro with lipos can beat Joerg's 140 mph record today. Do we really want to run 20 hp boats?

Lohring Miller
I think that you are missing the point. I’ve come to understand that “tunnel heads” are a different breed. They are not really interested in running sport hydros, riggers, or monos, hence why they are pushing for P and Q tunnel classes. P-Ltd only gives them one FE tunnel class. They want more than one FE tunnel class. The only way to do this is to build P and Q tunnels in addition to P-Ltd tunnels. I suppose that they could go N as well.

Though it is true tunnelheads want more classes than just spec/Lmtd, you also have to consider that tunnels are a very natural repower as for most it is just a 4 bolt switch and a new radio box. Not as easy for a hydro or mono. That said we also need to look at too many spec classes. The natural progeression for more power will be there no matter what boat you want to build. Hence P&Q. Nitro basically has one stock/sport class of power OB tunnel and it is still doing well natiponally. If you tried to add multple spec nitro hydro, mono, sport hydro, cat and whatever crackerskiff etc you break down into too many classes and too many arguments on what the rules should be. IMPBA sport tunnel has its controversy but lives on with a group more dedicated to the hull than the power. It comes down to if FE is going to fit in at existing larger established events which means only a few classes or the standalone FE event which is happening but very few and far between. We have broken the ice here in Florida and it has been with more than just tunnels.

District 12 is trying to co mingle FE and Nitro and I like what they are proposing. I see a couple things I don't agree with but that is always going to happen. Point is they are moving forward and hopefully will address any discrepancies as they come down the line. NASCAR adjusts constantly and the product just gets better. In time the numbers may change and what we race now might become the minority.

Getting a club to add an FE class that can add 6-12 boats is easy. Put on a class and 2-3 show up and you won't be on the list again. The existing open classes are also a great entry point for FE. If you come in with a S or T boat and show potential IC converts the big end of expenses very few will be interested. Our P&Q tunnels can compete in open tunnel. Would a P or Q work in open mono or hydro? If you did well with a $400 - $600 motor esc combo you won't scare off people who spend more than that on nitro grenades on a regular basis. There are probably enough spec/limited tunnels to ask for a slot in a race like Hobart. They run open tunnel, open mono and an unlimited class that an FE can enter. You don't need to blow them away and go up in flames rather compete well with something a nitro guy can see as a viable alternative.

Mic

as far as d-12 is concerned what would be the rules governing the type of motor and setup would be legal to race the nitro guys with my ss45?

In D-12 we are looking for similar racing speeds in all F/E combo classes so the electric guys prop down to even the playing field. Its all about good heat racing fun not all out speed .

as far as d-12 is concerned what would be the rules governing the type of motor and setup would be legal to race the nitro guys with my ss45?
This year we're going to run Sport 40 and Q Sport Hydro together for the first time. The SS45 would be perfect for that application. No special rules for D12 in this class. Build a IMPBA legal Q Sport Hydro. Prop it to be competitive with the Sport 40's and thats it. The current IMPBA FE rules are on the IMPBA Web Site in the FE section of the forum. The current D12 Nitro/FE combined rules are in the D12 section.

Dick is right on. In D12 we're trying to get as many people racing as possible.Dick and many other D12 racers save the war paint for record trials, national and the WTC.Not that we don't race hard at district races.... :)

This year we're going to run Sport 40 and Q Sport Hydro together for the first time. The SS45 would be perfect for that application. No special rules for D12 in this class. Build a IMPBA legal Q Sport Hydro. Prop it to be competitive with the Sport 40's and thats it. The current IMPBA FE rules are on the IMPBA Web Site in the FE section of the forum. The current D12 Nitro/FE combined rules are in the D12 section.

Dick is right on. In D12 we're trying to get as many people racing as possible.Dick and many other D12 racers save the war paint for record trials, national and the WTC.Not that we don't race hard at district races.... :)
What will we need to bring to race against the sport 20's?

At this time you will have to race in the B/P Limited Hydro class. Please see the entry form for the Dist. 12 Centreville race for 8-10th June 2012.

We do not have Sport 20 in Dist. 12 at this time. Possibly in the future.

Also check OSE and I believe else where here on Inlt waters for the Dist 12 FE rules and such. :)

We do have a few sport hydros that ran in B/P-Lim Hydro last season and a few more are planing to run them this year. I run an Insane FE30 with the UL1 set up. Obviously the riggers are faster but I think the Sport Hydros are going to gain popularity this season.

Back