Charleston stock/outlaw 40 tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since there are no rules for Sport D O/B Tunnel, maybe Gabe should think about what he might be faced with come race day if he leaves the door wide open concerning the "No Tuned pipe anything else goes" rule. In my opinion, that is going to trouble.
-Carl,
Carl, can you elaborate? I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying the way it is now is good, or are you saying it will be trouble continuing this way?

This is the same way we have run it for 5 years now, im not sure I see what the trouble is? (if I read your reply the correct way) Are you talking from an IMPBA perspective?

Shane, 80 for me. I like to wake up in the morning.... :D

~Gabe
Gabe,

This is only a suggestion:

The "What really is a tunned pipe and what is not" question is going to pop up when somebody comes to your race and laps the field every time they run the sport class. If it were me, I would do a quick pre-race visual inspection of the class just to keep someone from being able to place with something controversial and you end up with having to 1) Piss everyone off for leting him continue to run or 2) Piss him off for pulling his 1st place points off the board.

It has worked for you thus far and maybe it will continue to... I have seen this very thing happen a number of times. That is why Tommy Lee pushed so hard to get the Sport B rule that we now have in place. I have wished a thousand times that he could have gotten rules set for all the O/B classes. Maybe you can get this done one day.

Since O/S doesn't build a 7.5cc O/B and K&B is on vacation somewhere, maybe you could approve certain mufflers such as what Mic has asked about to be approved to run in the class. It really needs to happen. Look at the B sport class now. It is the class that everyone loves to get into. If I'm not mistaken, B O/B tunnel was the largest class at the NATS. The D & E class could be the same way one day given some LIGHT WEIGHT guidelines as to what you can run in the class.

For what it's worth...that's the rest of the story.

-Carl,

This is for James and the rules committee.
Can we use an comercially availiable can type muffler like this in the class? Probably a little cheaper than most anyway.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXMMV7&P=0

Mic

Daves got the right heart... but let me ask are you sure? My expeanace with this says that migth not be true.
I question this " pipe inside "

The " muffler " on the link that Mic posted does not have a internal pipe, baffle or ANYTHING.... but i asure you its not " Just " a muffler..

O yea!.. this is fun..

I may only have half my vision but I can see very clearly this turning into B fest...lets go easy...

Grim
So If the muffler in the Link Mic posted is ok to run Is the msgic muffler ok also It is the same desighn two tapers with a long chamber between them. The only thing is that the magic muffler is not adjustable. Also can the muffler have a seperate header and the muffler put on with a coupler

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, this is getting to that edge where things need to be a little more concrete. The only way I can see it being policed is to require all the engines to use a K&B style can muffler (flat ends), or an OEM muffler (for the twin OS entries). Maybe this is what we can implement for next year.

The Magic Muffler is a halfwave pipe, and the one Mic posted a picture of is probably a half wave pipe as well. The magic mufflers have a definite flat taper on the outlet side, where as the muffler Mic posted a picture of is more rounded. Do they both still taper?

We have said from day one a taper is what consitutes (refering to this class at least) a tuned pipe, having a definite convergent and/or divergent cone. The magic muffler will not be allowed due to the obvious taper on the end.

This is the way this class will be run this year, It will be an indvicual basis. We will next year have a more concrete set of rules for the class since we have obviously reached our limit on "what has worked thus far" and guys are puching the rules. Thats ok, its what competition breeds.

It will come down to an individual inspection/decision of the boats, done by myself or Randy Premo as the CD's for this race.

Hate to seem like we are picking and choosing, but at this point in the game its what will have to be done. If you are 'not sure' if your boat will be ok to run, it would be in your best interest to post pictures of what you will be running BEFORE the race.

We could of course all just run regular old K&B style cans, then there wouldnt be any controversy.....naw. That would be too easy. :D

~James

Just for a comparison:

Mic's aquacraft muffler

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXMMV7&P=0

Magic Muffler

4sale_20090117_0005.jpg

~James

That is cool James I If there could be a simple set of rules for the class that every one can follow It should make the class even better. Using the K&B style can muffler Or factory lower unit is good simple to check and can be placed on any engine and easy to make if you do not have one. See ya soon Jimmy

From what I see here things are getting too far off. The intent of the class as I interpret it was to get away from a guy having to buy the latest high dollar mod set up and equalize competition. No tuned exhaust does detune our motors and if you get down to it the OS is somewhat a tuned muffler. We can argue what is or isn't and thats why I posted the muffler I did upfront. No pipe inside to make it a half wave Magic Muffler clone just an off the shelf comercially availiable muffler.

Now to the core issue that maybe we need to realize is some sort of disarmament treaty. Carl is correct that a good "sport" type D class would be the better tunnel starter class as they are much more seaworthy. A few of us have the means to put some high dollar setups together that will eventually dominate. Though K&B is dormant you can still find a lot of good used units and parts are avaliable. Buying a can muffler new and paying a machine shop to adapt it to a Rossi or Nelson or CMB is not cheap either as not everyone has tool capabilities. If you want to keep it sane make it a $300 powerhead claiming class. Per powerhead so a twin 21 costs you $600 to buy the winner. Consider this for the future.

I was going to put a Nelson together to combat the CMB's but I have to side with Carl here. Jay will have a K&B on our D/sport entry. We will be happy to stay on the same lap with Carl & Grim. If you take a trophy home shooting fish in a barrel well thats your business.

Mic

From what I see here things are getting too far off. The intent of the class as I interpret it was to get away from a guy having to buy the latest high dollar mod set up and equalize competition. No tuned exhaust does detune our motors and if you get down to it the OS is somewhat a tuned muffler. We can argue what is or isn't and thats why I posted the muffler I did upfront. No pipe inside to make it a half wave Magic Muffler clone just an off the shelf comercially availiable muffler. Now to the core issue that maybe we need to realize is some sort of disarmament treaty. Carl is correct that a good "sport" type D class would be the better tunnel starter class as they are much more seaworthy. A few of us have the means to put some high dollar setups together that will eventually dominate. Though K&B is dormant you can still find a lot of good used units and parts are avaliable. Buying a can muffler new and paying a machine shop to adapt it to a Rossi or Nelson or CMB is not cheap either as not everyone has tool capabilities. If you want to keep it sane make it a $300 powerhead claiming class. Per powerhead so a twin 21 costs you $600 to buy the winner. Consider this for the future.

I was going to put a Nelson together to combat the CMB's but I have to side with Carl here. Jay will have a K&B on our D/sport entry. We will be happy to stay on the same lap with Carl & Grim. If you take a trophy home shooting fish in a barrel well thats your business.

Mic
It says sport D so im running my K@b and can muffler if i want too run exotic motors I will run run in that class!!!! there are K@B motors all over ebay and a ton of parts !!! so getting these are not a problem at all !!!! I agree 100 percent with carl 7.5 is more stable and easier too drive compared too .21 and we need a class for the beginner tunnel at less expence but this aint happening we are already trying too put high dollar powerheads through a muffler !!!just run the other class and through a pipe on it !!!!!!!

Ok, this is getting to that edge where things need to be a little more concrete. The only way I can see it being policed is to require all the engines to use a K&B style can muffler (flat ends), or an OEM muffler (for the twin OS entries). Maybe this is what we can implement for next year.
The Magic Muffler is a halfwave pipe, and the one Mic posted a picture of is probably a half wave pipe as well. The magic mufflers have a definite flat taper on the outlet side, where as the muffler Mic posted a picture of is more rounded. Do they both still taper?

We have said from day one a taper is what consitutes (refering to this class at least) a tuned pipe, having a definite convergent and/or divergent cone. The magic muffler will not be allowed due to the obvious taper on the end.

This is the way this class will be run this year, It will be an indvicual basis. We will next year have a more concrete set of rules for the class since we have obviously reached our limit on "what has worked thus far" and guys are puching the rules. Thats ok, its what competition breeds.

It will come down to an individual inspection/decision of the boats, done by myself or Randy Premo as the CD's for this race.

Hate to seem like we are picking and choosing, but at this point in the game its what will have to be done. If you are 'not sure' if your boat will be ok to run, it would be in your best interest to post pictures of what you will be running BEFORE the race.

We could of course all just run regular old K&B style cans, then there wouldnt be any controversy.....naw. That would be too easy. :D

~James
Is this what you / they are calling a Magic Muffler? James Beasley

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXZ652&P=ML

James, I posted a picture of a magic muffler a few posts up. The one you posted a link to is not a magic muffler.

~james

Sorry Gabe I didn't think this would turn into this big a "CAN" of worms. Maybe better now than Friday in testing.

Mic

Guess i can't run my triple .15 , unless i run cans. LOLshane
I say heck with the class and drink some moonshine im bringing peach !!!!!! :p
Lets go to a drinking festival and see if a boat race breaks out, like the old days at J'Ville when the keg was somewhere in the middle of the pit area. One thing 'bout Charleston, I've had some tasty moonshine. Last year's winner was Wadey, mmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm.Cuz' had some smoooooooth. In '06 we were at Walterboro Gator had some that would make everyone break out in a fireworks war, Hemric pulled a sneak attack with bottle rockets and it was GAME ON ............. :D :lol: :blink: :unsure:

Guys,

I've been watching this, soaking it all in, giving it some thought. I was probably the first to show up with a CMB "stock" motor. HUM! Maybe ya'll should blame all this on me?

I had several motors laying around and just started thinking how to make the muffler fit to run in this class. It worked well. I think I have had some speed on the other boats but if you looks at who won the last few years for some reason my name is not there? Seems I've heard somewhere...the fastes boat does not always win!

Back to the mufflers, I"ve always been told if it has a taper it is not just a muffler. I'm thinking "now" that the best thing to do here is make a rule that you have to run a K/B muffler. Everyone should be able to get there hands on one pretty easy. It may be too late this year to do so. Anyway I'm coming to have some fun, if I win it's a plus, if I don't it sure won't be the first time! What ever is decided it is ok with me!

Let's start the clock, throw them in and go racin!

See you all soon!

Mark

Guys,I've been watching this, soaking it all in, giving it some thought. I was probably the first to show up with a CMB "stock" motor. HUM! Maybe ya'll should blame all this on me?

I had several motors laying around and just started thinking how to make the muffler fit to run in this class. It worked well. I think I have had some speed on the other boats but if you looks at who won the last few years for some reason my name is not there? Seems I've heard somewhere...the fastes boat does not always win!

Back to the mufflers, I"ve always been told if it has a taper it is not just a muffler. I'm thinking "now" that the best thing to do here is make a rule that you have to run a K/B muffler. Everyone should be able to get there hands on one pretty easy. It may be too late this year to do so. Anyway I'm coming to have some fun, if I win it's a plus, if I don't it sure won't be the first time! What ever is decided it is ok with me!

Let's start the clock, throw them in and go racin!

See you all soon!

Mark
Mark,

AMEN. I thought the original plan way back when was one can used, because it eliminated any misinterpretation as to eligibility. They are little toy boats. It is 50/50 anytime you throw one in either it runs or doesn't. In order to finish first, first you must finish. We are going there to have fun, to make new friendships and renew old ones. Most of us don't get to see each other but once a year, we race our own districts, and this is our Daytona, our Superbowl. It is unfortunate the economy has put a lot of our friends out of touch for this year, Kris and his wife can't make it over, our friends down South America way won't be here, Moron has chained himself to his boats, and the Godfather and Fingers and Guido are working overtime to come.

We've come a long way since '05, it just keeps gettin' better.

Randy

P.S. Grim, I already put your present in the trailer. :D

Moron has chained himself to his boats, and the Godfather and Fingers and Guido are working overtime to come.
Overtime is an understatement, at least for me. I Have three boats to do before Charleston.

Todd N. - Boat is finished, picked up O.S. last night from Mongar. Otto gets everything today to ship.

Shane A. - Yours will be finished this weekend. Otto will rig it for you. It will be RTR when you get it.

Terry T. - I will putting yours together starting Monday. It should be boxed and shipped by the end of the week.

Me - Middle of next week. I finally get a stock boat , yippeeeeeee!

*Note - These are all pre-production Sniper-II's

Bill

Moron has chained himself to his boats, and the Godfather and Fingers and Guido are working overtime to come.
Overtime is an understatement, at least for me. I Have three boats to do before Charleston.

Todd N. - Boat is finished, picked up O.S. last night from Mongar. Otto gets everything today to ship.

Shane A. - Yours will be finished this weekend. Otto will rig it for you. It will be RTR when you get it.

Terry T. - I will putting yours together starting Monday. It should be boxed and shipped by the end of the week.

Bill
well its final with this new boat its deff. gonna be total domination !!!!! never seen anything run like this one !!!!! man i thought my glass boat was fast !!! ohhh it is 59.6 LOL!!!!! Thanks Boss!!! just stirin the pot guys lol

Bill
well its final with this new boat its deff. gonna be total domination !!!!! never seen anything run like this one !!!!! man i thought my glass boat was fast !!! ohhh it is 59.6 LOL!!!!! Thanks Boss!!! just stirin the pot guys lol
59.6 is impressive. I better get back to testing, missed the setup or something. :ph34r:

Bill
59.6 is impressive. I better get back to testing, missed the setup or something. :ph34r:
yea right randy your over 60 !!!!! but you have too finish right!!!!!lol but i figure the new hull will be faster for sure.... hey good news for you lynx guys carls starting production again !!!!!

Back