Charleston stock/outlaw 40 tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mic.. good question.. ...hahaha.. we need to have a chat about that muffler some time......

Grim

This is for James and the rules committee.
Can we use an comercially availiable can type muffler like this in the class? Probably a little cheaper than most anyway.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXMMV7&P=0

Mic
Mic

If I read it right, entry form says no tuned pipe, anything else goes !! That would allow for a lot of creativity within the part. The only way to police it would be to run Go-Nogo on outlet(s) or require use of a specific part allowed as the unit I.E. a KB can muffler. Can on mine is BOX STOCK KB and will pass Go-Nogo of exits. There are some cool cans out there from the OS Surpass motors as well as others that could be adapted. We would still have many options, and creating a class like this would be killer to have.

Randy

Randy,

Tuned pipe or tuned muffler? Some copter pipes use "tuned" in the description.

I never looked at the surpass before but they are also cheap and could be coupled to existing headers easily. Not sure if this all doesn't become "restictor plate racing" at some point. To limit outlet size on a varity of mufflers would be redundant. Opening or shimming down outlets leaves creativity open and can be done by anyone with a simple drill. That said if you make the K&B can the only option you may as well just mandate all K&B's. We know the CMB's and Nelsons have more potential to offer and we all want to find some edge here. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to be all K&B either. Gabe set the mark and we'll adapt some "mufflers". Maybe anything goes under 70db at 50 ft. Green restrictor racing.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy,Tuned pipe or tuned muffler? Some copter pipes use "tuned" in the description.

I never looked at the surpass before but they are also cheap and could be coupled to existing headers easily. Not sure if this all doesn't become "restictor plate racing" at some point. To limit outlet size on a varity of mufflers would be redundant. Opening or shimming down outlets leave creativity open and can be done by anyone with a simple drill. That said if you make the K&B can the only option you may as well just mandate all K&B's. We know the CMB's and Nelsons have more potential to offer and we all want to find some edge here. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to be all K&B either. Gabe set the mark and we'll adapt some "mufflers". Maybe anything goes under 70db at 50 ft. Green restrictor racing.

Mic
The single can rule would be the only option to use. Sport D is wide open unless we just drop all ideas and revert back to good ol KB part # motors, If you follow the "production" rule then the only other option is going twin .21s, which are fun to watch. I remember Talleys twin OS XM at '05 Champs, it is neat to hear 2 engines start to 2 stage together.

Back a few years ago when I was making Mufflers for the cracker boxes I was told by the IMPBA that if it had a taper in it it was a tuned pipe. The muffler that i was doing had a taper on the inlet and outlet. Now If the race cd deams it legal than it should be

Gang,

The entry flyer states "no tunes pipes, anything else goes!". Any engine can be used as we did not want it to be limited to only K&B engines due to their limitations, especially quantity. I would also think that any exhaust system that does not qualify for a traditional tuned pipe, and we all know what that means and are, should be fine. Creativity and innovation is a foundation of our hobby and we should encourge it.

However, now for the disclaimer - Gabe is the new IMPBA OB Chairman and knows gobs more than I do about the OB gear so I will defer final decision to him. But I was in on the planning of this race and class from it's outset and know well of what we discussed and intended on this and the other classes. We have go/no go gauges for the Sport B (20) class, for the carbs and exhaust outlets, and we will use them as we did at last year's race. No gauges exist for the Sport D (40) at the present moment.

Let's see what Gabe says.

John

A muffler is a muffler in less the pipe inside is 1/4 waved then it's a tune pipe.

Dave Roach

Daves got the right heart... but let me ask are you sure? My expeanace with this says that migth not be true.

I question this " pipe inside "

The " muffler " on the link that Mic posted does not have a internal pipe, baffle or ANYTHING.... but i asure you its not " Just " a muffler..

O yea!.. this is fun..

I may only have half my vision but I can see very clearly this turning into B fest...lets go easy...

Grim

Grim

I got it for the master him self Uncle Jim Irwin.If a muffle has a pipe inside and if it 1/4 waved it's a tune pipe.I'am easy.

Dave Roach

It has worked in the past for us. Mic, like we have talked about before, no tapers will be allowed. Obviously the muffler you posted has more expansion area than some (6 inches in length), and the ends seems to have nice longish round caps.... its designated as a muffler, and will be allowed. There are no 'go-nogo' gauges for this class. Do some 'mufflers' work better than other 'mufflers'? Absolutely.

The point of this class is to encourage out of the box thinking, while having VERY few limitations and to get MORE boats on the pond. We hope that continues, since this class has really taken off well since its inception those 4-5 years ago. We have seen some truly unique boats in the class.

~Gabe

This is for James and the rules committee.
Can we use an comercially availiable can type muffler like this in the class? Probably a little cheaper than most anyway.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXMMV7&P=0

Mic
This should be a stock class or another mod 2 class,there are plenty of stock engines out there for 250.00 or less,or full mod CMB ,NELSON,etc LAWLESS,mod K&B,ORwhat ever someone can dream up,for a mere 1000.00 or less,with some super can muffler hanging off of it.HUMMMMMMMMMM SPORT or STOCK D TUNNEL where is the word MOD . I will be running a STOCK REDHEAD at the WORLDS and its pretty fast. Just my .03$ worth. Thanks Dick Loeb

It has worked in the past for us. Mic, like we have talked about before, no tapers will be allowed. Obviously the muffler you posted has more expansion area than some (6 inches in length), and the ends seems to have nice longish round caps.... its designated as a muffler, and will be allowed. There are no 'go-nogo' gauges for this class. Do some 'mufflers' work better than other 'mufflers'? Absolutely.

The point of this class is to encourage out of the box thinking, while having VERY few limitations and to get MORE boats on the pond. We hope that continues, since this class has really taken off well since its inception those 4-5 years ago. We have seen some truly unique boats in the class.

~Gabe

[/quote

Thanks Gabe,

Just wanted some clarification before we show up with something controversial. I do have that exact muffler and the adapter to mount it sideways is a slam dunk. Maybe Mike will share some "AquaMagic" with all us. I think thats replacing the old "fairy dust" part # 102 in the catalog. I guess a $15 pipe should not put any fear out there????? Looks like the smack is starting to heat up

Mic

This should be a stock class or another mod 2 class,there are plenty of stock engines out there for 250.00 or less,or full mod CMB ,NELSON,etc LAWLESS,mod K&B,ORwhat ever someone can dream up,for a mere 1000.00 or less,with some super can muffler hanging off of it.HUMMMMMMMMMM SPORT or STOCK D TUNNEL where is the word MOD . I will be running a STOCK REDHEAD at the WORLDS and its pretty fast. Just my .03$ worth. Thanks Dick Loeb
Dick, unfortunately it is not as easy as you think. And, there are certainly NOT "plenty of stock engines out there". K&B hasnt produced a full ready to run 7.5 outboard in almost 2 years. What else is there? K&B is [was] THE only complete 7.5cc outboard engine as is from the manufacturer.

Two stroke engines do not run as good without a tuned pipe as they do with a tuned pipe. Its not my opinion, its a fact. This is why we say no tuned pipes for the sport D class, think of it as restricter plate racing. You asked where is the word MOD? its not there, nor is the word STOCK.

This is not a STOCK class. IMPBA does not have a STOCK tunnel class, and never has. It is called Sport D tunnel, because that is what we (CMB members) decided it would be called.

If you look at the past results at this race, you will see that the old K&B's (redhead, water cooled, etc) have done quite well. Not the $1000.00 engines you speak of. Bring your stock K&B redhead, I guarantee it will not be the only stock engine in this class, and you should do well.

Thanks Gabe,I guess a $15 pipe should not put any fear out there?????

Mic
Mic, you mean $15 muffler right?

~James

James,

Correct it is a muffler. Maybe in Amsterdam it would look to be a pipe. So thats what Mike was thinking when he said its more than a muffler. Gotta hand it to being creative at Aquacraft. Should we be looking for more than the usual moonshine at the race this year.

Mic

I havent heard any news on the moonshine this year, or the Bermuda Rum. :(

~James :)

James,Correct it is a muffler. Maybe in Amsterdam it would look to be a pipe. So thats what Mike was thinking when he said its more than a muffler. Gotta hand it to being creative at Aquacraft. Should we be looking for more than the usual moonshine at the race this year.

Mic
Hey guys,

Last year in S.C., I ran my "D Sport O/B" only one round because of the weather. I had a K&B 8701(the first and oldest K&B 7.5cc O/B engine) with factory exhaust lower unit outlets. I was on bouy 5 when everyone crossed the line. Within 2 laps I passed every body and beat myself as I blew off passing a laped boat.

I would like to see this class come back as strong as it used to be when the engines were more available. This is the perfect beginner class for O/B tunnel.

Since there are no rules for Sport D O/B Tunnel, maybe Gabe should think about what he might be faced with come race day if he leaves the door wide open concerning the "No Tuned pipe anything else goes" rule. In my opinion, that is going to trouble.

-Carl,

I guess a $15 pipe should not put any fear out there????? Looks like the smack is starting to heat up

Its not the $15 pipe I worry about. Its your hired assassin, and the Nelson the pipe is mounted to..... :D

Sincerely,

UNABOATER

Since there are no rules for Sport D O/B Tunnel, maybe Gabe should think about what he might be faced with come race day if he leaves the door wide open concerning the "No Tuned pipe anything else goes" rule. In my opinion, that is going to trouble.
-Carl,
Carl, can you elaborate? I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying the way it is now is good, or are you saying it will be trouble continuing this way?

This is the same way we have run it for 5 years now, im not sure I see what the trouble is? (if I read your reply the correct way) Are you talking from an IMPBA perspective?

Shane, 80 for me. I like to wake up in the morning.... :D

~Gabe

Back