Canandaigua, NY Test Pond

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to see another pond in IMPBA Disrtict 1.

Hope you guys can organize a race.
The main issue with organizing a race would be the size of the pond. It was enlarged a month ago, but not a whole lot. It is now 640 feet long. The north end is now 215 feet wide and the south end is still 200 feet wide. The middle is now 175 feet wide. The island is gone. It will be only 5 inches under water. But, you should not be driving over the island unless you cut the course big time. This winter we have 5,000 pounds of bagged dirt that we need to pull off the island when the ice is thick.

The 9 foot drivers stand has worked out very well for us. It really allows you to see exactly where you are in the back chute and corners. A tall drivers stand makes a small pond seem bigger.

The laser timing system should be up in the spring. We will be able to time top speeds and 1/3 mile oval times. The top speeds will only be on the front chute. This allowed for simpler wiring so that one can record both oval and top speeds at the same time. Since the pond is only 640 feet long, the elaped time distance will be around 280 feet instead of 330 feet. The sensors will be position inside of bouys 1 and 6 so that there is a little more room to accelerate to top speed.

Might be a little small (especially narrow) to hold a race.

Years ago we held a race in Beamsville, Ontario on a pond that is 850 x 250 and it worked out pretty good.

Years ago we held a race in Beamsville, Ontario on a pond that is 850 x 250 and it worked out pretty good.
Yup. The length is the same as Brick Pond in Elmira. But, Brick Pond has a usable width of 300 feet on the north side and middle. And a 225 foot width on the south side.

Another 2 days with a dozer and excavator, and Stony Pond would be large enough for a official race. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yup. The length is the same as Brick Pond in Elmira. But, Brick Pond has a usable width of 300 feet on the north side and middle. And a 225 foot width on the south side.

Another 2 days with a dozer and excavator, and Stony Pond would be large enough for a official race. ;)
If you build it we will come lol.

Tim K

If you build it we will come lol.

Tim K
Tim is right. D1 is itching for new clubs to hold races and your location is excellent. You can count me in if it all comes together.

We have not run boats on the new pond size yet. This spring we will have a better idea of how much more room we will need to hold an official race. But, there may be enough room for racing the A and B nitro classes.

One positive, today I found a farmer that might rent the 31 acres behind the pond. That would help pay for any future excavating.

hard to imagine soft water the first week of february in n.y. some of us d-12 guys might try to make it up this summer. mike/chilli & i have been talking about it.

Looking good Craig. You got Neil workin his butt off? Hope to see the boys from D12 this summer come up north and the boys from Canada as well. June 9/10 is the D-1 Championship. Should be a GREAT TIME. Tom

We are now a IMPBA site, so IMPBA membership is required. We also have yearly membership dues; $35 per person and $10 for family members. This is to help cover the usual costs and improve the site in the future. We do allow perspective members and guests to run for free to see whether they like the pond before joining.

We ran this past Sunday, here is a video.

Pond looks great guys , all your hard work has paid off.

Look forward to seeing it in person.

Tim k

Reminds me of the Beamsville pond. Might be a bit small but a real drivers course. No sand bagg'n or scrubbing off time. Actually, the perfect shape for racing. Can't wait to check it out. Got room for RV's?

Ron

Yes, the pond is still a little small, but it's getting there.... ;)

There is plenty of room for RV's. I have an RV myself. Big RV's would want to make sure the ground isn't too soft as the pit area is a low area and can get wet after a hard rain and in the spring. The piles of dirt on the north end are slowly being moved with my Kubota to the pit area to raise the level for better drainage.

Hi Thomas, Are you racing in Elmira this weekend?

Our new URL for the website, www.stonypond.net

The website will be updated this winter. :)

Here is a picture of the new top for the drivers stand.

standtop.jpg

Blackouts pond has come a long way!!! The driver stand is up, planed excavations this fall (2012) to make it impba size to hold races!!! Its a sweet pond and a great bunch of speed freaks... Like me...he has a web page look it up we are Stoney Pond Boat Club and are going places!!!!! Rcuniverse.com -fast nitro boats- thread is re:central ny boaters go to page 102 to get current!!! Happy boating!! Rick P.

I'm working on to get funds from our Ottawa Valley Racers members it will be in a bit

since I have to wait till our first off season club meeting.

I know it would be nice to get some now before the work starts I will try.

site is looking great keep up the good work guys.

Regards

Luc

Back