AQ 36-56-2030 (UL-1) MOTOR

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will always have problems with any "spec" or "limited" class. This goes back to the 1990s with the non-rebuildable ROAR stock motors in the old NAMBA stock motor classes. The only way to tech a motor back then was to physically tear down the motors and count the number of turns on the armature, destroying the motor. I did exactly that for the 1998 FE Nats in Los Angeles, with the ROAR National Technical Director assisting as we tore down the podium finishers motors in all the "stock" classes. Did this make everyone happy? No it did not. Some folks will always be displeased, just like Dave mentioned above.

IMO the solution is to eliminate any "stock" or "spec" or "limited" classes on the National agenda. These classes are fine for local clubs to run, but for records they should not be considered - for exactly the reasons cited. They cannot and will not be adequately teched to guarantee compliance. In NAMBA we just have two guys who bother to go for SAW records - in all of NAMBA. Should we have special record classes for just two people? IMO, no. Get over it, if folks want to pi$$ and moan about compliance then they can travel to all the events and "tech" everyone's stock motor. It's just toy boats guys. Unlike ROAR where many members think and act like they are driving real cars for money, let's just have fun.

What is the deal, first the OS motor changes TWO little things and the price jumps $80. :(

Now AQ changes NOTHING (that I know of) and the price JUMPS $20!!! :angry: :eek: :huh: What is going on in this hobby, no wonder my kids have not started yet.

TL
Tim,

Neo magnet prices have gone up (because of a marital shortage) causing the price increase.. having said this you are right.. we changed nothing on the motor.. Just the cost of neo going up. Its a price we all incur.

Like Carbon Fiber of the past.. its Neo’s turn!

Thats the truth, the gig and the skinny on the price increase.. no more and no less..

Grimracer
Grim,

I find it VERY hard to believe that the magnets have increased the cost by 33%...how much of the total BOM cost can they be?

Perhaps AQ realized that they have been "spec'd" into the P-Spec racing classes and decided to make a few extra $$$ at our expense. Stuff like this really pisses me off!

None of the other motors I now buy have gone up in price recently...WTF!

Pete

Sorry. Pete.. not going to try to convince you. You have your opinion and a right to it.

Grim

From Neu's Web Site:

"Due to dramatic increases in the prices of magnets in the past year we are forced to raise prices to cover our increased costs."

From a Novak Rep:

"The price of the rare earth material, Neodymium, has sky-rocketed in the past few months. The Chinese government now controls all neo mining and also the price charged to all vendors using this substance in manufactured items. Our rotor prices have quintupled in the past few months making the current motor prices unsustainable."

Last edited by a moderator:
GREAT POST Chilli!!!!

I don't like the cost increase any more than others, but give it a rest... It has been widely know among active FE racers these cost increases were coming.

Later,

Mike Ball

Back