All you electrical guys

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau Parsons

So I have been trying different methods for a cheap reliable glow plug source. I have been playing with 2 Volt batteries, so far my systems works but after three tries the plug gets too hot and melts. My questions is there a resistor that I can add to my current system to reduce 2 volts down to 1.5 volts? I looked online and this electrical field is foreign to me about reducing volts. Any help would be great.

Thanks Beau

you would need to know the desired current through the glow plug, then it's simple Ohm's law. that would either require direct measurement of the current through a heated plug, or knowing the resistance of a heated plug (will be a lot higher for a glowing wire than a room temperature one.)

other downside is you'll need a fairly beefy resistor to handle the current flow, or else it'll just act like a fuse
default_smile.png

traditional igniters using NiCd or the older dry-cell batteries don't really rely on them being "1.5 volts," they rely on the cell's internal resistance to limit current. If you measured the voltage across the plug while connected you'll probably see less than 1.5 volts.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use the 2v battery IF you do NOT connect the battery to the plug until you start turning over the motor first. The fuel will "cool" the plug and keep the 2 volts from turning the plug into a "fuse". You have to watch out if you leave the battery connected to the plug and not spin over the motor, you have some time before it pops.

The other option is to design a constant-current source. It will always push the desired current through the plug independent of the voltage.

The other option is to design a constant-current source. It will always push the desired current through the plug independent of the voltage.
There are constant current adapters on eBay for $10-$15. Claim to work from 6v to 24 v input with a constant output of 1.20v to 1.25v. Power source supplied by you. Didn't look at ALL of them, but the ones I did see were from China )-: Has anyone tried these? Search glow plug igniters, the constant current ones & lots of other options there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just use a diode in one of the wires (correct polarity). They typically have about a .7 volt drop.

Make sure you get one that can handle the current (5-8 amps maybe?). Simple.

Joe

Been using Power Sonic PS 260 2 volt with Sullivan glow cord for several years with no problems.

Alan

Been using Power Sonic PS 260 2 volt with Sullivan glow cord for several years with no problems.

Alan
The reason that works is you're getting a voltage drop due to the wire's resistance. While the resistance may not seem like much, it has a greater effect on DC than it does on AC

Way back in my "Nitro" Days I had a battery box panel with a drop down transformer and diode thru a rheostat to adjust voltage to the glow plug and had connections for the 12 volts to starter I think I even got that from Tower Hobbies?? Couldn't have been to expensive if I bought it back in the 80's??

Later!!

Pat

I use 4ft of wire on two volt battery,like hydro junky the wire is the resister. have used 2 volt for about 6 years have never blown plug dew to hih voltage.

I use 4ft of wire on two volt battery,like hydro junky the wire is the resister. have used 2 volt for about 6 years have never blown plug dew to hih voltage.
Same for me. It works very well. You just have to adapt the wire length to your need.

So I have been trying different methods for a cheap reliable glow plug source. I have been playing with 2 Volt batteries, so far my systems works but after three tries the plug gets too hot and melts. My questions is there a resistor that I can add to my current system to reduce 2 volts down to 1.5 volts? I looked online and this electrical field is foreign to me about reducing volts. Any help would be great.

Thanks Beau
Beau

What plug, plugs are U using, depending on the type of 2 volt battery and the amp output, the hot plugs can reach over 2200 hundred degrees in the combustion chamber when leaned down with third channel, can make the air to fuel ratio become super lean without adding more fuel, bigger spray bar to keep the plug from getting to hot and breaking the wire or blowing the seal. The colder the plug, the lower the plug wire temp, the colder the combustion temp will be.

I currently run a big block engine with a .110 spray bar, turn a lot of RPM's, can not remember the last time I blew a plug.

BTW, I posted a reply on glow plugs a while back, which has more info if interested.

Mobydickk

Back