clear coat question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Hutchinson

Iim working on a jae outboard hydro and ive got to the point of making a mirror finish in wood grain . i have sealed the entire boat with finishing resin. what can i use to make a great finish that our fuel wont damage ?? can i use a urethane clear coat ??? any thoughts or comments would be helpful

either one, dan. if you did a clean/smooth job of the finishing resin, & have enough thickness to do so, you can sand & polish to a mirror finish. or, just sand it for adhesion & clear coat it. on my riggers, i use lacquer based sanding sealer & clear for weight savings, can be a few ounces, or more........the only part i seal with epoxy is the engine & fuel tank area on ib's, none on the ob's.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks robin i found this stuff at my local auto paint shop and i thought it was cool ( spray max 2k clear coat ) it comes in a spray can with a special cap that you take off and put it on the bottom and push into it which releases the hardner and then shake well 2 day shelf life after mixing if you could look up this and tell me what you think !!

Sorry Dan I have no idea I just posted the link for ya!! I'm in the learning stages myself and need a ton of help!!! The only benefit I have is at work we have a paint booth big enough to paint a semi truck:)

dan, it is a 2 part polyurethane clear coat, basically the same as 2 part clear for cars. doesn't flow out/lay down quite as good as a spray gun. mike/chilli used it on his jae. looked good, just not mirror gloss. always can wet sand & polish. it is tough & fuel proof, just not as smooth & glossy as from a spray gun.

Make sure whatever clear you use to wet sand and polish. This releases the gases that are in the bottom of the clear to help it cure and hardens it so it is a lot tougher. Also no wax for a month on any automotive paints.

if you want you can use the engine paint Dupli Color and it want be hurt by your fuel and it is easy as pie to spray. I use the Dupli Color Engine paint on all my boats and have never had a problem with gas.

Good Luck;

Well there would only be one way to find out, I did a lots of testing to find a spray paint that would truly withstand the gas spills directly on the surface and just wipe it off. So maybe there is somebody out there with some nitro and a need for some paint work that will give it a try then we will all have a easy way to paint. It must the the high temp engine paint by Dupli Color, good selection of colors to pick from.

The spraymax 2k clearcoat works very well, I've used it many times and nitro doesn't touch it, you have 24 hours after mixing to use the can.

Last edited by a moderator:
What grit paper and what polish do you recommend
Start with 1500 then go to 2000. Careful near the edges because this is where the finsh is the thinnest. Then use 3000 grit micro finish polish with some elbow grease.
Where do you find the 3000 micro finish polish? I just finished clearing repairs on my scale with Omni 161 urethane and need to get to that final finish. (used 2000 wet).

If you put the 2K can in the refridge after you mix it that will extend the time to several days if not 2 weeks until the can is bad. (Once mixed you have 48 hrs at room temp to use it or loose it.) Be careful breathing any of its fumes also, it is pretty bad for the lungs.

What grit paper and what polish do you recommend
Start with 1500 then go to 2000. Careful near the edges because this is where the finsh is the thinnest. Then use 3000 grit micro finish polish with some elbow grease.
Where do you find the 3000 micro finish polish? I just finished clearing repairs on my scale with Omni 161 urethane and need to get to that final finish. (used 2000 wet).
Im not sure but I would try any automotive paint store. We use 3M Finesse it II. It works good for our application.

maguires m205 works good also.. i know i have used it on my car before.. the key with polish.. is the pad .. get a mild aggressive pad.

Latest posts

Back