Krylon color maxx spray paints !

Help Support intlwaters.com:

RobertDoak

Supporting Member
Hello guys....well the Krylon paint gods must be on my side....i did another Krylon spray job on a tunnel boat and it came out nice....this color is Sunbeam yellow with gloss white and gloss black...and I added the Krylon glitter blast silver and gold over the white body....let it sit for several days then used the Spraymax 2k clear...the windshield and black on the hull are vinyl with the clear over everything...

Attachments

Wasted wages

I would think it is going to have to be clear coated.. especially if you are going to use 50-65% nitro.
But I'm old school.... last boat I sprayed with krylon, I sprayed PPG clear over it. It turned out beautiful, but again, talking 15 years ago...

RobertDoak

Supporting Member
I know Krylon is gasoline proof...but the nitro is a little different....as a precaution I would do a clear.....2 part clear....spraymax 2k works great..and PPG shopline is very nice... .i have found that one can of spraymax 2k is not enough for a 30" tunnel..oh...and pics are highly recommended....i enjoy seeing other boaters spray projects.

Davidkrienke

I was able to get it primed yesterday and the Krylon white sprayed today. Now its a waiting game to let paint cure a couple days,

Attachments

Last edited:

Davidkrienke

I put the blue on today. there was a couple spots the tape pulled the paint away at the edge and had to brush touch up . Next is the yellow. crazy paint scheme to layout over the radio box area . the lines change as it goes up and down the sides and had to use string to find my lines.

Attachments

RobertDoak

Supporting Member
Looking great sofar...👍I cant wait to see this boat in the water...

Last edited:

Davidkrienke

Looking great sofar...👍I cant wait to see this boat in the water...
I am ready for the yellow. I had a bad time removing the tape last time. I waited until tacky and it pulled half the lines around outside of boat and strung the stipes like breaking little rubber bands . How long should i wait until the tape removal. instantly after painting works but so little time to unwrap it all.. what is your best method?Last pic is what i had to do with a brush to fix it best I could.

Attachments

Last edited:

RobertDoak

Supporting Member
Tape removal is usually done sooner the better...waiting too long the tape becomes one with the paint and a razor blade will be needed to score the tape to prevent the tape from pulling the painted area up....these are lessons learned the hard way....but always remove the tape away from the painted surface at a shallow angle...your boat is looking awesome in the pics...👍

Davidkrienke

Painted the Yellow and untaping it fast was the key to good lines. next will be the black pinstripes on each side of the white then clear. I dropped the boat untaping it and had to touch up a couple places about fainted but I think I saved it .Maybe when I lightly wet sand it I can feather the touchups.ughhhh

Attachments

Davidkrienke

The black pinstripes made it I think. I wet sanded with 800 to smooth paint out hope the ppg clear doesnt mess up. I appreciate the tips on this paint. Next one will be easier with what I have learned.

Attachments

Last edited:

RobertDoak

Supporting Member
Give everything a good chance to dry...even PPG or Spraymax 2k clears can make the painted surface wrinkle....so have patience.
Oh...and yes...the black stripes gives the boat definition....looks great...well done..

DeanJohnson

Here's an example of the shine you can achieve with Krylon and 2K clear. The clear laid down oddly this go around and the finish honestly sucked... first time I've had it not spray nice and flat; however, with some elbow grease with wet sand paper for about 4 hours and a buffer with some polishing compound, it came our quite shiny.

Attachments

Latest posts