B sport tunnel rule change

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You take the weight out of the boat, sand the bottom of the boat to make it true or add a hook or rocker,and bend on the prop. And TEST TEST TEST and when you are done TESTING. TEST some more. This is the secret to a good running sport boat. No engine mods necessary.

So much for wanting to get a tunnel next year.
DO NOT - let this stop you , believe it or not the spill over here- NEVER seems to happen at the lake - go figure
default_rolleyes.gif

If I have in ANY way made your change you mind Sam- please please please- reconsider. You have yet to live until you have raced with the guys I am lucky enough to race with- it isnt the same trash you are seeing here- trust me. After spending the weekend camped out with some of the best racers on the planet a few weeks ago in Sowega- I renewed my respect for the ones that make it fun

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam first time i picked up the controls to my wifes O/B i was hooked had to have my own and yes the guys in Brandon are top notch

DO NOT - let this stop you , believe it or not the spill over here- NEVER seems to happen at the lake - go figure
default_rolleyes.gif
If I have in ANY way made your change you mind Sam- please please please- reconsider. You have yet to live until you have raced with the guys I am lucky enough to race with- it isnt the same trash you are seeing here- trust me. After spending the weekend camped out with some of the best racers on the planet a few weeks ago in Sowega- I renewed my respect for the ones that make it fun
Exactly. We may bicker and argue over the internet, but come raceday, anyone is willing to help the other get their boat to full potential.

As probably the IW member with the most years of racing model outboards and a HOBBICO sponsored racer before Grim started working there, I find this discussion very interesting. I also have the somewhat unenviable record of being disqualified from 3 NAMBA National Outboard Championships because parts of the engine/s I was running were not stock. It's a lame excuse, but the parts were borrowed from other model boaters and I assumed they were stock. However, we all know about "ASSUME."

My experience with allowing the interchanging of parts between different engine generations as allowed in NAMBA has been basically, "What's the big deal?" I need to quantify that this observation has been made with K&B engines. I have not observed performance gains just switching parts. However, I have witnessed performance gains when making internal modifications to engines that compete in the IMPBA 20 Sport Tunnel Class. When I race my NAMBA legal O.S. 21 Outboard in Hobart, I accept the fact that I don't have as much power as some of the other contestants. I just accept the situation and enjoy the opportunity to compete at a very high level.

Since I don't have a horse in this race, I probably shouldn't be posting on the topic. However, I think my post is more of an observation than a position.

JD
Jerry does NAMBA allow you to remove the head shim from an OS Outboard ? If it's stock shouldn't you have leave the head shims as they come from the manufacturer and run the glow plug brand the manufacturer uses?

default_rolleyes.gif
Exactly. We may bicker and argue over the internet, but come raceday, anyone is willing to help the other get their boat to full potential.
Without doubt- and Im pretty sure what makes us overly passionate at times here
default_wub.png

As probably the IW member with the most years of racing model outboards and a HOBBICO sponsored racer before Grim started working there, I find this discussion very interesting. I also have the somewhat unenviable record of being disqualified from 3 NAMBA National Outboard Championships because parts of the engine/s I was running were not stock. It's a lame excuse, but the parts were borrowed from other model boaters and I assumed they were stock. However, we all know about "ASSUME."

My experience with allowing the interchanging of parts between different engine generations as allowed in NAMBA has been basically, "What's the big deal?" I need to quantify that this observation has been made with K&B engines. I have not observed performance gains just switching parts. However, I have witnessed performance gains when making internal modifications to engines that compete in the IMPBA 20 Sport Tunnel Class. When I race my NAMBA legal O.S. 21 Outboard in Hobart, I accept the fact that I don't have as much power as some of the other contestants. I just accept the situation and enjoy the opportunity to compete at a very high level.

Since I don't have a horse in this race, I probably shouldn't be posting on the topic. However, I think my post is more of an observation than a position.

JD
Jerry does NAMBA allow you to remove the head shim from an OS Outboard ? If it's stock shouldn't you have leave the head shims as they come from the manufacturer and run the glow plug brand the manufacturer uses?
Removing the head shim has not been an issue. Maybe it's a case of, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission." Maybe we should all be running the plastic prop that comes with the engine. Bill, your questions are valid. I don't have valid answers. Ron Shaw is the NAMBA Outboard Chair. But, Ron doesn't have any strong opinions on outboard issues. ONLY KIDDING RON!!

JD

default_rolleyes.gif
That is EXACLTY the same with the outboard crew over here...I would give my right nut to make sure we had 6 boats on the water
default_biggrin.png

Although, i am not a fan of people gettng 'attacked' about their 'credibility' on this. People are just giving their opinions then being slammed for it.

Who cares if Mike or whoever works for Hobbico or whatever, the biggest thing here is that they RUN THERE BOATS not the mouths (I do both, so its OK for me)...all the more fun to beat him on the lake
default_smile.png

We will participate in Democracy in action right here folks. This nation was built on the right to dissent. Don't be intimidated either way, vote your position. Rule proposals that are to go to the IMPBA membership will appear in the Roostertail online. IMPBA just had their board meeting and there are 2 proposals going out to the membership (means they will be published online in the IMPBA publication called the "Roostertail"). They will appear in the Sept Roostertail and be up for vote Dec 1st. Voting will end Dec 31st and if passed will take effect immediately. There will be online voting on the IMPBA website or you can print and mail your vote or contact your district director to vote. Which ever way you choose please vote. The membership decides. Members have a long time (1 December) to stew over this, hopefully this thread won't run that long. If it does everyone will hate everyone (except Ron shaw) and the Zombie Apocalypse will begin! lol (Beasley's last post in this thread)

JD
Removing the head shim has not been an issue. Maybe it's a case of, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission." Maybe we should all be running the plastic prop that comes with the engine. Bill, your questions are valid. I don't have valid answers. Ron Shaw is the NAMBA Outboard Chair. But, Ron doesn't have any strong opinions on outboard issues. ONLY KIDDING RON!!
JD
I love ya Jerry!!!!....
default_smile.png

Jerry

Thanks for bringing age and wisdom to this topic. It was not my intent to offend anyone with my post, and I apologize for remarks that could have been stated differently. My statements about Hobbico racers was a throw back to my full size days where beating the "factory team" drivers was the dream of every independent driver. There are a handful of r/c tunnel boat racers, whose very name sends chills through the ranks of up and coming drivers. I am very passionate about my hobby and want only the best for all racers. I wish more veteran racers would post here, but most think this is just an arguement waiting to happen.

I have known Bob for a little time and I can tell you this there is no personal reason for this proposal ,

Might want to read this link .........

He was around the same as I was when Bobby Tom worked for K&B and we got the special stuff ..

Now we are in a time where we have lost the funds to buy the new best out there {some of us }

But would still like to make an upgrade piece by piece as it can be afforded ..

Bobs

motivation allow the beginers and the old stuff to be compeditive ...........

PLEASE READ LINK

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20100815/SPORTS09/308159924

I have known Bob for a little time and I can tell you this there is no personal reason for this proposal ,

Might want to read this link .........

He was around the same as I was when Bobby Tom worked for K&B and we got the special stuff ..

Now we are in a time where we have lost the funds to buy the new best out there {some of us }

But would still like to make an upgrade piece by piece as it can be afforded ..

Bobs

motivation allow the beginers and the old stuff to be compeditive ...........

PLEASE READ LINK

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20100815/SPORTS09/308159924
X2

Well...I got a couple of the K&B SX's before they stopped making them and they run great.....and stock! Yes too bad Meccoa dumped on us but I will put my stock SX up against any stock OS.

The B Sport Tunnel rule change that proposed at the IMPBA board meeting in Evansville Indiana, has been accepted by the board. It will now go out to the membership to be voted on. Please vote yes on this. If you are wondering what my proposal was about, I will explain it. Basically it is to allow the interchange of parts on the same size outboard from the same manufacturer . A good example would be replacing the muffler on the water cooled OS 21 with the one from the air cooled one. This would also make it legal to run a NAMBA legal A stock tunnel in the IMPBA B Sport Tunnel class

no mater how much you spend if your boat don't finish the race you don't win anything as mr jack Garcia would kindly tell me when I first started racing tunnels he was an awesome person

Joey,

"The only dumb questions are those never asked!!"....
default_smile.png
The guys in Huntsville are some of the best boaters in the country. Many of the outboard records that are still held todsy, were set at that pond. I'm sure there are some tunnel guys still there that you can run with and learn from.
I have no doubt! Those guys are great, and poor Bill (bless him!) has had to answer too many of my emails!

So, does the stock class work in NAMBA?

It does in District 8. Probably because those of us still running the class(all 6 or 7 of us) aren't into having to win at all cost. I've actually done OK racing my true NAMBA stock 20 tunnel at IMPBA 20 Sport Tunnel events held at Hobart. But, "built" OS 21 outboards that are legal in IMPBA 20 Sport Tunnel definitely have a performance advantage. Mike Z. has competed successfully for years in IMPBA 20 Sport Tunnel running a stock OS 21.

JD

Yea.. true.. My OS Motors are bag stock.. I guess I miss lead some with the T E S T deal...

I have not made adjustments to a sport tunnel motor in..... 16 years..2000 was the last year I did that with an old 8907 K+B motor.. she was a good one..lol

I then was GIVEN a gold head SS BONE AZZ STOCK)and was told it was crap.. I bolted it to the boat and won TWO Nats with it..lol.. I was threatened on more then one of them to have my motor clamed.. (I was hopeful.. the motor was free...they never got off there wallets..lol)

Switching to OS and it was a steep learning curve. It took me a while to get back up to speed but when there.. never looked back. The first OS motors I ran (WHILE AT HOBBICO) was a hand me downs from the Top Speed Challenge 1 in 2000.. (TRUE).. LOL.. I had to change the bearings as the darn thing was not pickled right.. I ran that motor until the case split in 2009... (maybe it was the motor Bob Ran at the challenge!).

To many people get lost in the WIN.. and not the testing. I burn (burned) A TON of fuel back in those days and knew my boat WELL.. I knew it so well that AFTER I started loosing my eyesight in my left eye and had Double Vision.. I STILL won big races.. It was not my motor.. it was my understanding of the boat, prop and setup.. NO MORE..I have been racing the same sport tunnel design for 19 years.. lol. I need a change.................

Back to Helis, rockets and airplanes...

Grim

To many people get lost in the WIN.. and not the testing. I burn (burned) A TON of fuel back in those days and knew my boat WELL.. I knew it so well that AFTER I started loosing my eyesight in my left eye and had Double Vision.. I STILL won big races.. It was not my motor.. it was my understanding of the boat, prop and setup.. NO MORE..I have been racing the same sport tunnel design for 19 years.. lol. I need a change.................

Back to Helis, rockets and airplanes...

Grim
BINGO! Money/mods alone don't buy results, skill and testing (ok and luck) get results.

Back