cowl magnets

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Skutle

Has anyone been using magnets for holding down cowls; specifically, sport 40 size cowls?

What are you using and what size are they? I would think disc shape would be the way to go...

Seems like there are many choices out there, what's working for you? Source?

Any concerns with the finish, does one work better than another in terms of corrosion resistance?

Thanks much!

Jay

Sure they work pretty well. This place has a good selectionMagnets

Neodymium ones that are disk shaped and nickle coated (or some other coating) work pretty well. If you put magnet to magnet (not magnet to sheet metal) there can be some rather strong forces to pull them apart! I have used ones about 3/8" to maybe 1/2" round and a bit over 1/16" thick, these have about 6lb pull! One down side is it is kind of painful to get these lined up and touching to get the cowl aligned perfect. Epoxy or CA them in place, should not need to paint or seal them if they are coated. I did try some square magnets, did not like them at all, the corners would pinch you fingers or they could be chipped pretty easy. I have used ones that have a countersunk hole in the center for a #2 wood screw also. Hope this helps!

Paul

I have found that if you use a pair of magnets instead of magnet to steel, it will self align.

I bought some at Lee Valley. Recently I noticed that Walmart carries these rare earth magnets. I remember seeing some 1/2" and 3/8" ones. Look in the craft section.

Back