B sport tunnel rule change

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary

Welcome back old friend. I tried way back in 1997 to get IMPBA to have a stock class but they shot me down in favor of the sport class. Policing the rules would be impossible with today's racer mentality. Like James said, if you want to win with your OS motor, you have to send it to Gene Mongar. There are a small group of racers that could inspect a "stock" motor and know if anything is illegal. This rule change is needed to keep racers coming to the races. Get ahold of me and I will bring you up to date.

well as im trying to work my way out of boat racing retirement I for one would like to see b sport changed to b stock as namba has with the first 3 places subject to inspection including teardown of the power head. I can tell you first hand what had me on top of my game 10 years ago was guys that know how to make boats run fast( read engine mods here) with a lot of my money thrown in... the sport tunnel I won the masters with for several years running had close to a thousand $$$ in it. box stock would be a good thing. but I am willing either way... keep this in mind though the looser the rules are the more you open things to be modified, pricing the new guy out of being competitive.

just my thoughts and experience

good luck to all of you! go fast turn right !

gary

I have yet to spend one extra dime or spend countless hours working over a OS sport motor.. I pull the head shim.. that's it..

I will say this.. THANK YOU BOB for your open thinking. We do need that in our hobby.

I don't see this bringing in new racers as much as NAMBA OPC rules would..

Grim

have to agree with grim on his last post...

thanks bob its been a while pm me your phone number ill call you in the near future.

thanks

gary

What Bob is doing here is great.I have been in this hobby for 30 years and itn't about mod engines it about boat set up ,props that makes a boat fast and your driving.When I had the time I would go to the lake and spend lots of time running lap with a stop watch and testing that what makes a boat fast.When you start mod engines the engine can go the other way and not help at all.The engines today are made to perform very will.The biggest thing is the piston and sleeve fit and that is what people over look I have seen brand new liners out of round.I have a Stock engine that is 10 years old and I still run it and the piston and sleeve is still tight at the top.and It still runs great.

Good job Bob

I need to call you and talk about one thing.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether it be O/B or any other class out there between IMPBA and NAMBA should be same rules make things alot easier on everyone

With all do respect of the people on IW I really like the site and topics. When I said old K&B I meant I never had a muffler or can on my boats unless it was run in the mod class. It seems like now if I come up with a K&B can I should be able to use it on my boats. As for buying speed I don't mind racing against those guys. It gives me a goal to go after and beat them. Who in their right mind wouldn't like to beat the pro's. Yrs ago Jim Irwin mentioned a pro class to me and I was against it. I wanted to run against the best and if I win, fine if I lose I tried my best. anothe 2 cents worth. ps: just have fun competing

Bruce my wife had a B MOD Tunnel with a 8701 no muffler it was worked on she could stay up withthe best and always ended up high points second i say thats good for a old K&B

That's good Robert. I know yrs ago when they tried pure stock around here people would still do stuff to run faster. I have seen o'rings left off the exhaust or no exhaust flange at all. I have seen people cut out all the little holes in the lower unit trying to get the exhaust out so the engine could run better. I still have 3.5 and 7.5 K&B's and from what I'm seeing of todays new engine, only a few really look better than K&B and I know for a fact they are not anywhere close to being stock. with all that said I just came from the internat in Evansville. I didn't run but I was helping others and I still had alot of fun. I may compete before the year is up but look out for me next year. I like to race and race clean. Don't care if I win, just like giving someone a good run for their money. One really good race keeps me coming back for more.

That's good Robert. I know yrs ago when they tried pure stock around here people would still do stuff to run faster. I have seen o'rings left off the exhaust or no exhaust flange at all. I have seen people cut out all the little holes in the lower unit trying to get the exhaust out so the engine could run better. I still have 3.5 and 7.5 K&B's and from what I'm seeing of todays new engine, only a few really look better than K&B and I know for a fact they are not anywhere close to being stock. with all that said I just came from the internat in Evansville. I didn't run but I was helping others and I still had alot of fun. I may compete before the year is up but look out for me next year. I like to race and race clean. Don't care if I win, just like giving someone a good run for their money. One really good race keeps me coming back for more.
Bruce, it's about a 12 hour hike from Kentucky, but if you like outboards you should see about coming to Florida in November for the Herb Stewart race. It'll give you a chance to get away from the cold and run some boats with the best group of guys you could find. Just something to think about when you're freezing your butt off up in KY.

Matt

Hello Joey, I think it was the 98 nats in Huntsville that we hosted. We offered a specialty class called sport 21 tunnel. Tommy Lee and Rod Geraghty put together some simple rules for the class and we built GO/NOGO gages for the exhaust and intake. The thinking was that if you limit the air that goes in and the air that goes out then the internal mods will not have that much effect. Also back then K&B was still a major player and there was at least 25 combinations of piston and sleeves, carbs, and even exhaust throttle. By the way all of which are still legal. Anyway the reason we did it that way was so we would not have to tear the motors down, a real pain in the butt.

Joey we have 3 or 4 sport 21's in the Huntsville club that are pretty respectable. If we know you are coming to our next practice day I will bring nothing but the tunnels and we can burn fuel all day.

David

Hello Joey, I think it was the 98 nats in Huntsville that we hosted. We offered a specialty class called sport 21 tunnel. Tommy Lee and Rod Geraghty put together some simple rules for the class and we built GO/NOGO gages for the exhaust and intake. The thinking was that if you limit the air that goes in and the air that goes out then the internal mods will not have that much effect. Also back then K&B was still a major player and there was at least 25 combinations of piston and sleeves, carbs, and even exhaust throttle. By the way all of which are still legal. Anyway the reason we did it that way was so we would not have to tear the motors down, a real pain in the butt.

Joey we have 3 or 4 sport 21's in the Huntsville club that are pretty respectable. If we know you are coming to our next practice day I will bring nothing but the tunnels and we can burn fuel all day.

David

David,

Excellent!. I'll be there on the 19th!!!! Thank you!!! I so much appreciate it! I had emailed Bill a few days ago, and told him that I would likely show up to the next practice. I am looking forward to it!

-Joey

David
Hello David Hall,

After I retire to the Nashville, TN area late this summer I will be primarily racing in Huntsville, AL and in Evansville, IN. Glad to hear there are some tunnels in Huntsville! Looking forward to running with you guys. Later, James Beasley

David
default_wink.png
There ya go Joey

Hey Matt, I like the challenge. When I'm ready you'll know it. I have run in Orlando FL, Atlanta GA, Huntsville AL and trust me, they knew I was there. I have competed against Tommy Lee and Steve Newbie at Huntsville. I do like outboards and competing. Its just that now I'm getting back into boats again, my attitude is different. I'm not in as much of a hurry to spend lots of money just to go fast. Its alot more fun and it is my hobby along with golf, and bowling. I'm looking forward to getting all my stuff dialed in and ready to go racing.

Hey Matt, I like the challenge. When I'm ready you'll know it. I have run in Orlando FL, Atlanta GA, Huntsville AL and trust me, they knew I was there. I have competed against Tommy Lee and Steve Newbie at Huntsville. I do like outboards and competing. Its just that now I'm getting back into boats again, my attitude is different. I'm not in as much of a hurry to spend lots of money just to go fast. Its alot more fun and it is my hobby along with golf, and bowling. I'm looking forward to getting all my stuff dialed in and ready to go racing.
Good to have you back into boats Joey. Things have changed a lot since you've been gone. Our 3.5cc mods tunnels today would rival Tommy Lee's 40 mod speeds of his day. Tommy Lee was the best there was in my book. He was ahead of his time by years and some of his records are still standing to this day.

I will try to get up to Huntsville soon to see the guys up that way.

-Carl

[SIZE=10.5pt]Its always worth remembering.. that.. IMPBA SPORT class tunnel boat racing was NEVER “ruled” for the new guy.. it was a bragging rights class for ANYBODY.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Yes.. it seems plausible that a new guy would find this the least resistance to get into racing but truth is that was NEVER its intent.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The IMPBA have NEVER had a successful “Beginner class”. I have seen some good club run beginner’s classes but they are spotty at best.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I don’t like the “fact” that one can warm up the inside of a IMPBA B SPORT motor but it’s a far better option than “stock teardowns” or engine claim rules (witch BTY I had wrote out of the IMPBA when I was director).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]And.. like we see most often.. it’s the classes with “limits” that draw the most boats at most races.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]P Spec[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]B Sport[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Sport 40[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]And so on.. its limits that MAKE this work.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]On that note.. our new IMPBA NATIONAL CHAMPION (Adam Welman) had a Non Modified Water cooled OS on a Top Speed 3.. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Proof again. Its just not broke………..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Congrats Adam.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Grim[/SIZE]

Grim

When I started this hobby 30 years ago they had a class called 20 stock tunnel and the rules was just that STOCK.

Then someone come along and made it B-sport 20 tunnel that you could do anything in side the engine and then is when it all started.

Dave

[SIZE=10.5pt]yes.. and they did this to eliminate teardowns.. (the class is strong).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I would also say.. THANK YOU TOMMY and ROD for making this class what it is (Remember they both came from lots of NAMBA racing).. all the "CHAT" about the class is ONE of the reasons it is so successful.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Givem somthing to talk about..............[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Grim[/SIZE]

I was given the task of coming up with a set of rules for an IMPBA "B Stock Outboard Tunnel" class in 1997 to be tested at the 97 IMPBA Internats in Elmira New York. I doubt NAMBA has anyone who do what I did. I went to all the manufacturers and got part numbers, drawings and/or pictures of every part that went into every model .21 outboard that they offered. When the board saw the confusion to come, they decided to go with the sport class, because everything was black and white. RIGHT!!!!! So we have a class that we all love to run. I have volunteered to try to appease all of you racers to make the class exciting and competitive. Please quit saying that the old rules work fine. I have been involved in too many desputes to think that way. Mike Z, I appreciate your input, but seeing the Team Aquacraft boats blow away the same model boats driven by non team members, makes me question your posts.

Back