Current IMPBA and NAMBA FE Rules.......

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonShaw

Vendor
Can someone post the current IMPBA and NAMBA FE Rules on this Thread? I know Kevin has been putting countless hours into totally updating the Rule Book on the IMPBA website, but in the meantime, it would be awesome to have them posted and pinned at the top of this FE Forum for easy reference. I'm not sure if the NAMBA site is totally updated for the FE Classes or not so posting those rules as well will help. Doug Smock, I am sure you can help with this. Thank's................ :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron,

The current IMPBA FE rules are on the IMPBA web site. Go into the forum and look in the FE section. The D12 FE rules are in the D12 section.

Email me or PM Doug if you have any questions or need clarification.

[email protected]

I attached the national FE rules below.

Current_FE_rules-20110619.pdf

Attachments

• Current_FE_rules-20110619.pdf
    168.3 KB · Views: 20
Ok. I was simply looking at the online IMPBA Rule Book and it didn't take long to notice it still is not updated. Kevin is working to get it done as this is where all of the rules need to be posted. I would have never known to look at the forum. Thanks Chilli!!!!..... ;)

I think poor Kevin is doing five or six years worth of rule changes trying to update the book. I appreciate his hard work!!!

I think poor Kevin is doing five or six years worth of rule changes trying to update the book. I appreciate his hard work!!!
Yes. It must have been filled with a lot of outdated information such as the rule book. We all appreciate Kevin's hard work for sure trying to get the entire website totally updated......... ;)

Sorry about not mentioning Chris our new IMPBA FE director. I didn't know what his screen name was on this site.

So is IMPBA D13 the only ones who require everyone to buy proboat or aquacraft esc's for the p-limited/spec classes? Since there is no mention of the p-limited/spec classes in the IMPBA rules, I assume it is just a district rule?

D12 does also. And you are correct. There is no national IMPBA Spec/Liminted class.

I think they need to add it. I am new to FE but it seems the Limited class is the fastest growing. I remember when their was no sport tunnel class either and now that is more popular than B tunnel in IMPBA.

Just my two cents

Bill

One of the reasons that some of us FE promoters have decided to hold off on pursuing a new FE class in IMPBA is because we already have quite a few FE classes on the books now. In addition, many IMPBA districts have tailored the P-Limited classes specifically to meet the needs and desires of those in their districts. For example, D12 and D13 find that limiting the ESC in addition to the motor work best for the clubs in their districts. D4, D6, and some clubs in D2 have chosen to only limit the motors. Seeing that FE race participation is still in its infancy, some of us have decided to take a “wait and see” approach.

Another issue that arises with the creation of an official P-Limited class in IMPBA is how to spec the equipment. The equipment for checking to see if motors and ESCs fit the technical requirements for the P-Limited class is hard to come by and may be cost prohibitive for many hosting clubs.

One of the reasons that some of us FE promoters have decided to hold off on pursuing a new FE class in IMPBA is because we already have quite a few FE classes on the books now. In addition, many IMPBA districts have tailored the P-Limited classes specifically to meet the needs and desires of those in their districts. For example, D12 and D13 find that limiting the ESC in addition to the motor work best for the clubs in their districts. D4, D6, and some clubs in D2 have chosen to only limit the motors. Seeing that FE race participation is still in its infancy, some of us have decided to take a “wait and see” approach.

Another issue that arises with the creation of an official P-Limited class in IMPBA is how to spec the equipment. The equipment for checking to see if motors and ESCs fit the technical requirements for the P-Limited class is hard to come by and may be cost prohibitive for many hosting clubs.
Sean,

I am new to this FE arena, but I am being told that is EXACTLY why including specific motors and ESC's works so well for P-Limited FE Classes in some of the Districts. It keeps inspections down to simply looking for specific manufacturers and models. To Jeff Obrien's point above, if the ESC he likes is less expensive and just as good, then he should submit a change to add this one to the roster.

Ron, The ESC debate is a little more complicated than cheating, inspections and price. But without starting a ESC war on this thread, the only thing I can figure out is there must be a fundamental difference in the purpose of the P-Limited Class between those that want to run Open ESC's and those that don't. There has been allot more discussion on it on the FE boards. We'll talk about it at the Greensboro Race. :)

Sean,

I am new to this FE arena, but I am being told that is EXACTLY why including specific motors and ESC's works so well for P-Limited FE Classes in some of the Districts. It keeps inspections down to simply looking for specific manufacturers and models. To Jeff Obrien's point above, if the ESC he likes is less expensive and just as good, then he should submit a change to add this one to the roster.
I understand your point, but it is a little more complicated than that, especially where SAW records are concerned. How do you spec a “limited” motor and/or ESC? There are varying thoughts on this, but no clear “best practices” have been established. Looking at the brand name is not always sufficient. There are things that can be done to these limited motors and ESCs to make them appear “stock” when they have in fact been modified ever so slightly to gain some advantage. Examples may include; replacing stock motor bearings with higher quality units, turning the rotors down slightly on a lathe, re-balancing the rotor to make them more balanced than they came from the manufacturer, etc.

I’m not suggesting that people would do this, but where SAW records are concerned, some may protest another racer for this reason or that. In the event that a protest arises, some method would need to be in place to verify that the “limited” equipment is in accordance with the rules. This is not a problem for the current IMPBA FE classes as they only limit voltage and hull dimensions. If you add a class that limits the motor and/or ESCs, then you need to be able to verify that which has been limited.

Ideally the P-Ltd classes will continue to grow without the need for them to be “official” classes. These limited classes serve as a good entry point for racers to move into other FE classes such as P and Q. Hopefully in the near future we will see a resurgence of the P and Q classes, and spec’ing the equipment for these classes will not be an issue because the motor and ESCs are not limited.

Ron, The ESC debate is a little more complicated than cheating, inspections and price. But without starting a ESC war on this thread, the only thing I can figure out is there must be a fundamental difference in the purpose of the P-Limited Class between those that want to run Open ESC's and those that don't. There has been allot more discussion on it on the FE boards. We'll talk about it at the Greensboro Race. :)
Chilli,

Those are good points for sure. I can't wait to hear your comments on this and other FE concerns. See you in Greensboro. Thanks.

...the only thing I can figure out is there must be a fundamental difference in the purpose of the P-Limited Class between those that want to run Open ESC's and those that don't....
I agree, and I think most know by now that there are really 2 schools of thought. Neither is 100% right or wrong as situations are different from one geographical area to the next, and both get (or deserve) respect.

As I see it, the direction we took in NAMBA really focused on the desire of most of the FE racers, while the decisions made within some IMPBA clubs to spec an ESC stem from the desire to simplify FE for those wanting to cross over or for new racers to help make FE less intimidating and more reliable.

Bottom line, no matter what you're using for an ESC, P-Ltd racing is fun, tight and inexpensive (relatively speaking!) and as much as I'd like to see P/Q/T grow, P-Ltd is where racers are flocking to. And it keeps getting better each year.

I would like to see IMPBA rules read that only specific ESC's be used. With that being said I think the AQ,PB and one or two others should be used as we all want some choices.

TL

I like that approach as well Tim. Maybe a few of us should propose that to the new FE Director and see what we would need to do to make the P-Spec class and approved devices official for the IMPBA, and not just District rules.

Back