Canandaigua, NY Test Pond

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are mostly done with a beach launch on the left side of the drivers stand. Last year we only had the dock launch on the right. Stony Pond has very sticky clay and the drop off is pretty quick, so we needed to make a gradual drop off and add some crushed lime stone. A little more tweeking with stone tomorrow and we should be done. The water level is almost 2 feet down still from the draining for the fall 2012 enlarging, so this was a good time to dig the beach.

beach1.jpg

beach2.jpg

Craig you are having just way to much fun in your backyard. With all those upgrades it sure looks like it will become the district one site to be at for a long time to come. Oh is that nimble fingers Bob? Anyway have a safe time doing those changes and I am sure looking forward to coming there.

Craig you are having just way to much fun in your backyard. With all those upgrades it sure looks like it will become the district one site to be at for a long time to come. Oh is that nimble fingers Bob? Anyway have a safe time doing those changes and I am sure looking forward to coming there.
Hi Randall, Those two helpers are new members, Lynn and Mike. There is a fly club in the same town, about 2 miles away, and some of them are going to be racing boats with us next year!

I enjoy working outside as long as the weather is not too cold...

See you soon, spring is almost here. First race May 18-19! :)

Here is where the drivers stand is at now. The 2x10 on the right, that cantalievers opposite the pond, is the left side of the 8 foot x 10 foot CD box. There will be two 6x6 posts at the back of the CD box. It will not be cantalievered when done. The other 2x10 that sticks out is the main support for the 2nd stairs. You can see how you will be walking under the CD box when going up the stairs.

newstand2.jpg

Here is what it looks like looking at the new area from the original part of the drivers stand. There will be 24 feet for drivers to line up and race. The new area adds 8 feet for the drivers and 8 feet for the CD box. You can see that the CD box is 10" higher. You will step up into the CD box.

We are holding 4 races this season, come join in on the fun! :) Check us out at www.stonypond.net. My contact info is on the lower part of the home page. Feel free to contact me.

newstand4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what it looks like looking at the new area from the original part of the drivers stand. There will be 24 feet for drivers to line up and race. The new area adds 8 feet for the drivers and 8 feet for the CD box. You can see that the CD box is 10" higher. You will step up into the CD box.

We are holding 4 races this season, come join in on the fun! :) Check us out at www.stonypond.net. My contact info is on the lower part of the home page. Feel free to contact me.

newstand4.jpg
Ponds looks perfect for a game of Hockey right now. ;)

You may need to install an escalator for the physically challenged group , thats a lot of stairs .lol

Looks great Craig.

Hope it's built strong. Remember we have some big guys in D1. Tom Hulbert, Mike Menter, Chris Blaker, myself included ... and we can't forget Tim ''Tubby'' Kish.

Hope it's built strong. Remember we have some big guys in D1. Tom Hulbert, Mike Menter, Chris Blaker, myself included ... and we can't forget Tim ''Tubby'' Kish.
Randy, BIG step up from the Tin shack at the airport in Elmira. Many years of great racing there, first time I used a fixed pit table and not start on the ground. Great job, Craig. B) ==={}

Hey Ray. Craig is doing one hell of a kick ass job with this site. It's guys like him that keep our hobby moving forward ... and upward ... just look how high that driver's stand is. :)

Hey Ray. Craig is doing one hell of a kick ass job with this site. It's guys like him that keep our hobby moving forward ... and upward ... just look how high that driver's stand is. :)
Maybe we could get the lap counters they had in Elmira , Lou use to get so pissed at me when I would forget to use them. :lol:

Craig and the gang are doing a great job and we hope the club gets tons of support from all IMPBA members close enough to enjoy the facility.

Tim

Hi guys. The final 6x6 posts were added this weekend. Don't worry, the structure should be plenty strong. :) The main 2x10 joists are supported in pure compression. I screw a full length 2x6 to the 6x6 posts just under the 2x10 joists. So the posts are actually 6x8's. The posts are cemented atleast 2.5 feet down. Some are over 3 feet. The clay is real hard and sometimes you can only get 2.5 feet down. The frost line hasn't gotten below 2 feet around here in a long time. The fact that I'm hand digging in February is proof of that. ;)

newstand5.jpg

no not on gassers see Tim as only Nitro on is mind LOL.

no not on gassers see Tim as only Nitro on is mind LOL.
All engines have an optimum running temperature including gas.

I just couldn't tell you what it is with the gas engines in a boat . I do no cold is not good for making HP.

Hats Off to all you guys that brave that sub zero temp.to get the job done.. The sight looks great,sure would like to come up and run with you all. but i would be the one keeping the camp fire going. Again a real nice sight,good boating to you all.

John Otto

Thanks for the support guys! It's much appreciated! :)

The 2x6 compression supports were added and the 3/4" ply floor for the CD station is done. Triangulation was also added to keep wobble to a very minimum.

newstand7.jpg

newstand6.jpg

Check out www.stonypond.net for our 2013 schedule. We even have a float fly in June!

Latest posts

Back